Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 messages, $80?! - Zone 4 Daily Internet Rate

sleepingbullets
I'm a participant level 1

I have a problem with a charge on my Fido bill that reads:

Event - Zone 4 Daily Internet Rate - 8 msgs - $79.92

What is this and how could you guys seriously justify charging nearly $80 for something I unwittingly used on a layover in Egypt? What happened to Fido Roam on my plan? Especially while right next to me my girlfriend on Koodo is able to use her phone normally with no problem for $12/day. As soon as I received your “Welcome to Africa” text message explaining the pathetic “$9.99/day for 3MB” I immediately thought, NOPE, and went into airplane mode. Unfortunately it looks like the damage to my bill had already been done (from emails or notifications rolling in??). What I don’t understand is it says these charges are for messages and not data… So which is it? I’ve been a loyal customer with you guys for 10 years but if I can’t get someone to clear this from my bill I think I might ditch Fido and look elsewhere. Absolutely ridiculous. 

3 REPLIES 3

FidoAllan

Hey there @sleepingbullets !

First of all, welcome to the Community and thank you so much for being with us for such a long time, it means a lot! Smiley

I can definitely understand how a bill like that can be surprising. Thanks for reaching out and taking the time to share your concerns here on the Community.

As per our website, Egypt isn't included in Fido Roam and the pay per use rates were explained on the SMS you received. To avoid any roaming fees, you have to make sure that your mobile/roaming data is turned off, to not send texts and to not make/receive phone calls.

You can also put your phone on airplane mode, turn off the device or remove the SIM. 

You must have disabled your airplane mode a few times to allow the notifications to be received.

Even while not in use, a device is always using data in the background, especially when notifications are coming in.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us here if you have any questions or if you'd like us to have a look on your bill, or we can also send you a message directly here on the community. Let us know! 

MMKG

I have been charged 89.91 $ when I was in Egypt airport for only 2 hours. I did not know that rates are that high and then when I checked my bill it said zone 4 daily internet rate. The sms that I received when I turned my phone on, it was from (#TAXI) which is unknown to me and it might be a hoax. Now when I check your website I can see that Egypt is covered with FIDO ROAM, so why do you charge me the other rates while it was only 2 hours which should have been 12 $ a day. This is unacceptable and I want to talk to the highest manager for that matter. My account number is XXXXXXXXX. Those issues should be clearly explained and clarified on your website prior to traveling and should be accessible easily and not one gets surprized when you have to use your phone to contact people waiting for you.

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @MMKG!

Welcome to the Community!

I can definitely understand your surprise when opening your bill. Unexpected charges are never fun!

That said, we do eveything we can to remain transparent about all possible charges applicable for your services.

When you arrive in a foreign location and connect to the network, we immediately send you an SMS letting you know what kind of charges would apply for any use while in that country. 

You can also find all the info you need about roaming rates and other applicable info here. It's best to check this page before you leave Canada so that you are fully prepared for your trip. 

Between which dates were you travelling in Egypt?

Egypt was only recently added to FidoRoam so any use in Egypt prior to September 11th would not be covered by FidoRoam.