cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can modem and router have the same name and password?

VeraK
I'm a participant level 2

I'm a new subscriber to Fido home internet.  My computer and my TV are at opposite ends of my home and I bought a router to help the wi-fi in all rooms as it's always been an issue here.  I connected the modem and the router and thought I'd be smart and give them both the same name and password so that I don't have to reconfigure all my wireless devices.  Now I don't know if the router is working.  I only see one network where I used to see a 2.4 and a 5 ghz.  I have a feeling I messed up and I don't know how to fix it.  Since doing it, I heard I'm supposed to set my modem in bridge mode which I didn't do either.  I can't find any info online about whether naming the router and modem the same is a poor idea, or not.  I can find bits of information in different places but not one good tutorial that takes me step by step.  Can anyone help?

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello VeraK,

Welcome to the community!

What do you mean by naming the router and modem the same name? Are you referring to the Wifi names (SSID)?

When adding internet at home, you're essentially creating a mini-network. Every device on that network needs to have a unique address. Generally, that address is usually referred to as an IP address. The main function of a router is to provide each connected device a unique IP address so it knows where to direct data. To do so, it uses dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP). Everytime a device connects, the router assigns it an IP address. Depending on other connected devices, the exact IP address might change from connection to connection. Most routers also allow users to set static IP address so a particular device can have the same address everytime it connects.

If the modem can also act as a router, then both devices would be capable of acting as DHCP server. Generally, having two devices assign IP addresses not a very good idea since it's possible each server could assign the same IP address to different devices. Depending on the functions of the modem and router, the main options are to: i) have modem in bridge mode (router acts as DHCP); or ii) have router in repeater mode (modem acts as DHCP).

With the first option, the modem can only attach to the router and will not be able provide any Wifi because IP addresses are assigned by the router. With the second option, both the modem and router can provide Wifi. The router would essentially provide an extension for the modem. For best service, the router should be directly connected to the modem via ethernet.

When a network has a router in repeater mode, you can use the same SSID name as the modem. Though, I do find it easier to troubleshoot down the line if RPT is added to differentiate signals between the modem and router. That said, you definitely can use the same password.

In addition, if you choose to place the router in repeater mode, you might consider setting the modem and router Wifi to different frequencies. That would reduce any chance of signal interference

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

VeraK

Hi, and thank you for your detailed response.  When I wrote about giving the modem and router the same name as it turns out, I was referring to SSID.  (I looked it up.)  Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable about these things.  I'm aware of bridge mode and don't know if that should be my choice.

If I phoned Fido's tech support would they help me with this?  I assumed not because I am adding a router but if I'm wrong that would be great.

I'm somewhat lost when I read about frequences, DHCP, IP addresses.  On a very basic level I get it, but I don't know enough to truly understand what you're saying. 

I purchased the router because I'm tired of not getting sufficient connectivity in different rooms, and hoped the router would help with that.  With that being my reasoning am I better having my modem in bridge mode?

My coax cable goes into the modem as do ethernet cables for the two computers in the room.  All that's plugged into the router is the ethernet cable from the modem.  I have a computer in the room that is connected directly to the modem.

Assuming I put my modem in bridge mode, then when I'm connecting my phone, tv, etc. to wi-fi would they connect to the SSID for the router?  And the items with a direct connection are the only ones connected to the modem's SSID?

I realize for many people this is too basic to even answer.  LOL  But there are a lot of people like me who are older, didn't grow up with computers and just don't know. 

Thank you for any light you can shed!!  

FidoAnthonyZ

Hello @VeraK,

Welcome to the community!

Did you go through the settings of your new router to see if you could separate the 5GHZ from the 2.4? Often times routers will come from the factory with only one network to alternates between the 2 frequencies. 

Let us know. 

VeraK

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply.  No, I didn't do that.  I read in the material that came with the router that it makes the decision about whether 5 or 2.4 is best.  I assumed (hoped!) it would know best. Smiley

Thank you!