Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pixel 2 phone - google vs fido

cak
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi, 

whats the difference between buying the google pixel 2 phone directly from google vs gettnig it from fido. In both cases i am going to pay the full price of the phone. Is there any difference in the features of the phone, or warranty coverage?

Also how does the OS updates work in both cases? If i buy it from fido, do i have to depend on fido releasing the updates? 

Thanks,

Cak

3 REPLIES 3

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

In this case I would get it from Google directly unless Fido is offering major subsidy incentives.  However, your needs might differ.

The OS update will come directly from Google. If you get your phone from Fido, your update might arrive a lttle bit later as Fido will check the OS update to make sure it works with the Fido network before it is pused to the end user.  

If you get it from Fido, your phone's IMEI will be on the Fido's database so Fido can add your phone IMEI in the stolen phone database in case if your phone is list or stolen.  Furthermore, Fido might enable Wifi calling (More on WIFI calling) if your phone is purchase directly from them. I am not sure if Wifi calling can be implemented on phones that are not purchased directly from Fido.

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @cak @EFTC 

Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL manufacturer warranty was extended to two years. Wether you buy it from Fido or Google store.  

Updates comes directly from Google not withstand the provider the phones comes unlock.

You do have additional benefits with Fido SIM card to track your phone.

Personality I chose to update via Fido provider that way it's not too rough on the pocket and you get leverage for device and plan benefits.

Cheers!

Hey @cak!

Both @Scooby-Doo and @EFTC are correct! Smiley

Keep in mind that Wi-Fi calling will only work from phones purchased through Fido.