After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

I'm a Contributor Level 2 cody_w
I'm a Contributor Level 2

After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

If I’m in a weak coverage are I can no longer manually pick “Fido EXT” from the Carrier menu. That whole menu is gone after iOS 12 on an iPhone X. 

Note about 3 weeks ago (pervious iOS 11) I did run into that bug where the phone will no longer connect to the network and you have to restore the phone completely from backup. 

Hope its it’s not the same issue. At least this time I still have connectivity. 

Thoughts? Was this a carrier update from Fido or iOS 12 issue?

Accepted Solution

Re: After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier sele

Hey everyone!

We have good news to share: the new iOS update (12.1.1) restored the carrier selection option.  You just need to update your phone from iTunes or in your settings and you'll be able to manually select a network again! Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 72
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Kraven

Ya, me as well. The problem being the techs don’t care, it’s unlikely to get resolved as most wont see the issue unless they are in a fringe area. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 72
I'm a Participant Level 1 weebee37
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi all, 

I believe my issue is related to this. Since the carrier update, my LTE no longer works consistently across the city. Seems like when I go from location to location, the connection drops. I was told by a coworker that the way to fix it is constantly cycle LTE on and off under Cellular Data Options. Seems to work so far. Anyone else experience this? Any news on a new carrier update? I dont even know why I pay for Data if I can't use it, or constantly have to reset it. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 72

It’s funny, all the major carriers seem to have the settings correct for this update. I don’t understand Fido’s lack of ability to correct this issue in a timely fashion. While I don’t work in the industry it seems to me if bell can maintain a correct settting in the update Fido should be able to as well.. yes I know they are working on it but perhaps it’s time to fire the people who are working on it and hire some real qualified techie to do the job instead of the incompetent person currently working on it. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 33 of 72
I'm a Contributor Level 2 chrisck

What I find frustrating is considering this topic/issue “solved”. I’m not really sure how mentioning no that you are aware of the problem and may eventually fix it at some point qualifies as solving the issue. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 34 of 72

@FidoKenny are u just slow on the uptake? Or what? At the end of the day this issue is not solved and to tick this thread as solved is irresponsible of you. Especially as it’s misleading the community! I for one will never accept anything you say as honest and truthful from this point onward. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 35 of 72

Hey there @weebee37

Welcome to the community Smiley

This thread currently deals with the missing carrier selection on Iphones using IOS 12.

You should be able to remain connected to LTE without the need to refresh your connection constantly while you're in an LTE zone. Have you had the chance to confirm using NetworkAid? This is a tool built into the Fido My Account app which allows you to check for coverage and the live status of our wireless network.

We can also take a closer look at this together, you can reach out to us here or we can send you a PM on this platform.

@Kraven, currently the resolution is still scheduled to be at the end of this year. Once we have any update we'll be sure to inform the community. As such, FidoKenny's answer remains accurate. Keep in mind that a solution will be the most relevant post on a thread and this will later be updated if need be.

On a side note, even though your carrier settings are set to automatic we're here to help when you experience degraded service on our network. Let us know!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 36 of 72

Again at the end of this year is not a solution   That is just proving you have no idea or clue as to when you guys are going to have this fixed. It’s apparent you have no clue as to when it will be resolved. I don’t believe you know and this is another lie to tell the sheep. Again apple indicates this is not a complicated issue.  So why would it take weeks and months to implement a simple fix? Why not admit you have no real clue. Also it does seem that there are way too many Fidosomeones weighing in on this with no one Fidosomeone keeping to any topic. So once again you must forgive me if I can’t trust your information to be anything near factual. Maybe it is may it’s not. But one is clear this issue is not solved till it actually gets solved until then you are misrepresenting the facts and reality of the situation. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 37 of 72

Now on Carrier version 34.1 still no option for Network Selection on my iPhone. Works on my iPad. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 38 of 72
I'm a Participant Level 1 swalker17
I'm a Participant Level 1

Quite annoying that this is marked as resolved - it's not.  The issue still exists.  Just because they know what the issue is and have plans to resolve it doesn't make it fixed.  

