Home Internet: Switch Rogers to Fido Questions

I'm a Participant Level 1

Home Internet: Switch Rogers to Fido Questions

I am interested to sign up Fido home Internet due to recent 3 months free promotion.

Here are my questions
1) I would like to sign up Fido and install it before I contact Rogers to cancel my recent plan. Reason is to avoid internet blackouts. I just wonder if I disappoint with Fido can I reinstall my Rogers cable box without calling Rogers?

2) if I decide to keep Fido, and called Rogers to cancel. Is it immediately cancel? Or I still have to give them 30 days notice (it means pay extra 30 days)

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Home Internet: Switch Rogers to Fido Questions

Hey user201612!

Welcome to the Community!

It's great to hear that you're interested in making the switch to Fido for your Home Internet.

In this situation, you have two options.

We can actually port over your Rogers Home Internet service. In that case, you wouldn't actually need to contact Rogers at all to deactivate your service. We would request the cancellation for you. It would take about 3 days to cancel your Rogers Internet and you’d still be responsible for any outstanding charges or early cancellation fees (if applicable) related to your Rogers Internet account. Once your Fido Home Internet account is active and your Rogers Internet account has been deactivated, you will be able to return the Rogers modem at a Rogers retail store or call Rogers and arrange a modem return.

Now, If you would like to try out our Home Internet service for a little while before you make the dive and fully switch over, another option would be to simply activate a new Fido Home Internet account, without touching your Rogers Internet account. It is possible to have both Fido and Rogers Internet at the same address, at the same time. After you have tested out our service, you can make the decision as to which one you would like to keep and close the one that you no longer need. 

I wouldn't be able to comment on Rogers' policy in terms of deactivation. That's something that you would have to ask them about. On our end, there is no advanced notice required, we can close your account on the same day if that's what you need. 

I hope this clarifies everything. Let us know if you have any other questions. Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey user201612!

Welcome to the Community!

It's great to hear that you're interested in making the switch to Fido for your Home Internet.

In this situation, you have two options.

We can actually port over your Rogers Home Internet service. In that case, you wouldn't actually need to contact Rogers at all to deactivate your service. We would request the cancellation for you. It would take about 3 days to cancel your Rogers Internet and you’d still be responsible for any outstanding charges or early cancellation fees (if applicable) related to your Rogers Internet account. Once your Fido Home Internet account is active and your Rogers Internet account has been deactivated, you will be able to return the Rogers modem at a Rogers retail store or call Rogers and arrange a modem return.

Now, If you would like to try out our Home Internet service for a little while before you make the dive and fully switch over, another option would be to simply activate a new Fido Home Internet account, without touching your Rogers Internet account. It is possible to have both Fido and Rogers Internet at the same address, at the same time. After you have tested out our service, you can make the decision as to which one you would like to keep and close the one that you no longer need. 

I wouldn't be able to comment on Rogers' policy in terms of deactivation. That's something that you would have to ask them about. On our end, there is no advanced notice required, we can close your account on the same day if that's what you need. 

I hope this clarifies everything. Let us know if you have any other questions. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

Hi there,

I'm considering switching my internet service from Rogers to Fido. When I spoke with a rep a few months ago, she had advised that I wouldn't be able to keep my Rogers email address.

Do you provide the ability to set up an alias email, so that I can still receive emails that would normally go to my Rogers email? Is that possible?

Thanks, 

Lisa M.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

Hey @lisa335

This would not be an option on our side.  However, you can definitely contact Rogers before you make the switch to verify if there's something they can do to forward your email to a different address!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4