cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad LTE coverage at Cypress Mountain West Vancouver

ansmalp
I'm a participant level 3

I tried on cypress mountain , It was really bad coverage. LTE wasn't working at all, It switch to 3G which was not working either. I use Iphone Pro , So I know phone is not an issue, I used to be Virgin mobile and never had an issue. Can you FIDO people upgrade your service there.

32 REPLIES 32

Pupper
I'm a contributor level 1

Sometimes. It's very spotty. There is a cell tower up there, but idk whose it is. It's the biggest ski resort in Vancouver, and a Provincial park so it's odd that reception has recently gotten so bad. And someone did die on the mountain today- a hiker. The only way she was located (unfortunately, too late) was because she could phone. Calls occasionally work.

That's very sad to hear. Sad 

In regards to the reception issues, it would truly be best to speak with our technical support if you wish to report that the network strength has changed! 
You can contact us here and request to be transferred to them.

As @FidoAllan mentioned, you can also report any network issues through NetworkAid.

We appreciate the feedback!

Pupper

I've spoken to a lot of people who are Fido and Rogers subscribers. They are furious at this season's spotty data. The Koodo and Telus customers are happy. I'll be leaving Fido after more than 20 years because of this. I need data when I'm on Cypress Mountain. Apparently Rogers even has a tower up there. It's not my responsibility to call and be on hold forever as prompt after prompt discourages me from phoning. Fido and Rogers needs to read their own forums and fix this. Too bad, really, I've been with Fido since it was Microcell. I was charged for over a year for a phone that I paid for and still stayed. But this garbage reception is the final straw and I'll be switching to Telus and getting less data for the same price. You see, it doesn't matter if I get more data if I can't use it.

Hello Pupper,

Had you tried to enable roaming to access the Telus tower as extended coverage (Fido-EXT)? As noted in another post, it doesn't appear that the Fido/Rogers tower operates LTE network in the area. There may be other factors limiting their ability to offer LTE in the area. That said, Fido customers should be able to access the extended coverage on a temporary basis. As I understand it from their Twitter account, Telus had a significant outage in Western Canada about the time the OP started this thread. However, if you note Koodo and Telus customers are happy, it appears as though they have resolved that situation.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Ansm
I'm a participant level 2

It worked with fido ext on Jan 26

cathalog

Wow, the timing of this post is very interesting. I googled "Fido Cypress Mountain" today to see what would come up and this thread appeared.

The fact of the matter is, something happened to the network in Cypress over the past few weeks. I used to have a perfectly capable connection up there, and recently, like the OP said, it is completely useless. The 3G coverage might as well not exist, as I can barely make a phone call.

Has anyone got any idea what could have happened? Both of the Fido-EXT networks don't work either.

Clicking in to the map posted by Cawtau above shows that there is a TELUS tower up there as well. My theory is that something happened to that tower which killed the connection - possibly related to our recent snowstorms?

I think the "SOLVED" tag should be removed from the thread.

ansmalp

Yes Cathalog , you are right, I was virgin mobile in past never had issue, I have been going to cypress mountain over a month and FIDO is worst network there.

ansmalp

I tried again with FIDO-EXT, I went to manual selection of network , 2 FIDO-EXT options were shown, I selected both of them , but no service. So the solution you posted above didn't work. Can you please improve your service there. Other network has the service why no FIDO.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. To clarify though, when you tried to access the Fido-EXT networks, was your roaming data enabled? You would need to have that setting enabled since you would be technically roaming on their networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

ansmalp

Yes, Roming was enabled. Also when Selected FIDO-EXT I did not even have phone coverage.

ansmalp

Thanks for your response , I will try with Telus timing network and will get back to you if works 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ansmalp,

Welcome to the community!

It appears as though Fido/Rogers does not offer any LTE service in that area:

Cypress Mountain.jpg

~taken from here.

Unfortunately, it might not be as simple as a mobile provider merely wanting to improve coverage in the area. In fact, West Vancouver denied Rogers from erecting three cellular towers a couple of years ago (see here). The township of Langley even has their own municipal bylaw regarding cellular towers. In addition, since it's located in a Provincial Park, it's also possible Telus has the rights to provide LTE coverage in the area.

That said, have you tried to enable data roaming on your device? With the roaming agreements, other providers' customers are allowed to connect to a network as extended coverage. You might need to manually select the Telus cellular tower as Fido-EXT.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers