cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy out cellular fee

bbddesiree
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I have a balance of 245$ till my iPhone 10 is payed off. I thought someone told me if I pay it off I can have a cheaper bill not the 145$ large plan. 

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Bbddesiree,

Just to add to what has already been mentioned... Once your phone has been fully paid (ie contract has run its course or you just pay the balance), your plan does not automatically switch to a BYOP plan. It remains your previous plan (ie large), should you wish to subsidise another device. If you did not wish to subsidise another phone, you would have to switch to a BYOP plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch.

You should note that the details of the in-market BYOP plans may or may not be the same as your current plan. It is not possible to keep your current plan and merely remove the subsidy.

If you wish to switch to a plan with lesser subsidy (or no subsidy) now, you would first have to pay the balance of your phone before you can choose an in-market plan.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

I may be wrong, but my perception is that if I commit to a 2yr contract, then I have to live it out. Paying out the device balance may change the rule. I just tried to change my plan as an experiment and the balance owing of my handset showed up and it looked like I would have to pay it off to move forward.

So, it appears you can change your plan if you pay out the balance on your device. Then pick a BYOD plan. 

Mods, correct me here if I am misinterpreting

You are not forced to stay on contract, you can pay off the tab at anytime and change plan tier if desired.

If you change plan within the same tier eg. Large plan to a different large plan then you can keep the same tab.

Only if the new plan is on a different tier eg. Large plan to small plan or BYOP plan, you will have to pay out the tab in order to make the plan change.