ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 dguard
I'm a Participant Level 3

ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

I have a Fido "home phone" using the ZTE WF721.  When I call a phone service requiring a PIN or extension number to be entered, the first digit of the PIN or extension number is always repeated.  For example:

(999) 555-1212 requires PIN 62345 followed by pound.  

So, I type in the phone number:

1-999-555-1212

Wait for the prompt to enter my PIN and I type in:

62345#

System responds with something like:

"The PIN you entered, six-six-two-three-four-five, is not valid.  Please try again."  (Always the first digit repeated)

It does not matter what phone device is attached and placing the call and it does not matter what service I'm trying to call so it seems like it is an issue with the ZTE.  And, it always the first digit of the PIN or extension no matter what that digit is.  Of course, this doesn't make much sense to me since it is the phone device that is issuing the DTMF signals.  The behaviour is as if the ZTE is inserting that extra leading digit.

Simple dialing of a phone number works fine.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

As an aside, the erratic behaviour of the message indicator light is also a continuing concern.

***Edited to add Labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

Hi everyone,

The update for the WF721 is now available. This update will improve touch tone performance and address a bug with the message waiting indicator.

Click here for more info.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 Phatnine
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have the same problem with the ZTE "landline". Also, the light indicator for voicemail is pretty erratic. I really need to be able to call extension number. I'm hoping to get some sort of refund until this problem is resolved.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 gnippiks
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'm getting a similar problem here. Some touch tone menu systems just don't work with Fido Home Phone. They work fine with my cell phone or a Telus landline. 

e.g. I can navigate the menu system on CIBC's credit card services number 1-800-465-4653, but at TD's credit card services number 1-800-983-8472, if I press any key, I get "You have entered an invalid selection". 

Another system that doesn't work is Scandinave Spa Whistler at 604-935-2424. Press any key and get 

"One moment please...you have entered an invalid extension".

I get the same problem with either my cordless Panasonic handset (KX-TGA101CS) or an older corded landline phone connected to the ZTE box.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 AllanCB

Because I've not been able to find CRTC's info regarding what the minimum requirements for service is, I've gone above that and sent a complain to the CCTS - Commissioner For Complaints For Telecommunication Services via http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/service-providers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 BMAN57
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I am so, so embarassed coming from a home phone that worked all the time, switched to Fido Home Phone, and just ripped apart a retail store for their phone line being so screwed up, and now discovering it's the Fido phone that's screwed up. So embarassed and all because of Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 Pba81
I'm a Participant Level 1

Got this device/service 3 weeks ago. On my second device already. I too cannot use systems that require touch tone selection, forcing me to use mobile phone at home and waste my minutes. Voicemail is also not displayed in handsets and no intermittent dial tone to notify of voicemail. Never had any issues with previous provider.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 tfarooqi

How long is it going to be from this point? As stated the fix should be ready and just awaiting release? As a customer paying for the service and not getting the promised features it is very frustrating. As a client of Fido I should not be paying for a service when parts of it are not functional. Especially one that is vital to a home phone, what am I suppose to do use my Fido cellular minutes?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 tfarooqi

I got a response from ZTE Canada today and it read as follows:

Hi,

We are working on these issues with Fido. It should be solved in 2 weeks.

Thanks for youir patience.

I asked about the issue in this forum and the voicemail one as well. According to ZTE to solution will be pushed in 2 weeks, it would be nice if someone at Fido could confirm this? Its been a long time for this issue and it would be nice to get it all working.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 84
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey @tfarooqi

We'll let you know as soon as we can Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 84
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 RMP
I'm a Participant Level 1

The small number of customers with this problem, is growing, including the problem because of a lack of clarity in regard to home alarm systems incompatability.  Surely, these are important issues, requiring a more robust approach by Fido.  These days no one can have a successful business if operating in a Silo.  There are major Alarm Systems manufacturers, that Fido should communicate with and seek a solution to what is not a light matter.  Home security is very much a necessity and just saying that the Fido product is not compatible, offers little confidence to your customers.  The Fido marketing folks need to remember that they really work for the customer, who, if not listened to, can and often does exercise his or her options.    Not good for Fido if the customer stops being one!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 84
Highlighted

Hey @RMP We're always working on improving our services to fit our customers' needs. If there are any changes to this feature, we'll be sure to post it on fido.ca to let everyone know. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 84