cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use WhatsApp on data only plan?

Lemmy
I'm a participant level 2

Even though i can't text message having a data plan, can WhatsApp work? How do i access the code they sent me? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Lemmy,

Welcome to the community!

What data-only plan do you have? Is it one of the new Data & Text plans or a Tablet plan? If it's the former, you should be able to receive SMS access codes. However, if you have one of the Tablet plans, I don't think it would be possible to use it for WhatsApp as those plans no longer include texting (see here and here). While those plans would include incoming text messaging, that would only be for usage notifications sent from Fido. Any other incoming messages would not work.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Lemmy,

You will have to get Fido to enable text message on the plan, charges will apply.

Lemmy

Thanks for the info. What if i enable text just to get the whatsapp code then disable text? Will WhatsApp work while text is disabled?

Hello again,

If you have one of the new Tablet plans, there is no option to enable text messaging. That functionality was removed from those plans.

If you had a plan which did include Text messaging, once you received the verification code from WhatsApp, the service could be used if you disabled text messaging.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers