Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Hey @Jan76! Welcome to the community. Smiley

I've moved your post here, as it's related to what you've posted. The answer to your questions is that this is most certainly not from us. Smiley

Check-out the thread for all known tricks and variants used by these spammers!

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Good morning all!

a new spam  text about Netflix...

this morning

Screenshot_20200120-075130.png

a new spam  text about Netflix...

KJB23
I'm a participant level 1

just a heads up, received a SPAM text from 902 646 0148, "IMPORTANT NOTICE" ... reported to FIDO as  SPAM

brock_report
1-902-980-0136 sent me this text : (roger-778386) "Dear client, your laste payment has been decline. Please update your information" rogersupdate.twilightparadox.com As they misspelled "laste" and forgot the "d" on "decline" and the link is NOT a rogers or fido site, looks like phishing for rogers / fido passwords and other client info.

Khalidansari

Just want to alert fido community of a recent fraud message I got over sms (from a 10 digit number). The message claims that fido charged 158 dollars more than they should and are giving it back. Asking further to share their bank details. Thought to put it out here for everyone.

Hey @Khalidansari

I moved your message here as it is about the same topic!

Thanks for notifying everyone Smiley

Janney

Hi Fido, 

I received this text message and I was wondering if it was a scam. 

A0CF01EE-E27D-4ED1-AE4C-C09AF2807FFF.jpeg

Hello Janney,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello @Janney,

That is definitely a scam text. You can forward messages like this to 7726 (SPAM).

In the event your account is ever over charged or you over paid Fido will credit your account.

Saloua

40×××××××× Receiving an eTransfer from FIDO see:
http://emoneytransfref1.online

Hello Saloua,

Thanks for the information! Have you had a chance to forward those messages to 7726 (SPAM)?

Cheers

Chapsie

I got an odd message saying that there was a problem with the last bill and there was a credit for $30+ the funds in the account. I knew that couldn't have been right since I just got the service and the bill looked fine.

I reported the number to the spam code. It had a 10 digit number so I knew it wasn't from Fido.

FidoRuth
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Chapsie,

Welcome to the community !

The message you received is definitely SPAM. If you have a chance, please forward it to 7726 (SPAM)

ondrejves
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I got this message when I was in US saying that Fido overcharged me, well I'm clear about my fees towards Fido, so I'm not responding to it.

FYI here is the message:

Dear F°I°D°O client, we are sending you back 75.5Cad due to a current misapplied fee on your account. Click here: https://fido75online.com/

Hey @ondrejves

We moved your post here since it's about the same subject!

Thanks for the info and don't hesitate to refer to the solution to this thread to report it Smiley

NanaDenise

Just received an IMPORTANT notice from FIDOSOLUTIONS INC.  Please read carefully: https://rb.gy/co89ab

When you read the text it says our account was over paid on March, 2019.  Then immediately it switches to a web page asking for banking information.  The phone number the message came from was 1 250 618 4417.  There was no name on the text message.

And no....we didn't reply or give our banking information.

Hey @NanaDenise

We moved your post to this thread as it fits right in!

You got it right, we would never send this kind of message. 

Take a look at the solution in this thread to find out what to do with the message! You can also click here to find out more about these messages!

AlexandraBarnes

Hi,

I received a text message earlier from 1-306-261-6018 claiming to be Fido.

The message says:

“Due to an error on your last bill, we issued you a credit of 30$ + your funds:

https://wireless-fido.app.link/message”

When I click on the link it brings me to a page with the server “fi-do-claim.co  and it says “deposit your money” being $133.53 “from Fido” with the Fido slogan of the little yellow house and everything and below it says “select your financial institution” with a list of different bank institutions. 

I am wondering if this is a scam??? 

Hey @AlexandraBarnes

We moved your post to this thread as it fits right in!

That's definitely not from us, we would never send you this kind of SMS. 

Take a look at the solution in this thread to find out what to do with the message! You can also click here to find out more about these messages!

onewitch
How do I stop receiving spam advertising. originally I got none

Hello @onewitch

We moved your post to this thread since it answers how to report spam message to improve the spam filter. You can also block the numbers in the settings of your phone. Smiley