After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

I'm a Contributor Level 2 cody_w
I'm a Contributor Level 2

After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

If I’m in a weak coverage are I can no longer manually pick “Fido EXT” from the Carrier menu. That whole menu is gone after iOS 12 on an iPhone X. 

Note about 3 weeks ago (pervious iOS 11) I did run into that bug where the phone will no longer connect to the network and you have to restore the phone completely from backup. 

Hope its it’s not the same issue. At least this time I still have connectivity. 

Thoughts? Was this a carrier update from Fido or iOS 12 issue?

Accepted Solution

Re: After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier sele

Hey everyone!

We have good news to share: the new iOS update (12.1.1) restored the carrier selection option.  You just need to update your phone from iTunes or in your settings and you'll be able to manually select a network again! Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 72

If this functionality is not restored by Dec 31st I will walk with all of my lines over to Telus or Bell. 

Simple as that. 

You broke it, fix it. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 46 of 72
I'm a Contributor Level 2 chrisck

I have heard rumours of a fix in the iOS 12.1.1 beta though I can’t confirm that personally. Here’s hoping though. I really don’t care where the fix comes from as long as it’s fixed 😏

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 47 of 72

We don't want to see you go @cody_w !

We replied to your PM

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 48 of 72
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Kraven

Well after 20 years of Fido service I’m ready to leave for bell. Basically this issue is a deal breaker and honestly it should be a really easy fix. But yet again Fido proves unable or unwilling or just doesn’t give a about us the customer. 

Good bye fido your poor service is driving a loyal customer of 20 years away. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 49 of 72

Hey @Kraven

The option to select the network is still available when you're roaming so you can still choose the roaming network you want to use.  When you're on our network, the phone always prioritize our network and will automatically switch to the extended network when if you travel to an area where the Fido network is not available.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 50 of 72

Again, Fido reps are missing the point completely. 

The key part of the problem is when we are in a low quality Fido coverage area. Such as 1 or 2 bars of 3G. 

We we want the ability to chose, like we’ve always had. We have had this for years until your iOS 12 carrier update. Everyone who put-off upgrading to iOS 12 still has this capability!!

FIX IT!

T minus 43 days until I leave as well if it’s not fixed by Dec 31. 

Edit: More problems this issue is causing:

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/message-id/42165

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 51 of 72

Hey @cody_w

As we mentioned, we're working on adding this feature back.  When the features becomes available again, this thread will be updated.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 52 of 72

Again all the other carriers can accomplish this. Weeks months is patently pathetic and again shows poor customer service.  Too bad your loosing customers to the competition for something that is easily fixed according to apples tech support. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 53 of 72
MVP
MVP

Hello,

@Kraven There are two groups wanting this functionality restored. You apparently wish to manually select the Fido network to prevent roaming. On the other hand, there are others who wish to selectively roam when they are not happy with their coverage.

@cody_w I'm sorry, but you're the one who seems to be missing the point. Extended coverage use is only meant for when you don't have Fido/Rogers coverage. It is not meant to be used simply because you do not like 3G coverage. Just be cause you've always had the ability to choose doesn't mean you were supposed to have been able to choose. Again, it's extended coverage, not alternate coverage. Have you considered that after all those years, Telus (or the other providers) might be pressuring Fido/Rogers to limit unnecessary roaming? If you regularly are in areas where you do not like Fido/Rogers coverage, perhaps they're not the right provider for your needs. It's a common misconception that any provider will suit everyone everywhere.

Again, I'm not saying that they shouldn't reinstate the functionality. However, it's a little more complicated than merely adding it back. Measures will likely need to be added to prevent the misuse of unnecessary roaming.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 54 of 72

Not according to apple support. It’s not difficult at all. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 55 of 72

Onto a mother note. It’s interesting to see that a post I made was deleted by Fidojulian, because it embarrassed him and was about Jim. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 56 of 72
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

I don't think anyone was embarassed by your previous post. It was deleted because it went against the Community Guidelines:

Keep it courteous: We’re all for healthy debate, but when it breaks down into personal attacks or anything targeting a corporation or organization, that’s when it stops being cool.

I read your deleted post and it was not very courteous towards FidoJulian. I also found your comment towards another moderator, FidoKenny, rather uncourteous. Surprisingly, that comment was not deleted.

There should be a certain level of decorum maintained in the community.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 57 of 72
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

@Kraven wrote:

Not according to apple support. It’s not difficult at all. 

The people you speak with at Apple support aren't likely the ones trying to implement the changes. Yes, it would be easy to simply reinstate the functionality as before. However, they need to add the measures to prevent the misuse of unnecessary roaming. That's the complicated part.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 58 of 72

Actually Cawtau, I do understand fully. 

Facts:

1) if they were being pressured by the other providers, then they wouldn’t be “fixing” this to add it back (albeit incredibly slowly). 

2) business contract between telcos are just that, firm enforceable contracts. Telus isn’t calling fido to say “hey” your customers are roaming too much! No. Every month a job runs and generates an invoice. They send a bill to Rogers/Fido for the roaming used on their network. They don’t care. It’s all business. There’s also reverse roaming in place for Telus as well. 

This is nothing more than Fido dropping the ball on a carrier update and taking too long to fix it.

Apple moved the menu option in iOS 12 and Fido missed the change in the documentation. Plain and simple. Whereas all the other carriers noticed the change in the API and updated accordingly before releasing their iOS 12 carrier updates. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 59 of 72

Cawtau, are you an employee?

However, they need to add the measures to prevent the misuse of unnecessary roaming.”

thats internal knowledge if it if it is even true. 

I suspect this is a theory you have made up?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 60 of 72