cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Own Router with Fido Internet?

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Fido's new internet service comes with a built-in WiFi Modem. I would like to know if Fido's WiFi modem can be setup to bypass the built-in WiFi feature and a separate router be used instead? That is, I currently have a high-end Linksys (Cisco) router and want to use with it with Fido Internet, is this possible? I want to use my own router with the Fido modem.

*Edited to add label*

7 REPLIES 7

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

@FidoNick , thanks for the updated information for my original thread. You mentioned that only the Hitron CGN3 Series Modem has the bridge mode to use an external wireless router. If I order Fido internet online, how do I know if Fido will send me the correct modem?

Hey @nick67  Very_Happy

Both modems available for new activations at the moment are part of the Hitron CGN3 Series! 

Depending on when a Home Internet service was activated, existing customers may still have older versions.

Hope this clarifies. Smiley

qwerty456
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

That link leads to a list of FAQs that don't have anything to do with the question at hand. 

Hey @qwerty456!

Seems the page was changed, here's the information. Keep in mind only the Hitron CGN3 Series Modem can be put in bridge mode. Here's how:

1. Directly connect an Ethernet cable from the modem to the computer.

2. Open a web browser and enter the following address to access the gateway login page: 192.168.0.1.

3. Login with:

• Username: cusadmin
  • Password: password (or your current WiFi password)
  • Once the Basic page has loaded, click the Gateway Function.

4. Toggle the Residential Gateway function box from Enabled to Disabled.

5. Click OK and the gateway will restart

Once the modem is online, plug a device into port one to test the connectivity. 

While in bridged mode, only port one will be active on the gateway. Note: If you want to put the modem back into gateway mode, factory reset the modem by pressing the reset button on the back for more than 10 seconds.

Hope that helps Smiley 

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey nick67!

Great question. I'll need to get back to you on this one Smiley

FidoStephen

Hey Nick67!

So, yes, it is possible! You would just need to put the gateway into Bridge mode. Click here for more info.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Awesome! Thanks for the fast reply Smiley