cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You broke our contract, so how do you deal with this?

Other
I'm a contributor level 2

Sold me an incomplete dud (You broke our contract) and I won't be paying anymore till you help. 

You can even use this letter as a official notice to the fact Fido/LG broke a contract with me.

Complaint, your product is (continisouly) defective..

(I really do not care about credit scores so any responce along that line will not bother me at all.)

Contacting you guys in a coorperate setting would be an asset, these tiny kiosks are just privetly frachised jokes..

When I got phone I as told I could play music. Like, Great..

Read the useless tiny generic manual and loaded it and enjoyed music, Great.

Month later after an unwanted unknown update I am now unable to see phone on OS tree. 

Now my PC is asking me for a disk? 

4 months I have been trying to figure this thing out while still paying just to get more and more pissed off.

Even though I should not have to I have tried just some of the hundreds of online complaint rememdies over this issue also to no avail. This should not be a problem on my end, it is your phones issue. 

This is a software issue not a hardware issue so no need to send phone in.

How about you guys ship that computer rquested disk that has all these drivers and programs on it. 

You know a magic, one I put in and after some computer noises i see files transfering. 

Exspecting us to go online and HUNT and LOAD drivers is a major online piss off..

I have alrady done my part and erned the monies I am paying you for so how about you guys live up to yours...

***Edited to add Labels***

40 REPLIES 40

Other

Can we please use grown up words??? What the hell is a PM?

Other

Might sense I am getting really annoyed now...

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

A pm is a private message @Other , sorry about that. Will be using the grown up

words from now on Smiley

Other

I thought I had replied to all the messages, can you please ask the question again?

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We'll send you another private message @Other Smiley

Other

How come you could not just ask the questions?

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We're having a private conversation @Other, this is not information that is relevant to this thread so let's keep it separate. 

Other

Please go read # 22,

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I assure you that we want to do everything in our power to help you @Other. However this particular issue you're experiencing is the kind of thing we would usually refer you to the manufacturer for. We just want to make sure you get the most complete answer possible and they're the ones who provide the OS updates. The PM serves as a way for us to gather more information from you so we can see if there are any alternative solutions we can work out for you here. We want to make sure our customers stay happy! Smiley

You can find the Private Messages we've sent you by clicking at the top right where you see your username, you'll notice a new section appear with an icon that looks like a little envelope. This is your inbox where you can check out your messages.

Other

hmmm, Samsung and Lg are two differant companies and both platforms use Marshmallow. (along with others)

It is an Android / Marshmellow and since Android and Google are partners in globalism, lil guy gets lost.

If it was a manufacter thing then why was the phone sent out where I could do what I did with no Marshmallow.

Did my phone come with "lollipop" then upgraded to this unwanted marshmallow later? 

I can't tell on this side of the screen if it was lollipop or not, can you tell me if it was?

I did not ask for this marshmallow nor do I want it now how can I dump this gooey mess and get back the ay it was?

All I do know no is that it can be done because I was able to do it, I just do not speak or read tech and I am reaching out for help.

@Other wrote:

hmmm, Samsung and Lg are two differant companies and both platforms use Marshmallow. (along with others)

It is an Android / Marshmellow and since Android and Google are partners in globalism, lil guy gets lost.

If it was a manufacter thing then why was the phone sent out where I could do what I did with no Marshmallow.

Did my phone come with "lollipop" then upgraded to this unwanted marshmallow later? 

I can't tell on this side of the screen if it was lollipop or not, can you tell me if it was?

I did not ask for this marshmallow nor do I want it now how can I dump this gooey mess and get back the ay it was?

All I do know no is that it can be done because I was able to do it, I just do not speak or read tech and I am reaching out for help.

Hello again,

The Android OS and Apple iOS are the main operating systems for cellular phones and tablets. As such, if the phone manufacturer is not Apple, then they will likely be using the android operating system. So yes, many phones use the android platform. The first thing you should note is that KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat, etc are all subsequent versions of the android platform. KitKat (version 4); Lollipop (version 5); Marshmallow (version 6); Nougat (version 7). There are earlier versions as well, however, they're not relevant to this discussion. Each version builds on the previous versions -- adding or changing functions, security measures, etc

Phone manufacturers will usually make a phone with the most current operating system at that time. However, the actual hardware of the phone will probably outlast that version of the operating system. Customers generally prefer to have the most up-to-date operating systems on their phones. That said, most customers are not able to buy new phones every couple of months. That's why the manufacturers provide updates to later OS versions. 

With regards to your phone, the LG G3 D852 was originally shipped with KitKat 4.4. Marshmallow offers you additional functionality and security. Unfortunately XP does not seem to support Marshmallow. As another community member noted, Windows stopped providing support for XP.

I mentioned in a previous post that there was a way to get your phone back to the way it was when you bought it. I also mentioned that I did not think it was something you could do yourself. Changing the phone's operating system is involved and requires the use of a computer. You, yourself note that you do not speak or read tech. 

Are there any phone repair shops in your vicinity you could take your phone? Most of them should be able to flash the original firmware. Fido or LG might be able to send it away for 'repairs'. 

