cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

cody_w
I'm a contributor level 2

If I’m in a weak coverage are I can no longer manually pick “Fido EXT” from the Carrier menu. That whole menu is gone after iOS 12 on an iPhone X. 

Note about 3 weeks ago (pervious iOS 11) I did run into that bug where the phone will no longer connect to the network and you have to restore the phone completely from backup. 

Hope its it’s not the same issue. At least this time I still have connectivity. 

Thoughts? Was this a carrier update from Fido or iOS 12 issue?

71 REPLIES 71

Hello Cody_W,

Welcome to the community!

@cody_w wrote:...

The "best experience" would be to allow us to manually pick an alternate network when the phone automatically drops us down to 3G coverage.

Lets face the truth, out here in BC, Fido has a lot of 3G coverage spots that are well covered by the other big 2 carriers on their LTE network.....

It's true that if you're outside of Fido/Rogers coverage, your phone should be able to access the other networks with extended coverage (Fido-EXT). That's a part of the roaming agreements. However, I do not believe it is Fido or Rogers who do not wish you to use the other networks while within their coverage. It's more likely the other networks who would like to prevent unnecessary roaming. If you're within Fido/Rogers coverage, the roaming agreements would not apply. If a phone uses the other networks outside of those agreements, those providers would prefer you pay them for your services.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

cody_w

This put this a little simpler. Also alluded to by other commenters above...

If Service provider X (Fido) offers feature A for years and years (as long as you can remember).

Then new software update comes out, and Service Provider X takes feature A away (whether purposely or accidental bug), yet Service Provider Y and Z still offer feature A....

It's justification enough for many people to walk over to Service Provider Y and Z.

Lets also not mention un-related feature B (Apple watch LTE support) that Service Provier X is not offering, yet Y and Z are...

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey again Fido Community,

Then new software update comes out, and Service Provider X takes feature A away (whether purposely or accidental bug), yet Service Provider Y and Z still offer feature A....

To add on the update provided above, this is currently impacting Iphone users on IOS 12. Customers on iOS 12 don’t have the option to change their network settings. This option is still available for others.

We are working with Apple to enable this feature in iOS12 as Apple expects to have the network settings updated later this year. Though we do not have exact timing to share at this moment.

Hope this clarifies.

wadepart
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Facing the same issue.  Just wasted a few hours with tech support through messenger....they would not escalate the issue even though I have two iphones now both at IOS 12 updated carrier settings with same missing carrier option.

Will see if Fido corrects this week else will move to other carrier (on bring your own phone plan) as again live right on the border and need to manually and easily control voice roaming.

Kraven

Same issue tech support plays dumb and suggests they can cripple the phone by permanently blocking roaming. Not a viable option period. 

cody_w

There was ALWAYS a way with iPhone to select your carrier. Example image: https://i.stack.imgur.com/01rvR.png

This is gone now after iOS 12 update. Are you saying the menu should still be there?

I already restored a few weeks ago due to the phone not being able to pickup ANY signal, are you saying I need to wipe and restore my phone AGAIN?

Apple Store blamed this on Rogers/Fido firmware specific issue (eg. carrier update).

Who's working on a permanent fix for this, Rogers/Fido ?

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

@cody_w is correct...after updating my iPhone to iOS 12, the "Carrier" tab under Settings is gone. After installing iOS 12, I was also prompted to Update Carrier Settings. I can confirm this issue only started after upgrading to iOS 12 last week.

Kraven

Sam result here and apple says Fido has to update the carrier settings correctly to fix this issue. 

Hey @cody_w,

Were you able to sort this out?

In addition to Pamela's answer, normally a full restore of the phone through iTunes will fix the issue.

Keep us posted.