cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Internet: Switch Rogers to Fido Questions

user201612
I'm a participant level 1

I am interested to sign up Fido home Internet due to recent 3 months free promotion.

Here are my questions
1) I would like to sign up Fido and install it before I contact Rogers to cancel my recent plan. Reason is to avoid internet blackouts. I just wonder if I disappoint with Fido can I reinstall my Rogers cable box without calling Rogers?

2) if I decide to keep Fido, and called Rogers to cancel. Is it immediately cancel? Or I still have to give them 30 days notice (it means pay extra 30 days)

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

qj1
I'm a contributor level 1

Yes. I will like to try FIDO Internet before cancelling my Rogers Internet. I have already signed up for FIDO plan, received FIDO Modem and have replaced the Rogers Modem with FIDO Modem. All devices seem to work fine with the new modem but theys are still using Rogers Internet. How do I activate FIDO Internet without cancelling Rogers and try it out . .  . till I have decided that I am satisfied with FIDO Internet?

Hey @qj1 !

Welcome to the Community. Very_Happy

Have you already set up your Fido Wi-Fi, using the steps here?

If so, you'll want to select the Fido Wi-Fi network from your devices manually, instead of the Rogers Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps!

qj1

Yes, I did. When the modem was powered up my computer did show connecting to FIDO****EasyNet. I followed the instructions to customize and chose the same name for my network as in the past with Rogers.  All devices seem to work fine with the new modem.

My Internet Sevice with Rogers is supposed to be active till April  5, 2021 and when I go to WHOISMYISP.ORG site, it does shows "Rogers Communications Canada Inc." as my ISP.  So, I am still using Rogers Internet Service.

My question is: How do I activate FIDO Internet Service without cancelling Rogers and try it out . .  . till I have decided that I am satisfied with FIDO Internet Service? The catch is that my computer is connected to the modem via ethernet cable so there is no choice of picking up this or that ISP! 

In case you say that I am actually using FIDO as my ISP then my question will be: How do I switch between FIDO and Rogers till April 5,2021? 

Thanks.

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thank you for clarifying @qj1

The Fido Home Internet connectivity is delivered through the robust Rogers cable internet network. In this case it would be normal to still see Rogers Communication come up as your ISP. If you would like to test the two separately, you would have to unplug the Fido modem and plug back in the Rogers one. Keep in mind that you would be connecting to the same network, just different modems. 

I hope this helps clarify things. 🙂

qj1

I tried it with both Rogers and FIDIO Modems.

With Rogers Modem: WHOISMYISP.ORG shows: Your IP: 99.245.212.30 · ISP: Rogers Communications Canada Inc.

Your ISP: Rogers Communications Canada Inc. also known as 'Rogers Cable Inc. WLFDLE'

With Fido Modem,     WHOISMYISP.ORG shows: Your IP: 2607:9880:2c98:120:7502:e9c:b517:338 · 

Your ISP: Rogers Communications Canada Inc

Speed with Rogers Modem shows as: 860 Mbps 

and  with FIDO   Modem shows as::288 Mbps

I am happy that although FIDO commitment is for "upto150 Mbps", I am actually getting 330 Mbps. Can't complain  ðŸ˜Š

qj1

My contract with Fido is for max 150 mbps and with Rogers it is 1Gbps. I am currently coonected via ethernet to my Fido modem. Fast.com shows my speed as 330mbps. Is it possible that despite Fido modem I am still using Rogers?  

qj1

It sure does! Thanks vey much for your help.

It was our pleasure, @qj1. Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions! 😃

lisa335

Hi there,

I'm considering switching my internet service from Rogers to Fido. When I spoke with a rep a few months ago, she had advised that I wouldn't be able to keep my Rogers email address.

Do you provide the ability to set up an alias email, so that I can still receive emails that would normally go to my Rogers email? Is that possible?

Thanks, 

Lisa M.

qj1

@lisa335, I apologize. There was a finger problem! My previous post wasn't meant for you. Please ignore it.

qj1

Yes, I did. When the modem was powered up my computer did show connecting to FIDO****EasyNet. I followed the instructions to customize and chose the same name for my network as in the past with Rogers.  All devices seem to work fine with the new modem.

My Internet Sevice with Rogers is supposed to be active till April  5, 2021 and when I go to WHOISMYISP.ORG site, it does shows "Rogers Communications Canada Inc." as my ISP.  So, I am still using Rogers Internet Service.

My question is: How do I activate FIDO Internet Service without cancelling Rogers and try it out . .  . till I have decided that I am satisfied with FIDO Internet Service? The catch is that my computer is connected to the modem via ethernet cable so there is no choice of picking up this or that ISP! 

In case you say that I am actually using FIDO as my ISP then my question will be: How do I switch between FIDO and Rogers till April 5,2021? 

Thanks.

Hey @lisa335

This would not be an option on our side.  However, you can definitely contact Rogers before you make the switch to verify if there's something they can do to forward your email to a different address!

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey user201612!

Welcome to the Community!

It's great to hear that you're interested in making the switch to Fido for your Home Internet.

In this situation, you have two options.

We can actually port over your Rogers Home Internet service. In that case, you wouldn't actually need to contact Rogers at all to deactivate your service. We would request the cancellation for you. It would take about 3 days to cancel your Rogers Internet and you’d still be responsible for any outstanding charges or early cancellation fees (if applicable) related to your Rogers Internet account. Once your Fido Home Internet account is active and your Rogers Internet account has been deactivated, you will be able to return the Rogers modem at a Rogers retail store or call Rogers and arrange a modem return.

Now, If you would like to try out our Home Internet service for a little while before you make the dive and fully switch over, another option would be to simply activate a new Fido Home Internet account, without touching your Rogers Internet account. It is possible to have both Fido and Rogers Internet at the same address, at the same time. After you have tested out our service, you can make the decision as to which one you would like to keep and close the one that you no longer need. 

I wouldn't be able to comment on Rogers' policy in terms of deactivation. That's something that you would have to ask them about. On our end, there is no advanced notice required, we can close your account on the same day if that's what you need. 

I hope this clarifies everything. Let us know if you have any other questions. Smiley