cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

dguard
I'm a participant level 3

I have a Fido "home phone" using the ZTE WF721.  When I call a phone service requiring a PIN or extension number to be entered, the first digit of the PIN or extension number is always repeated.  For example:

(999) 555-1212 requires PIN 62345 followed by pound.  

So, I type in the phone number:

1-999-555-1212

Wait for the prompt to enter my PIN and I type in:

62345#

System responds with something like:

"The PIN you entered, six-six-two-three-four-five, is not valid.  Please try again."  (Always the first digit repeated)

It does not matter what phone device is attached and placing the call and it does not matter what service I'm trying to call so it seems like it is an issue with the ZTE.  And, it always the first digit of the PIN or extension no matter what that digit is.  Of course, this doesn't make much sense to me since it is the phone device that is issuing the DTMF signals.  The behaviour is as if the ZTE is inserting that extra leading digit.

Simple dialing of a phone number works fine.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

As an aside, the erratic behaviour of the message indicator light is also a continuing concern.

***Edited to add Labels***

83 REPLIES 83

Doogie87
I'm a contributor level 2

I am paying $20 a month and have been since last Sept. Also paid $40 for a unit that doesn't work. I was into see the dealer I bought it from and they are still selling the same unit and supposedly know nothing about the problem. Way to go Fido just keep sucking people in on this piece of **bleep**. I bet shaw and telus are having a field day with this.

BMAN57
I'm a contributor level 1

Just want people to know, that I would never curse on this site, the "bleep" was for saying the word "what beavers build". I would   never ever say the common "s" word, the common"f" word on forums etc. I apologize if I had upset anyone.

Hey @BMAN57, did we exchange your device by any chance? We've updated the firmware of the devices *regarding the beeping sound

The extensions/IVR systems is still something we're looking into.

*added clarifications

Doogie87

LOOKING INTO? Are you kidding? It has been more than 8 months and Fido continue to tell people it is fixed or going to be fixed in a week. Why are you still selling this thing? This is shamefull if nothing else.

@Doogie87 We totally get how can this be frustrating. We will update everyone once we have more info. Smiley

Doogie87

NO. Don't you get it? This is the same story we have been getting for months. It is time to rebate people and take the units back. I want a FULL refund for this service since I got it. I will then more on to another vendor. Until I get a refund I plan to continue to make my opinions know and take up as much of Fidos time both here and on the phone.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone,

The update for the WF721 is now available. This update will improve touch tone performance and address a bug with the message waiting indicator.

Click here for more info.

BMAN57

Rachel, The device was exchanged in January due to the flashing light indicator being on when NO messages were on the machine and no flashing light when there WERE messages. But the exchange did the same thing. Which is okay as I use the answering machine instead of the voice mail. I have never had anyone on the other end complain about a "beeping" sound. Just the touch tone problem is the major one.

akwok
I'm a participant level 2

Please advise if the touch tone issue is now resolved.

I tried 2 fido home phone boxes in Sep 2015 - both boxes had the same issue. I had to return both boxes. I will get the home phone again when the touch tone issue is fixed.

Hey @akwok and welcome to the Community Smiley

Our support team is still working on this. We will update you on this thread as soon as we get news on this.

Your patience is much appreciated Smiley

akwok

Thank you!

@akwok Anytime Smiley

maniez106
I'm a participant level 1

I switched our home phone from Bell to Fido months ago. Always have this same problem. Everytime we do phone banking with TD, CIBC or Tangerine where they would ask pin code or access number, it NEVER works on the home phone. I dialed but the operators kept saying I haven't punch it in. But if I use cell phone, it works. We never had this problem when we were with Bell so it is still the same hand held. We use Panasonnic Wireless.

Another prob with the home phone, it has it's own voice mail service. We also have answering machine connects to the hand held. When people leave a msg it will go to Fido voice mail which we think a bit taking time since we have to dial access code and so on and so on. So we would like to know how to deactivate voice mail on Fido but can get the message through our answering machine since it is easy, blinking light and press play and we hear the message without holding the hand held (I have a baby so rarely have free hand to hold the phone).

thanks for the reply

*Edited title

BMAN57

Still not working. Duplicating the first number when you have to enter more than 1 digit. Past 90 days since this was originally posted. 

dguard

Hi FidoStephen,

Thank you for looking into this and replying.  I use this phone system mostly for work; dialing conference calls that require PINs to be entered is literally impossible.  This forces me to consume some of my more limited and costly minutes on my mobile cellphone plan.

Has a resolution to this issue been identified? 

You indicated that a "A small percentage of our Wireless Home Phone customers are having issues with touch tones that may cause difficulty navigating interactive phone menus or dialling calling cards and extensions."  Does that statement apply specifically to my device (ZTE WF721)?  Does this mean that there is a larger percentage of people who are not having this issue?  If so, what device are they using?  How can I switch to this device? 

How can I escalate this issue to a meaningful resolution?

Stoneton34

I called for Home phone Fido couple time concerned about problems PINs or phone extensions not working and every time Fido home phone said will  fix next 2 weeks, but now over 5 months but problems same   

Fido can not charge me full amount every month when I couldn't use full of service Fido home phone. 

Please credit my account for the cost of the service. 

Thanks

BMAN57

Stoneton34 -Did not know it has been that long. Hey Fido what's happening with this? 

Thanks

Brian

@Stoneton34 Welcome to the Community!

I'll send you a PM shortly so we can discuss this further. 

@BMAN57 We are working with the manufacturer on a fix. We'll update this thread when a solution is available. 

RMP

The small number of customers with this problem, is growing, including the problem because of a lack of clarity in regard to home alarm systems incompatability.  Surely, these are important issues, requiring a more robust approach by Fido.  These days no one can have a successful business if operating in a Silo.  There are major Alarm Systems manufacturers, that Fido should communicate with and seek a solution to what is not a light matter.  Home security is very much a necessity and just saying that the Fido product is not compatible, offers little confidence to your customers.  The Fido marketing folks need to remember that they really work for the customer, who, if not listened to, can and often does exercise his or her options.    Not good for Fido if the customer stops being one!

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @RMP We're always working on improving our services to fit our customers' needs. If there are any changes to this feature, we'll be sure to post it on fido.ca to let everyone know. Smiley 

BMAN57

Okay. I actually got it to work somewhat by pretending I have a rotary phone. It seems the home phone, even though it is touch tone, wants to act as if it is a rotary phone. It has no problem with "press 1 for English" for example, but anything more than 1 digit, I put a " * " before entering the number and it works. But it will not work if you have to enter the pound (#) after the numbers. For example, I have to enter in the last 4 digits of an account. I enter in say *1234#. The voice comes back and confirms 123 as the number and is missing the "4". My guess is that it is not accepting the pound key as a "digit".  If anyone wants to try, let me know the results.