Call display while roaming not working

Call display while roaming not working

Call display while roaming not working

I'm a Participant Level 3

Call display while roaming not working

While roaming (in Egypt), calls originated in Canada destined to my roaming Canadian line don't display coorectly on my Canadian line. Somehow, they get subtituted with mysterious Egyptian local numbers.

 

Text messages, on the other hand, work completely perfectly.

 

I used two different mobile networks here in Egypt to try to see if the issue was related to them, the result is that it was not, I. e, the issue persisted irrespectively.

 

Appreciate your input, in anticipation. 

 

Safa

14 REPLIES 14
Senior MVP

Hello Safa2,

 

  Welcome to the community!

 


@Safa2 wrote:...Somehow, they get subtituted with mysterious Egyptian local numbers....

  Are you saying the caller-ID is showing local Egyptian phone numbers or that it's showing Egyptian characters?

 


@Safa2 wrote:...Text messages, on the other hand, work completely perfectly....

  When you say text messages work perfectly, are you saying the sender's phone numbers appear correct or that the messages are not altered?

 

  To which mobile provider(s) are you connected in Egypt?

 


@Safa2 wrote:..But my tests mentioned above indicate that it is definitely FIDO's problem...

  How did you come to that conclusion? Different Countries use different caller-ID standards (see here). All your tests suggest is that North America and Egypt might have different standards.

 

Hope this helps 😀

 

Cheers

 


I'm a Participant Level 3

1. 

 

Q:  Are you saying the caller-ID is showing local Egyptian phone numbers or that it's showing Egyptian characters?

A: Showing local Egyptian numbers, not Egyptian characters. Lately, all Canadian calls are shown as "Unknown" numbers.

 

2.

 

Q: When you say text messages work perfectly, are you saying the sender's phone numbers appear correct or that the messages are not altered?

A: I am saying the sender's phone numbers appear correctly when I receive text messages. Messages are not altered. There is no alteration to Egyptian (Arabic) characters.

 

3.

 

Q: To which mobile provider(s) are you connected in Egypt?

A: Vodafone, Etisalat, and Orange.

 

4. 

 

Q: How did you come to that conclusion? Different Countries use different caller-ID standards (see here). All your tests suggest is that North America and Egypt might have different standards.

A: Because I tried three local mobile networks here and the result is the same. In this case, Fido is the only common denominator. Different standards have not affected my message communications as per item 2 above.

 

After all, I am only a customer and expect a solution to the problem or a foolproof explanation. Besides, I have been coming to Egypt in the last ten years (from both Canada and other countries where I used to live) and I have never experienced this kind of problem. How can the Standards suddenly play a role in this issue? Perhaps, you or someone else say the Standards may have changed, but my concern is that such a statement is too general and bears no concrete explanation.

 

Regards

 

Safa

 

 

Hello again,

 

  Thank you for the additional information.

 


@Safa2 wrote:..A: Because I tried three local mobile networks here and the result is the same. In this case, Fido is the only common denominator. Different standards have not affected my message communications...

  Again, those results only suggest that the issue is between Canada and Egypt. There is no evidence that the same doesn't happen with the other Canadian mobile providers.

 

  Okay, perhaps the issue is not related to different standards. However, voice calls and messages are transmitted differently.

 

  These days, I imagine most International calls are transferred between Countries via voIP protocols. It's more efficient and more cost-effective.

 


@Safa2 wrote:..A: Showing local Egyptian numbers, not Egyptian characters. Lately, all Canadian calls are shown as "Unknown" numbers....

  At one point (and perhaps still ongoing), Egyptian law stated that all International calls needed to pass through via Egypt Telecom and banned voIP services on mobile networks (see here and here). It's possible that all International voIP calls terminate via Egypt Telecom and get forwarded to the mobile providers via a voIP gateway to their final destination. The gateway could be forwarding the calls via local Egyptian phone numbers. It wouldn't matter to which Egyptian mobile provider your phone connected, the calls from Canada would still terminate via Egypt Telecom if they were voIP.

 

  It also explains why your text messages were not affected as those could be sent directly to the mobile providers without the need for a gateway.

 

  I understand you have never before encountered this situation on your earlier visits. It's possible that previously, the calls were transmitted via more traditional methods between the two Countries rather than voIP.

 

  I admit, this scenario is merely my speculation based on the available information.

