After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

I'm a Contributor Level 2 cody_w
I'm a Contributor Level 2

After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

If I’m in a weak coverage are I can no longer manually pick “Fido EXT” from the Carrier menu. That whole menu is gone after iOS 12 on an iPhone X. 

Note about 3 weeks ago (pervious iOS 11) I did run into that bug where the phone will no longer connect to the network and you have to restore the phone completely from backup. 

Hope its it’s not the same issue. At least this time I still have connectivity. 

Thoughts? Was this a carrier update from Fido or iOS 12 issue?

Accepted Solution

Re: After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier sele

Hey everyone!

We have good news to share: the new iOS update (12.1.1) restored the carrier selection option.  You just need to update your phone from iTunes or in your settings and you'll be able to manually select a network again! Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 72
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hi cody_w! 

Just to confirm, were you looking to make a network search or to change the carrier? Normally there should not be anything preventing you from searching for a network though it may not be possible to change the carrier. 

Also, have you tried to reset your network settings? 

Normally if our network is not available you'll automatically go on the extended network if it is available to use. 

Keep me posted! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 72

Hey @cody_w,

Were you able to sort this out?

In addition to Pamela's answer, normally a full restore of the phone through iTunes will fix the issue.

Keep us posted.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 72

There was ALWAYS a way with iPhone to select your carrier. Example image: https://i.stack.imgur.com/01rvR.png

This is gone now after iOS 12 update. Are you saying the menu should still be there?

I already restored a few weeks ago due to the phone not being able to pickup ANY signal, are you saying I need to wipe and restore my phone AGAIN?

Apple Store blamed this on Rogers/Fido firmware specific issue (eg. carrier update).

Who's working on a permanent fix for this, Rogers/Fido ?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 72
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

@cody_w is correct...after updating my iPhone to iOS 12, the "Carrier" tab under Settings is gone. After installing iOS 12, I was also prompted to Update Carrier Settings. I can confirm this issue only started after upgrading to iOS 12 last week.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 72
I'm a Participant Level 2 Steve123456
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi I’m having the exact same issue. It’s not an iOS issue as the carrier settings have only simply been moved to the cellular tab. However, it appears it is only FIDO that doesn’t have the option available. Multiple friends on different networks still have the ability to manually choose the carrier, but everyone with Fido does not.

This is a pretty big deal as I’ve been charged multiple times for roam like home while in Canada close to the border or in remote areas of the country. I got charged a roam like home yesterday in the states where my phone surprisingly connected to a us network even though I originally has the automatic connection setting turned off before it unknowingly dissapeared.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 72

Hi Fido reps, is it possible for you to bump this issue up to engineering and get me a case #? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 72
Moderator (inactive) FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @cody_w,

We can help you escalate the matter to the technical team!

But tell me, were you able to resolve the issue with a network settings reset?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 72

No, a network setting reset does not correct the issue.

I'm thinking, as per a comment from someone above, that Apple decided to move around the menu, and the latest carrier update from Fido didn't take it into consideration, so the menu is inadvertantly hidden for all iOS 12 users. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 72

A co-worker with iOS 12 on an iPhone X has the same problem as well. Carrier selection menu is gone!

No way to manually change carriers to Fido-EXT.

My issue is, in my neighbourhood at home sometimes I get weaker 3G coverage. The odd time I need to manually toggle to a Fido-EXT network which offers LTE.

I can't do this anymore after iOS 12.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 72
Moderator (inactive) FidoRachel
Moderator (inactive)

Let's open a ticket in your account @cody_w

Sending you a PM right now. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 72
I'm a Participant Level 1 wadepart
I'm a Participant Level 1

Facing the same issue.  Just wasted a few hours with tech support through messenger....they would not escalate the issue even though I have two iphones now both at IOS 12 updated carrier settings with same missing carrier option.

Will see if Fido corrects this week else will move to other carrier (on bring your own phone plan) as again live right on the border and need to manually and easily control voice roaming.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 72

Hi FidoRachel, didn’t get a private message from you! Can you let me know what’s going on. This is obviously a serious issue for iOS12 users. That needs immediate attention. 

Thanks. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 72

Hey Fido Community  Smiley

I would like to update everyone on this

We don’t have exact timing to share but we are working to enable this feature in iOS12 later this year. To ensure the best experience we always recommend using the automatic setting on your device. The automatic setting will connect you to another network when you enter an extended coverage area, and will quickly return to our network when you’re back.

You will still be able to manually select the network when roaming outside of Canada.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 72

Thanks for the update, but I beg do differ on your comments.

The "best experience" would be to allow us to manually pick an alternate network when the phone automatically drops us down to 3G coverage.

Lets face the truth, out here in BC, Fido has a lot of 3G coverage spots that are well covered by the other big 2 carriers on their LTE network.

So "best experience" would be to allow us to toggle carriers, like all the other carriers currently allow us to do.

This looks to be an oversight on Fido's part with your last carrier update that came out to support iOS 12. Someone forgot to notice the Carrier menu moved and didn't make the necessary changes in the carrier update.

Let's not hide a clear "Bug" as a "Feature"...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 72