cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBM overseas

Shireene
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

If i used my bbm  service in lebanon, but did not use the internet, texting or calls there, would I get charged?

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

alice
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3
Unfortunately BBM counts as internet usage. You would get charged $0.03 per KB, and there is a minimum transaction of 20 KB. So bare minimum, 60 cents per BBM sent or recieved, possibly more.

Option 1: call Fido to order an international data option
Option 2: read your phone manual to see if/how you can disable international data roaming

and/or only use wifi in Lebanon

Gilou
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

How do I configure my Fido BB Curve 8520 if I want to use BBM or the Browser from France without incuring roaming charges (with Wi-Fi).  I noticed that when I turn DATA off, it also turns off the Wi-Fi.  Someone suggested I leave DATA SERVICES and WHILE ROADMING ON but check off the Mobile Network (FIDO)  

Is this the way to go ?.  

FidoJean
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

It is possible to use BIS services over WiFi.

You need to have your BIS information already setup and must keep the sim card in the device.

I recommend you turn of Mobile Network (To make sure you do not incur any roaming charges) under Options->Manage Connections. Then connect to WiFi, BBM SHOULD work. Data services need to be left on. Browsing should also work.

If using an older model or firmware you may need to change the default browser:

Options->Advanced Options->Browser

Change the default browser to "HotSpot"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use BIS over Wi-Fi, I just did what FidoJean said and it worked just fine for me.