Fido Home Internet is Very Slow

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Fido Home Internet is Very Slow

Hi,

So I bought the Fido 150 Mbps unlimited home internet like 2 weeks ago, and I've been having slowness and sometimes signal drops. Fast.com, Speedtest showed speeds of below 50 Mbps and sometimes below 10 Mbps.

The modem is fixed in the other room and using WIFI to connect a Laptop, 2 Phones, Smart TV and a Google Nest Mini. Do not have a Ethernet connector in Laptop to check wired speed.

Followed up several times with Customer Care and Technical but still same issue,

1. Changed the modem - No change in speed

2. WIFI optimized by Fido Technical - No change in speed

3. Technician visited and changed the connectors outside - No change in speed

4. Connected to 2.4G & 5G signals - No change in speed

Does connecting through WIFI affect the speed so much? Has anyone had such issue? What should be done about this?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 17
Highlighted

Re: Fido Home Internet is Very Slow

Hello @APL_866,

You should be doing the speed test through the ethernet connection and not over WiFi as there are many factors that can slow/interfere with your WiFi signal. Walls, appliances and even your neighbour's WiFi can interfere with your WiFi signal.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted

But this is same even though I'm closer to the modem, like even few inches away.

I can't test through Ethernet since no port in laptop.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 17
Highlighted

Hello again @APL_866,

It doesn't matter if you are close to the router, to gauge a true speed test it needs to be done through the ethernet connection. Your WiFi signal can be picking up interference from many things and creating a lot of noise in the signal hence giving your poor speeds. Your neighbor could be on the same channel as your WiFi and the two will clash and create noise in the signal.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the Fido connection it very well could be but the only way to determine that is you would need to do the test through the ethernet connection.

There are also lots of WiFi analyzer apps that could give you info on the signals around you and tell you the noise levels and even recommend what channels would be better for you to use.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 17
Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestion and explaining. No, my connection is not in the same channel as the neighbors. Any specific WIFI analyzer?

Is there a way to boost the signals? Otherwise, I might as well go for a different service provider.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 17
Highlighted

Hey @APL_866,

How did you determine your WiFi is not running on the same channels as your surrounding neighbors?

I currently use this app to determine the best channel for my WiFi.

Is your modem on a line that has a splitter if it is try taking off the splitter or try connecting the modem to the mainline and see if it make any difference.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 17
Highlighted

I used a different app in Google Store to check the channel.

Will use this app and see.

No, there is no splitter used. Its fixed directly in to the wall outlet.

How can I change the channel?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 17
Highlighted

Hey @APL_8661

If you have our internet that goes up to 150Mbps, you definitely should be getting faster speeds.

Can you check again with our tech support directly at 1-888-259-3436?

That said, in terms of changing channel, it may be possible through the modem settings however it's not something we officially support.

Hope that helps Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted

Hey @APL_866,

When I was talking about the WiFi channels it was merely examples as to why you should not be doing the speed test over WiFi. The test should be done over ethernet, as @FidoNick suggest you should contact the internet tech department again.

In certain cases, once both parties agree the tech can come inside and do the test with his laptop and try to isolate the issue.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 17
Highlighted

Hi Nick, I did contact them like several times.

1. At one time a technician was supposed to come and was scheduled, but he called me and said that he will not come since its due to a problem with the area. That will be fixed within 3-4 days - Nothing happened

2. Second time another technician came, and he said he fixed the connectors outside my place, which were rusted, he said. But he did not come inside to check or did not check the speed at all - Nothing changed

Yea, no I did not change any channels as I dont see the use of doing it and I dont think any positive outcome will be there.

My only option is to shift the connection to some other provider as I've already tried solving this through the tech support and even exchanged the modem. Nothing seems to change.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 17