This is still occuring, and a solution "by the end of the year" isn't good enough. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 39 of 72

Yes it is very annoying. Just yesterday I was out in the sticks and only had 3G and knew Telus had LTE coverage but I couldn’t manually switch to “Fido EXT”. 

Fix ox it Fido!!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 40 of 72
Highlighted
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

@cody_w wrote:.... I was out in the sticks and only had 3G and knew Telus had LTE coverage but I couldn’t manually switch to “Fido EXT”....

Are you sure you are supposed to be able to switch providers as you suggest. I understand that you have always been able to switch providers as you wished previously. However, is it possible that was an iOS loophole they're trying to close?

The domestic roaming deals were originally signed between Rogers (including Fido), Bell, Telus and Videotron to extend coverage and offer seamless roaming between carrier partners in areas with poor or absent service. If you have 3G coverage, you have coverage.

With android, I have never been able to register on Fido-EXT if I have adequate Fido/Rogers coverage.

Screenshot_2018-11-12-11-12-56.png

If I have poor or no Fido/Rogers coverage, I have been able to manually switch to Fido-EXT. However, if I do have home network coverage, the other providers simply refuse to register the device on their networks.

It's possible that Apple's Global database has been inadvertently allowing extended coverage use in situations where it was never intended.

As far as I am aware, the manual selection option is available when roaming outside of Canada. That further suggests that the issue has to do with the Canadian roaming agreements. I understand the option to manually select networks is available with the other providers. I'm not saying they shouldn't reinstate the functionality. There are certainly situations where it might be necessary to manually gain access to extended coverage. However, don't be surprised if the other providers find a way to restrict network registration if you have adequate home coverage. Don't you think Telus would prefer you pay them for using their services rather than Fido? After all, it is extended coverage, not alternative coverage.

I'm sure some people will disagree, but it is something to consider...

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 41 of 72

I doubt it would be a loophole for 3 years. 

And with Fido, 3G is NOT coverage. Especially as Fido has said they will correct this by the end of the year. 

I define coverage as the ability to browse the web and check my email. Fido 3G in many parts of BC doesn’t offer that. So to you 3G may mean coverage, to me it means switch to Fido-EXT. 

or or I’ll switch to Telus or Bell permanently. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 42 of 72
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

@cody_w wrote:...So to you 3G may mean coverage, to me it means switch to Fido-EXT....

And to Telus, that might mean breach of roaming agreement...

As previously mentioned, I don't think it's Fido or Rogers who do not wish you to use the other networks while within their coverage. It's more likely the other networks who would like to prevent unnecessary roaming. Just because Fido/Rogers say they will reinstate the manual selection functionality does not mean Telus (or Bell, or Videotron) won't find a way to restrict access on their networks if within Fido/Rogers coverage. They already do with android.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 43 of 72

Hey @cody_w!

If you're in an area where we offer coverage then connecting to Extended coverage would not be an option as we offer service in that location. For info on where extended is offered we suggest checking out coverage map here

This said, 3G coverage does allow you to browse and use your phone just like you would on LTE; although speeds may be a little slower you're still well within coverage and this should not prevent you from using your services.

We'd really hate to see you go over this and we can look into why your 3G service was not working well. We'll send you a PM Smiley

See you there! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 44 of 72

This doesn't seem to be an issue with Telus/Bell but rather with an interaction between iOS12 and the Rogers/Fido carrier settings. The functionality is still there on iPhones on the Telus and Bell networks and in fact on my iPad on the Fido network. 

Additionally I might add that I have areas where I work where there is no Fido data connectivity at all, but that as long as there is a single bar of cell service the phones will not roam onto the available Telus network so it's definitly an issue for me.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 45 of 72