cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new phone from Fido.

Whitney_Lam
I'm a participant level 3

Never brought a phone from Fido.  Looking to buy Google Pixel 4a 5G.  Can anyone confirm / advise on the following to me.  Please and thank you.

1. I know since 2017 all phones sold in CA is unlocked.  So, is buying this phone from Fido would be the same device I get from Google?  (Like any bloatwares that I cannot remove, any logo printed on the phone, any firmware locked and cannot be removed, etc. from Fido?)
  2. I saw Fido ads on FB using the term "Certified Pre-owned Phone".  Do that means the box is opened before I received the phone?
  3. Currently, I am on a BYOD plan.  I understand the phone is sold to me under a fianance plan for 24 months.  Occassionally, I need to suspend my mobile service for 2 months; when returned from my trip, I will reactivate the service for usage.  Am I allow to suspend my mobile service while the finanace plan is in place?  (I will arrange payment for the suspension and the finanance monthly charges during the 2 months, of course.)
  4. Any other concerns I should know about?

Thanks everyone.

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Whitney_Lam,

Welcome to the community!

You are correct in that all devices are sold unlocked. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that phone model so I cannot comment on whether the device contains any bloatware etc.

As far as I can tell, the only Google Pixel 4a 5G appears to be new. They do have other models which are currently Certified Pre-owned. Those devices are often returned within the satisfaction guarantee period.

If you have a BYOP plan, you likely got your plan when Fido offered their subsidsed plans. Unfortunately, some of the older plan models might not be compatible with the new financed Payment program so you might need to switch to a new financed plan.

With the new Payment program, you should note that you can temporarily suspend your plan services. However, your financing payments would need to continue as normal (see here).

If you weren't aware, you should note that with after bill credit, the bill credit is applied to the account and does not directly affect the actual monthly financing cost. In your case, the original monthly financing fee and bill credit would calculate to advertised after bill credit cost per month shown. However, the monthly financing fee does not actually change.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Whitney_Lam

Thank you for replying so quickly.  I understood everything except how "After bill credit" works or looks likd on the monthly bill.

Example:

Whitney_Lam_1-1616466024173.png

800 ÷ 24 months = 33.34 is shown on the bill (not including tax).

For me in Alberta, it is 33.34 × 5% GST = 1.67

So my bill will look something like this:

Monthly Service Plan Super      100.00  (I am making this up of course)

Usage Summary                            0.00

Payment Program                        33.34

Payment Program Credit            -13.34

GST                                                6.67

Sub Total:  126.67

Total Amount Due: 126.67  (I am paying GST on service and device payment, but the credit does not include GST of course)

Do I have the correct understanding?

Thanks in advance.

I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

i need a new phone

Hey @333666999! Philippe here. Welcome to the community. Smiley

Are you still looking for a new phone? If so, you can contact us here for your options, or request a PM from the community for supprt as well.

Whitney_Lam

Actually, I think I got it wrong.  Searching and looking around, it seems like I fell in the common misconception.  After reading more previous post, I start to understand why they are doing this method.  I don't blame them to prevent abuse as well as keeping you on the service.

Mobile Service Plan100.00Device Payment Plan33.34
After bill credit-13.34GST1.67
GST4.33Device Payment Plan Total35.01
Mobile Service Plan Total90.99Grand Total (Service + Device)126.00

* There is a bug?  Every time I align the columns, it say error and will not let me post.  Sorry.

The offset is applied in mobile service side not on the device side of the billing.

So I am still paying $800 for the Google Pixel 4a 5G.  Fido is offsetting the difference of 320.16 over the 24 months in mobile services.

Not including taxes in to calculation, 800 - 320.16 = 479.84 is the actual price for the phone I am paying.  This is the same (close but not exact) as using $20 / month (After bill credit) x 24 months = 480.00 in total.

Did I finally got it right now?  I am just worried about the suspention and how they calculate then... Sad

Hello again,

@Whitney_Lam wrote:...The offset is applied in mobile service side not on the device side of the billing...

The credit is applied to your line and not necessarily towards services vs device.

@Whitney_Lam wrote:..So I am still paying $800 for the Google Pixel 4a 5G.  Fido is offsetting the difference of 320.16 over the 24 months in mobile services.

Not including taxes in to calculation, 800 - 320.16 = 479.84 is the actual price for the phone I am paying.  This is the same (close but not exact) as using $20 / month (After bill credit) x 24 months = 480.00 in total...

Overall, the calculations work out to the same (or at least similar due to rounding errors). As you mentioned, it's important to note that the price of the phone is technically still $800. With the credit though, you do end up paying $480.

The relevance of the distinction appears if you temporarily suspend your line or end a contract early. If the line is suspended, you wouldn't continue to receive the credit during those suspended months. However, the financing payments are still required during a temporary suspension. So, while under temporary suspension, you would be required to pay $33.34 plus taxes in addition to the suspension fee (using your example above). People have mistakenly thought it would be $20 plus taxes per suspended month (in addition to suspension fee). That is not correct.

Once your line is re-activated following temporary suspension, I'm not sure whether the credit will continue past the end of the contract date or whether it will end once the device has been fully paid-off. Perhaps @FidoSolutions could clarify the situation please?

I believe people who have cancelled their services with financed devices are required to pay the full remaining balance ($800 - ($33.34 x number of completed months)). The credit for the remaining months would not be applicable.

A further consideration, if you were to purchase Device protection, the repair or replacement fees would be based on the $800 cost of the phone (MRSP), not the $480 you would be paying after credit.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Whitney_Lam

Thanks for the clarification and update.  I will double check with Fido support if FidoSolutions does not reply here.

To be honest, I have been using Fido since 2016.  There have been some blind spot issues; it takes some times for them to solve it; but it does get fixed if reported.  Thus far, knocking on wood when saying so, I have not experienced any issue with their customer support.

With that said, I went ahead this morning to place the order on the phone.  I guess the order have to go through couple of departments to get approved as I have not yet received the confirmation as of tonight.  I am not worried as I got very good track record with my account.  I am just anxious to get the phone for the weekend, hopefully.