cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

dguard
I'm a participant level 3

I have a Fido "home phone" using the ZTE WF721.  When I call a phone service requiring a PIN or extension number to be entered, the first digit of the PIN or extension number is always repeated.  For example:

(999) 555-1212 requires PIN 62345 followed by pound.  

So, I type in the phone number:

1-999-555-1212

Wait for the prompt to enter my PIN and I type in:

62345#

System responds with something like:

"The PIN you entered, six-six-two-three-four-five, is not valid.  Please try again."  (Always the first digit repeated)

It does not matter what phone device is attached and placing the call and it does not matter what service I'm trying to call so it seems like it is an issue with the ZTE.  And, it always the first digit of the PIN or extension no matter what that digit is.  Of course, this doesn't make much sense to me since it is the phone device that is issuing the DTMF signals.  The behaviour is as if the ZTE is inserting that extra leading digit.

Simple dialing of a phone number works fine.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

As an aside, the erratic behaviour of the message indicator light is also a continuing concern.

***Edited to add Labels***

83 REPLIES 83

Doogie87
I'm a contributor level 2

After reading this post I am really even more pissed off. I am not going to be paying my bill for any of my FIDO services until this is fixed. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced

Hey Doogie87,

Thanks for reaching out!

Once this is fixed, we'll update you. It's taking more time than expected, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Don't hesitate if we can help out with anything else in the meantime! 

Doogie87

Hi

Yes you can help me, please credit my account for the cost of the service since I first purchased it. Given the issues most people are having with this unit it appears to me FIDO is not providing the service they are charging for. I await your reply via PM.

Thank you.

I'm sending you a PM @Doogie87.

Phatnine
I'm a participant level 2

I have the same problem with the ZTE "landline". Also, the light indicator for voicemail is pretty erratic. I really need to be able to call extension number. I'm hoping to get some sort of refund until this problem is resolved.

gnippiks

I'm getting a similar problem here. Some touch tone menu systems just don't work with Fido Home Phone. They work fine with my cell phone or a Telus landline. 

e.g. I can navigate the menu system on CIBC's credit card services number 1-800-465-4653, but at TD's credit card services number 1-800-983-8472, if I press any key, I get "You have entered an invalid selection". 

Another system that doesn't work is Scandinave Spa Whistler at 604-935-2424. Press any key and get 

"One moment please...you have entered an invalid extension".

I get the same problem with either my cordless Panasonic handset (KX-TGA101CS) or an older corded landline phone connected to the ZTE box.

AllanCB

Because I've not been able to find CRTC's info regarding what the minimum requirements for service is, I've gone above that and sent a complain to the CCTS - Commissioner For Complaints For Telecommunication Services via http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/service-providers

Hey AllanCB and welcome to the Community Smiley

Sorry to read about the trouble you're having with your ZTE device.

I'm sending you a PM to get this looked into.

Doogie87

Not good enough.

Hiawatha

Same issue with dialing extensions or punching in any numbers after original ph number, like for telephone banking - can't punch in acct numbers once connected. It just keeps saying there's an error. It's for my elderly dad. He has basic V tech cordless phones but I even tried buying him a new set - one fully corded phone with a cordless handset as well. Same issue on corded phone as with cordless.

Also has issues just dialing out initially, certain numbers will be dialed and even though you have dialed the area code it will cut you off and say - error please use a valid area code - or something like that. For now I get my dad to punch number in handset before he turns it on and presses talk so the phone quickly dials the number as soon as you turn it on and that has worked. But a lot of issues with dialing numbers and extensions or subsequent punching in of numbers.

And as well the voicemail light is always flashing on modem.

earlyfido

exact same issue with my two lines using ZTE WF721.

customer service told me this issue sould by fixed by mid february 2016.

let see waht will happen. If the problem persist, I will consider to disconnect and fond another solution  because it is critical to be able to navigate thru automated phone menus.

yriyadh
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

"let see waht will happen. If the problem persist, I will consider to disconnect and fond another solution  because it is critical to be able to navigate thru automated phone menus."