I understand you're reaching out for help and I am sorry if I seem reluctant to provide the actual details of how to revert the operating system back to what it was. 

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Other

The LG G3 was originally sold with the Operating System: Android 4.4.2 (Android KitKat)

As much as we would like to give you a hand with this, reverting to an older software version is not something that we support. So we couldn't provide you a step by step on how to go about this, as we don't have that information. 

Other

When I got this phone I had "Android 4.4.2 (Android KitKat)" and I could do what I wanted to do.

It was Fido that allowed a third party to break in and change how my phone operates without my permission? 

Fido has the contract with Lg and my contract is with Fido..

reverting to an older software version is not something that we support, Please clarify "support"

The phone use to work just fine,

So now back to Lg with a how to dump Marshmallow and reinstall "Android 4.4.2 (Android KitKat)"

@Other wrote:

reverting to an older software version is not something that we support, Please clarify "support"

The phone use to work just fine,

Hello again,

Reverting a phone to an older version of the software is not as simple as un-installing the update. The software is hard-coded in the phone's read-only memory (firmware). Changing the phone's software involves flashing a different firmware to the phone. The process isn't officially supported because if not done properly, it can permanently damage the phone, rendering it useless. Rather than working just fine, it might not work at all.

@Other wrote:

It was Fido that allowed a third party to break in and change how my phone operates without my permission? 

By third party are you referring to Google? Android is the operating system developed by Google. It's their software (albeit with tweaks from LG and/or Fido). It's a similar situation to purchasing a HP computer running Windows from Best Buy. One cannot hold Best Buy (or HP) responsible for Windows updating its software. 

Your contract with Fido is for phone services (calls, text, and/or data). Fido may also have provided you with the phone, however, they are not culpable for how the phone is configured. By default, the phones are set to automatically update the software. It would have been up to the customer to disable the automatic updates. Without disabling the updates, your permission to update the software would have been inherent.

I'll reiterate: If you do revert your phone back to an earlier version of android, you would need to disable the automatic updates or else you'll just end up back where you don't want to be. 

Hope this clarifies Smiley

Cheers

Other

Hello again, the local Fido "kyosk" manager does not know how to do what you are describing..

So can you please send a step by step list on this proceedure?

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

There is a big risk one has to undertake to flash a phone firmware forwards (e.g., from version 4.4 to version 6).  There is an even bigger risk to revert back to old revision. 

When you flash it forards (i.e. upgrade from Version 4.4 to 6), it is done completely inside the phone. The phone download the software, upgrades it, and then reboots. All done afterwards.

When you revert back to told version, you need to first locate the proper firmware, downloal the firmware upgrade software, charge the phone, hook up the cable, make sure the firmware upgrade software will work on your computer (most don't support XP anymore), manually enter command line, make sure the firmware upgrade software can talk to your phone, enter the command line by line to revert the software back to original (Note: with Android there are 4 - 5 parts of the software that you need to revert back to old revision in order for your phone to work properly.  I will not explain the above steps in any more detail than this. If any of the above steps do not make sense to you, I strongly suggest you not to attempt to try.  It is simply not worth the risk and lots of things can go wrong.  I have done it before and there are times I almost bricked a tablet or bricked a cell phone because something was not done correctly.

@Other wrote:

So can you please send a step by step list on this proceedure?

Hello again,

I'm sorry, but since the procedure is not supported by Fido, it would be inappropriate to post the steps here. More importantly, there is a real risk that the phone could be rendered inoperable if not done properly. It shouldn't be attempted by the inexperienced. Again, are there any phone repair shops in your vicinity? A Fido kiosk is not a repair shop -- they would need to send in for 'repairs'.

If you are insistent on trying to revert your phone on your own, you would need to familiarise yourself with flashing firmware. There are many other venues which provide the steps. You can search for the method and required programs and firmware yourself. They're not difficult to find. If you are unable to find them, perhaps it's not the best idea to try to do yourself...

Sorry for not providing the step by step, but hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

Other

?????????????????????

Please stop beating around the bush and ask the question.

I do not care if people can see our conversation? 

Who knows it might help em.

Can you at least give me some idea where to find this privete message/questioner since I am still waiting for the one you said you were going to send...

Hey @Other

Thanks for filling us in! 

I get that you've checked out their webpage. 

Did you also speak (over the phone, or by chat) with the Technical Support of the phone manufacturer itself, to know if they can help with this? (LG) 

Other

Hello again.

Yes, checked out their webpage(s) and several other confusing pages to no avail.

Yes over the phone and by chat with 5 or 6 Technical Support workers of the phone manufacturer repersentatives in America and Canada. 

Their only remedy thus far was for me to uprade my home PC OS from Windows XP to Windows 7 or greater and even then they were not to sure. I tried to explain that if I already saw it on my Windows XP the Windows 7 is not the cure for me. Unless you guys buy it for me, but then you might have to buy me a new computer to support a Windows 7 platform also. 

I am too old school for all this techie stuff and there are borg children in this comunity. 

I already know the answer but do you guys have any nerd with wheels? I am retired so my schedule is wide open and with my bad legs I do not go far.. And hey I have this cell phone I hardly use a cell phone.