ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 dguard
I'm a Participant Level 3

ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

I have a Fido "home phone" using the ZTE WF721.  When I call a phone service requiring a PIN or extension number to be entered, the first digit of the PIN or extension number is always repeated.  For example:

(999) 555-1212 requires PIN 62345 followed by pound.  

So, I type in the phone number:

1-999-555-1212

Wait for the prompt to enter my PIN and I type in:

62345#

System responds with something like:

"The PIN you entered, six-six-two-three-four-five, is not valid.  Please try again."  (Always the first digit repeated)

It does not matter what phone device is attached and placing the call and it does not matter what service I'm trying to call so it seems like it is an issue with the ZTE.  And, it always the first digit of the PIN or extension no matter what that digit is.  Of course, this doesn't make much sense to me since it is the phone device that is issuing the DTMF signals.  The behaviour is as if the ZTE is inserting that extra leading digit.

Simple dialing of a phone number works fine.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

As an aside, the erratic behaviour of the message indicator light is also a continuing concern.

***Edited to add Labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

Hi everyone,

The update for the WF721 is now available. This update will improve touch tone performance and address a bug with the message waiting indicator.

Click here for more info.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 BMAN57
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Okay. I actually got it to work somewhat by pretending I have a rotary phone. It seems the home phone, even though it is touch tone, wants to act as if it is a rotary phone. It has no problem with "press 1 for English" for example, but anything more than 1 digit, I put a " * " before entering the number and it works. But it will not work if you have to enter the pound (#) after the numbers. For example, I have to enter in the last 4 digits of an account. I enter in say *1234#. The voice comes back and confirms 123 as the number and is missing the "4". My guess is that it is not accepting the pound key as a "digit".  If anyone wants to try, let me know the results.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 tfarooqi

This does not work for me. The Fido Rep tried this with me, the issue is that most automated  forwarding systems  dont allow * to be dialed, for some it makes the system repeat  the  options  for tone dialing. The odd thing in  all this is  Rogers  wireless  home  phone (same  device) does not have this issue or the voicemail one, there are no complaints as far as i can find. The wireless towers are the same and so is the device  so how come the Fido service is having problems?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 84
Highlighted

Did not realize Rogers had no problems. I remember searching AT&T and could not find any problems. I sometimes think why I did not check out forums before I bought this, but considering it is the 21st century, I did not expect touch tone not to work properly. The voice mail I really don't care about as I have my answering machine getting the calls. (but the voice mail indicator should work). I see on the forums that there should be a fix coming through in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 33 of 84
Highlighted

So from searching through Rogers community forums I found that they also have the issue, people have been posting up there since September about the issue. So I guess this is a bigger issue then first thought. Hopefully this will be fixed next week as stated by ZTE. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 34 of 84
Highlighted

I spoke with ZTE today and well they have delayed the update again. I got the following in response to an update:

"

Yes, We discussed it with Fido yesterday. It’s maybe more complicated than we supposed. So maybe we need more time.

Thanks.

"

Fido care to comment on this? I think most of your customers have had enough of this, I may have only had the service for a few weeks but how can you allow this to continue? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 35 of 84
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

A small percentage of our Wireless Home Phone customers are having issues with touch tones that may cause difficulty navigating interactive phone menus or dialling calling cards and extensions. We are working with the manufacturer on a fix for those affected. We'll let you know when a solution is available!

Thanks Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 36 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 Stoneton34
I'm a Participant Level 1

I called for Home phone Fido couple time concerned about problems PINs or phone extensions not working and every time Fido home phone said will  fix next 2 weeks, but now over 5 months but problems same   

Fido can not charge me full amount every month when I couldn't use full of service Fido home phone. 

Please credit my account for the cost of the service. 

Thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 37 of 84
Highlighted

Stoneton34 -Did not know it has been that long. Hey Fido what's happening with this? 

Thanks

Brian

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 38 of 84
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

@Stoneton34 Welcome to the Community!

I'll send you a PM shortly so we can discuss this further. 

@BMAN57 We are working with the manufacturer on a fix. We'll update this thread when a solution is available. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 39 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 dguard

Hi FidoStephen,

Thank you for looking into this and replying.  I use this phone system mostly for work; dialing conference calls that require PINs to be entered is literally impossible.  This forces me to consume some of my more limited and costly minutes on my mobile cellphone plan.

Has a resolution to this issue been identified? 

You indicated that a "A small percentage of our Wireless Home Phone customers are having issues with touch tones that may cause difficulty navigating interactive phone menus or dialling calling cards and extensions."  Does that statement apply specifically to my device (ZTE WF721)?  Does this mean that there is a larger percentage of people who are not having this issue?  If so, what device are they using?  How can I switch to this device? 

How can I escalate this issue to a meaningful resolution?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 40 of 84