Couldn't agree with you more. the whole purpose of having a home phone is defeated. I moved my perfectly working service from a competetion just because i thought fido would be a better company. Now it's going to be 3 months in Feb 17th for me and the home phone does not work. No deadline of when it will start working.Really bad descision on my part. cell phone has limited mintues so for tele-banking and all other calls to any kind of extension numbers takes so much mobile minute, I end up going over my monthly usage limit. I am gone watch this until the end of february and than I am leaving fido. I do agree when people said the entire home phone charges should be credited monthly until it is fixed and on top I believe cell phone minutes should unlimited as well so people can do their daily calls. Most of all, there should be some people fired in the upper management who is looking after this issue. It is really sad that a telephone company in CANADA takes months to fix this.  Even the 9.99/month home phone service that those b grade companies provide works better faster than this. Really stuck with this non-sense. 

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone, and thanks for your patience with this.

I can confirm that a fix is in the works, and should be available in the coming weeks.

@dguard This only affects the WF721 device, and not everyone is affected.

We'll let everyone know as soon as the update is ready, along with instructions on how proceed with it.

dguard

Hi FidoStephen,

Thanks for the update.

Since a limited number of people are affected and Fido is needing to perform a data-plan upgrade to apply the fix, why not start rolling out replacement units to affected customers instead or in parallel? Too costly? Not really. Goodwill appears somewhere on your balance sheets, too. Or, is the income statement more important to Fido?

AllanCB

I spoke with "Tara" from office of the president (x. **42 for Fido to know I'm telling the truth) and she told me over 2 weeks ago, that the update would be "at the end of the week" (this was around Feb 1 or so) and well, we're now 2 weeks later.

For those with this problem I've come up with an inelegant solution... if you require a pin, make it 11234 instead of 1234, and when you press 1, just do it once, and teh system SHOULD read "11234" - it's not the best work around, but it works.

dguard

I think it is just wonderful whenever the issued PIN for a conference call starts with a repeated digit.  And, I just love it when people call me for work related discussions and ask me to call them back at an extension with a repeated first digit.  After all, those are the only extensions/PINs I can dial and (alas), those are few and far between.  Anyway, it seems I have little control over most of the PINs and extensions I get to use.  Do I dare tell people to not expect a call from me because they were issued an extension that doesn't begin with a doubled first digit?

I have switched from using this ZTE WF721 product to using Skype.  It is cheaper and (at least) I can dial an extension or a conference call PIN.  Too bad I had to mention a competitor's product offering on this Fido blog.  Fido started off by earning my business; now, they are actively trying to lose it.

I expect to be contacted by Fido with a resolution.  I wasted money on the hardware and I'm wasting money on the service.  And, instead of service, we get promises.  One broken promise... okay.  Maybe even two...  But, what is happening is Fido is failing because of repeated broken promises.

So, will someone at Fido PM me to propose a resolution?  The only other choice is to insist upon a refund for the hardware and cancellation of this home phone service.  This will be done by Friday of this week if I haven't been PM'd.

Hey, Fido....  Google has made all the comments on this blog publicly searchable.  Are negative comments acceptable?  Marketing is very expensive; and, more so when it has to compete with negative reviews.

Hey @dguard and thank you for using the Community Smiley

As mentionned aboe by @FidoStephen, our support team is aware of the issue and are working to get this resolved ASAP.

And your feedback about the forum is appreciated. We're always working to make it better, and your comments are taken seriously.

I'm sending you a PM now so we can take a look at your options.

Talk to you soon.

dguard

My thanks go out to FidoKenny and FidoRachel.  They responded to me and I do feel better about Fido support and service.

Although the technical issue with the ZTE WF721 is not yet resolved, I'm hopeful that a resolution will eventually present itself.   I will report back once a real technical solution is achieved.

I'm happy we could help @dguard Your comments are really appreciated Smiley

If you have questions are need assistance with anything, you know how to find us !!

Doogie87

I find it interesting when you go to the manufacturers website they don't even acknowledge that product exists.

TylerL
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am having the same problem. I have tried using two different phones and niether will work. Really need to get this fixed as I do a lot of calls for business that require the use of pins or extensions.