 

Hope this helps 😀

 

Cheers

 

 


I'm a Participant Level 3

Despite what is said, my problem still persists. I don't think a reputable provider gets comfort by blaming other operators for clients' problems without adequate resolution or clear explanation.

Hello again,

 

  I understand your frustration. However, the intent was not to place blame. I only wished to provide a plausible explanation.

 

  Fact of the matter is that telecom providers (landline or mobile) have no control over how calls are handled in different countries. Once the calls leave their borders, how the calls are transferred is completely dependent on the destination Country. No blame. That's just how it works. There is no reason to believe that Fido (or any other Canadian provider) would transfer a call overseas with altered caller identification.

 

  Unfortunately, if what I had suggested is in fact true, there may not be any resolution possible. That said, have you tried Egypt Telecom? If, incoming International voIP calls are necessarily routed through Egypt Telecom, perhaps they could connect calls to your phone without the need a voIP gateway.

 

Hope this helps 😀

 

Cheers

 


Hello @Safa2,

 

That is definitely odd, but that would be an issue with the provider in Egypt because you are using their network and Fido has no control over that.

 



I'm a Participant Level 3

I am afraid, you are wrong because I used two other providers' networks and there is no difference. Besides, I contacted the local network providers and they all confirmed that it was the Canadian operator's issue.

 

I was expecting to be in this situation where both sides blame each other and put the weakest person (Client) in the middle. But my tests mentioned above indicate that it is definitely FIDO's problem.

I'm Qualified Level 1

Hello @Safa2 

Apologies in late reply..

Have you received a confirmation text from Fido roam ?

 

Please see the roaming procedure  Here 

 Best regards,

I'm a Participant Level 3

Yes

 

Hey @Safa2

 

I'm sad to read you're having trouble with your call display.  Just to confirm, has this been happening for all numbers?  Also, have you tried resetting your network settings on your end?  If not, I would suggest trying that.

 

Keep us posted!



I'm a Participant Level 3

Hello,

 

I tried to select a few other mobile networks available in the area with no difference. All calls coming from Canada are shown as "Unknown" numbers.

 

Safa 

I'm Qualified Level 1

Hello @Safa2 

 

From searching the library Fido I see that the call display features are currently available  in 2 plans; the unlimited minutes plan and the 500 minutes plan.

 

As long as you have the Name Display feature added to your monthly plan, all the devices should be able to provide that option.

 

Please note that even if you don't have the Name Display option on your plan, your phone is still able to provide this feature if the contact is saved on that device. this the case for your old cellphone

 

I hope this will help you!

I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi @Safa2 

Looks like Egypt would be compatible under LTE band only 2100. Of course the more band compatible the better. There is a different 3g band in Egypt having the same band number 2100 but UMTS it maybe why there is a signal confusion there.

 

It is true that the network in use is Egypt as mentioned by

@KAPABLE-K Fido works through operators agreement 

There and in 180+ countries. 

 

Fido network currently supports following frequencies: GSM/EDGE: 850/1900 MHz. 3G/HSPA: 850/1900 MHz. LTE: Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 17 (700 MHz)

 

 Egypt networks info for gsmarena

4G capabilitiesLTE 2100
2G capabilitiesGSM 900, GSM 1800
3G capabilitiesUMTS 2100

 

 

Here's some more Roaming tips 

 

You can also contact Fido from abroad +1-514-925-4590 (from abroad) free of charge, from your Fido phone.

Hello Scooby-Doo,

 

  Thanks for the input!

 

  The fact that other providers use different bands and frequencies for their networks shouldn't affect the actual call transmission or create any signal confusion. The only issue regarding band/frequency compatibility is whether the phones can connect to the networks. As long as the phone is compatible with the networks (ie has compatible bands/frequencies), it should be able to connect to the network and signals should transmit without any confusion.

 

  That said, to clarify, the 2100MHz stated in GSMArena refers to band 1 (see here and here). On the other hand, Canada uses 2100MHz in conjunction with 1700MHz as band 4. Band 1 and band 4 are not compatible.

 


@Scooby-Doo wrote:...Fido network currently supports following frequencies: GSM/EDGE: 850/1900 MHz. 3G/HSPA: 850/1900 MHz. LTE: Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 17 (700 MHz)...

  In addition, that information should be updated as Fido no longer uses band 17. Fido now only uses 700MHz as band 12 (see here).

 

Hope this helps 😀

 

Cheers