Call display while roaming not working

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Call display while roaming not working

While roaming (in Egypt), calls originated in Canada destined to my roaming Canadian line don't display coorectly on my Canadian line. Somehow, they get subtituted with mysterious Egyptian local numbers.

Text messages, on the other hand, work completely perfectly.

I used two different mobile networks here in Egypt to try to see if the issue was related to them, the result is that it was not, I. e, the issue persisted irrespectively.

Appreciate your input, in anticipation. 

Safa

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
MVP Prospect
MVP Prospect

Re: Call display while roaming not working

Hello @Safa2 

Apologies in late reply..

Have you received a confirmation text from Fido roam ?

Please see the roaming procedure  Here 

Best regards,

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 15
Highlighted

Hello @Safa2,

That is definitely odd, but that would be an issue with the provider in Egypt because you are using their network and Fido has no control over that.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 15
Highlighted

I am afraid, you are wrong because I used two other providers' networks and there is no difference. Besides, I contacted the local network providers and they all confirmed that it was the Canadian operator's issue.

I was expecting to be in this situation where both sides blame each other and put the weakest person (Client) in the middle. But my tests mentioned above indicate that it is definitely FIDO's problem.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted

Yes

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
MVP Prospect
MVP Prospect

Hi @Safa2 

Looks like Egypt would be compatible under LTE band only 2100. Of course the more band compatible the better. There is a different 3g band in Egypt having the same band number 2100 but UMTS it maybe why there is a signal confusion there.

It is true that the network in use is Egypt as mentioned by

@KAPABLE-K Fido works through operators agreement 

There and in 180+ countries. 

Fido network currently supports following frequencies: GSM/EDGE: 850/1900 MHz. 3G/HSPA: 850/1900 MHz. LTE: Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 17 (700 MHz)

Egypt networks info for gsmarena

4G capabilitiesLTE 2100
2G capabilitiesGSM 900, GSM 1800
3G capabilitiesUMTS 2100

Here's some more Roaming tips 

You can also contact Fido from abroad +1-514-925-4590 (from abroad) free of charge, from your Fido phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 15
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Safa2,

Welcome to the community!

@Safa2 wrote:...Somehow, they get subtituted with mysterious Egyptian local numbers....

Are you saying the caller-ID is showing local Egyptian phone numbers or that it's showing Egyptian characters?

@Safa2 wrote:...Text messages, on the other hand, work completely perfectly....

When you say text messages work perfectly, are you saying the sender's phone numbers appear correct or that the messages are not altered?

To which mobile provider(s) are you connected in Egypt?

@Safa2 wrote:..But my tests mentioned above indicate that it is definitely FIDO's problem...

How did you come to that conclusion? Different Countries use different caller-ID standards (see here). All your tests suggest is that North America and Egypt might have different standards.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Scooby-Doo,

Thanks for the input!

The fact that other providers use different bands and frequencies for their networks shouldn't affect the actual call transmission or create any signal confusion. The only issue regarding band/frequency compatibility is whether the phones can connect to the networks. As long as the phone is compatible with the networks (ie has compatible bands/frequencies), it should be able to connect to the network and signals should transmit without any confusion.

That said, to clarify, the 2100MHz stated in GSMArena refers to band 1 (see here and here). On the other hand, Canada uses 2100MHz in conjunction with 1700MHz as band 4. Band 1 and band 4 are not compatible.

@Scooby-Doo wrote:...Fido network currently supports following frequencies: GSM/EDGE: 850/1900 MHz. 3G/HSPA: 850/1900 MHz. LTE: Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 17 (700 MHz)...

In addition, that information should be updated as Fido no longer uses band 17. Fido now only uses 700MHz as band 12 (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 15
Highlighted

Hey @Safa2

I'm sad to read you're having trouble with your call display.  Just to confirm, has this been happening for all numbers?  Also, have you tried resetting your network settings on your end?  If not, I would suggest trying that.

Keep us posted!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 15
Highlighted

Hello,

I tried to select a few other mobile networks available in the area with no difference. All calls coming from Canada are shown as "Unknown" numbers.

Safa 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 15