cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support for home Internet

lobotiger
I'm a participant level 3

Hi, I was wondering if Fido has any plans for deploying IPv6 to their home internet customers?  I just recently signed up with the 60M/10M promo plan and while Rogers is now offering it with a similar modem, I was curious if Fido is ready as well?  I'm willing to help test as well.  Smiley

Thanks.

LoboTiger

**Edited to add label**

14 REPLIES 14

lobotiger

Hi, I just signed up for Fido internet after being gone for a couple of years.  I'm wondering what the status is for support of IPv6?  I have my modem setup in bridge mode and my firewall seems to have an IPv6 address on the WAN interface, but I'm wondering if there are any specific instructions on what I need to do for my LAN side?  When I was with Rogers I had to configure things a certain way to get IPv6 working and I would like to know if Fido's setup is similar or different.

Thanks.

Hi @lobotiger

You can find the answer about the status for the support of IPv6 in this thread. If it changes we will update it! Smiley 

ivan_yu
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

My router has IPv6 enabled as passthrough, but I don't seem to get an address assigned by Fido

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @lobotiger

Still no changes yet! We'll be sure to update this thread if things change Smiley

For anything else, you can always reach out to our home internet technical support team by phone or live chat 24/7 here

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@lobotiger I though they were supporting IPv6 already whats the model number of your modem?

lobotiger

It's a Hitron CGN3AMF.  Just activated the service this past Tuesday and I've switched it over to bridge mode with a pfsense firewall plugged in behind it.  So far the firewall is not receiving any IPv6 prefixes.

LoboTiger

lobotiger

Anyone?  How about Fido support, can you find out if IPv6 is enabled for us or if we have to request it individualy?

Thanks.

LoboTiger

kr62
I'm a contributor level 1
The Fido modem has still NOT been certified for IPV6 on the Rogers network. The last I heard it was still undergoing testing, but there is NO ETA on when Fido users will get IPV6. My guess is they will probably focus on the Rogers modems before tackling Fido. And currently the Rogers CODA-4582 has a few issues, including incompatibility with IPV6.

kr62
You do have the option to use Rogers 6rd services, which work perfectly find on Fido Internet. Keep in mind the 6rd tunnel is limited to 25mpbs max download. http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/highlight/true...

lobotiger

Great, thank you for the responses everyone.  I guess I'll hold off for now...might end up reestablishing my HE tunnel I was using before until I can get a proper dual stack setup with Fido.

LoboTiger

Hey lobotiger, 

We were able to confirm that the Fido Internet Modem (Hitron CGN3AMF) is definitely IPv6 compatible. However we do not currently have any scheduled deployment to switch our customers from IPv4 to IPv6. 

I hope this helps clear things up a little. Smiley 

Hey @lobotiger! Smiley

Our modems are IPv6 compatible. As for if we actually offer it on our plans, I will need to get back to you about this. 

kr6
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Digging up an old article. Has Fido Internet officially rolled out IPV6 support and with prefix deligation? Switch back to Fido Internet after being away for many years and I can now get IPv6 on the WAN. I have /56 prefix selected which worked on Rogers. However, Fido does not issue any IP to my VLANs. What is the official status of IPv6?

Hi @kr6

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. 

We haven’t received communications that there will be a switch to iPv6. Keep in mind though that the gateway does support IPv6, but the prefix /64 does not allow for subnetting or assigning VLANs.