cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing boo boo

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Oh no Fido. I  return to the fold and got the IPhone XS with the $20 monthly cost. Lo and behold I see my first bill and I'm charged the full $53.55 not $20. If this isn't rectified I'll be returning this device.

Thanks Mike 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Proac,

It appears that they changed the way they display and calculate the costs. Are there any bill credits or discounts shown on your bill?

@Proac wrote:...got the IPhone XS with the $20 monthly cost. Lo and behold I see my first bill and I'm charged the full $53.55 not $20....

It's a common misconception that the monthly cost of the phone was reduced. However, that was technically not the case. The device cost shown on the website was calcuated after bill credit. The monthly cost of the phone remained the same but customers were getting a credit on their bill to offset the cost of the phone. If I'm not mistaken, previously they used to show the charge after bill credit cost + (pre-bill credit cost taxes). That used to cause a lot of confusion. The taxes were on the pre-bill credit cost of the device because the monthly cost of the phone was not actually reduced.

Personally, their new method of displaying the costs makes more sense, though one could argue the appropriateness of displaying the reduced financing costs (after bill credit) on the webpage as they do on the website. With the iPhone XS:

iPhone XS.jpg

~taken from Fido.ca on September 22, 2020; costs are base in Ontario

While the monthly installment is not reduced (shown including taxes), the cart summary is showing the bill credit of $33.55, which calculates to their $20 after bill credit shown on the website. Before, people were noticing an increase in the final costs because of device taxes were based on the pre-bill credit device costs. Now, the calculations should be more straightforward. From the example above, calculating the cost of monthly plan and discounted phone ($50 + $20 plus taxes = $79.10) is the same as applying the bill credit to the account as shown above.

**edit** The old calculation used to be:

Taxes on Pre-bill credit cost = $53.55 x 13% (ON) = $6.96

Cost for device installments = After bill credit cost + Taxes on Pre-bill credit cost = $20 + $6.96 = $26.96

So your cart summary would have shown a subtotal before taxes ($50); subtotal including taxes ($56.50); monthly installment ($26.96). Your total monthly fee would be $56.50 + $26.96 = $83.46. The difference in cost compared to above was due to the calculation using pre-bill credit taxes**

Did you receive the bill credit for your device?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers