cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up users on mobile hotspot

Rizak
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I want to pick up a mobile hotspot and need to know if there is a way to set up multiple logon ID and password combinations and if there is a way to limit the number of logons per ID to 1.

I want to be able to control each connection individually.

***Edited to add label***

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rizak,

Welcome to the community!

First of all, how many logon IDs did you intend on using? Most routers and hotspots, themselves, are not really designed for that purpose. The only way to accomplish what you're intending -- at least that I can think of -- would require some sort of server attached to the hotspot device (ie Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) server or a captive portal). Accessing the server/portal grants access to the internet.

In theory, you could create multiple SSIDs and limit access to each SSID to a specific device, however, the maximum number of SSIDs allowed on the ZTE MF970 is limited to 2 at a time. In addition, I'm not sure if the hotspot device is capable of blocking other devices from accessing a SSID.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Rizak welcome to the community!

The portable hotspot taps into 3G and/or 4G cellular networks, just like a smartphone does, and then wirelessly shares its data connection with other nearby (within 30 feet or so) Wi-Fi-enabled gadgets.

The ZTE MF970 Mobile Hotspot that Fido sells supports up to 15 WiFi enabled devices simultaneously and according to the manual you can set up two SSID.

You can get the manual here.