cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend the Nokia C6?

Car48
I'm a contributor level 2

I'm upgrading my phone and would like to know how others like their Nokia C6. I've heard about some issues with the software and internet functions. But my key needs are that the following features work well:

- good quality camera

- good quality video recorder

- good quality display

- touch screen that responds well

- no requirement for data plan (I rarely will be using the internet)

- good quality voice reception

- reliability

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

ren596
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

@Car48 wrote:

I'm upgrading my phone and would like to know how others like their Nokia C6. I've heard about some issues with the software and internet functions. But my key needs are that the following features work well:

- good quality camera

- good quality video recorder

- good quality display

- touch screen that responds well

- no requirement for data plan (I rarely will be using the internet)

- good quality voice reception

- reliability

You Should Look Up My Post History I have Topic on the C6-00

While this phone is marketed as a Smartphone in other parts of the world FIDO does NOT Classify it as such, so if you have the Unlimited Mobile Browsing as part of Options/Add-ons  YOU are ALL set in this reguard.

More Later

richt2k
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Here are my observations after having the phone for almost 2 months.

For the price, it's a cool phone. It can do alot that other basic phones can't do. It can surf the web pretty well, it has lifetime OVI maps with voice guided navigation, it has an app store called the OVI store with quite a few free apps (getting them to work however is a diffferent story) it has a customizable home screen (you can add lots of shortcuts to contacts and apps), it has a really high quality camera 5mp with a surprisingly bright LED flash. The video it takes is not bad either. The touchscreen can be annoying as it is a "resistive touch screen" and doesn't always respond properly. I've found the reception to be average, but call quality is quite clear in my opinion. I'm not sure how reliable it will be in the long run, the slider feels kind of flimsy when compared to higher end phones, but I much prefer having a physical keyboard than a touch.

So far I've been having quite a few problems with it, it was fine the first few weeks, then it started to go downhill. The software sucks, and we've no idea if or when the update will be released on Fido, when I spoke with them, they didn't know anything about an update. For some reason, Nokia releases updates in Asia first, and then it seems about 6-7 months later North America gets it. Some carriers don't support the updates, so you're stuck with the original software, no idea as to whether this will be the case with Fido or not. The issues with this phone are that the screen becomes unresponsive to touch and "hangs", this can be anywhere from 2 - 30 seconds. The camera has this thing when you take a photo, it won't let you delete it for 15 seconds after, because it gives you an error message. In my opinion, it seems the software they put on this phone is far too capable for what the hardware can handle. Every phone has its issues, but this phone seems to have alot. The flipside being that you get a "smartphone" without having to have a data plan.

Would I reccomend this phone? In your situation, probably yes because it ticks all your boxes except for the responsive touch screen (no idea how reliable it is though). If you have the patience to handle this phone until we get a software update, then I would say go for it. If you think it's gonna drive you nuts, either wait for something better, or maybe consider the Nexus S with the $10 data add on (that is the phone I really wanted and I am regretting this Nokia alot now)

ren596
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

@richt2k wrote:

Here are my observations after having the phone for almost 2 months.

For the price, it's a cool phone. It can do alot that other basic phones can't do. It can surf the web pretty well, it has lifetime OVI maps with voice guided navigation, it has an app store called the OVI store with quite a few free apps (getting them to work however is a diffferent story) it has a customizable home screen (you can add lots of shortcuts to contacts and apps),

The touchscreen can be annoying as it is a "resistive touch screen" and doesn't always respond properly. I've found the reception to be average, but call quality is quite clear in my opinion. I'm not sure how reliable it will be in the long run, the slider feels kind of flimsy when compared to higher end phones, but I much prefer having a physical keyboard than a touch.

So far I've been having quite a few problems with it, it was fine the first few weeks, then it started to go downhill. The software sucks, and we've no idea if or when the update will be released on Fido, when I spoke with them, they didn't know anything about an update. For some reason, Nokia releases updates in Asia first, and then it seems about 6-7 months later North America gets it. Some carriers don't support the updates, so you're stuck with the original software, no idea as to whether this will be the case with Fido or not. The issues with this phone are that the screen becomes unresponsive to touch and "hangs", this can be anywhere from 2 - 30 seconds. The camera has this thing when you take a photo, it won't let you delete it for 15 seconds after, because it gives you an error message. In my opinion, it seems the software they put on this phone is far too capable for what the hardware can handle. Every phone has its issues, but this phone seems to have alot. The flipside being that you get a "smartphone" without having to have a data plan.

Sounds Like You Got a lemmon The Touchscreen HAS Never HUNG that long for me

ChazAlvarez
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Ive had this phone for 3 months and a half.  While i did do my research n found that this phone's operating system ancient and inefficient.  After using the phone for a considerable amount of time i have found numerous flaws;  the camera is extreemly grainy in low lighting, the touch screen is very unresponsive, the keyboard positioning is quite odd thus causing difficulty if you are using the keyboard for the first time,  the menus are in efficient, the phone will disconnect you frequently during calls even if you have full signal, you have to jump through numerous hoops to connect to the internet through wifi,  every aspect of the phone is laggy (ie. after you press pause there is a 0.5 second dely before the song pauses, it takes approximately 3 seconds for the phone to unlock itself), the widgets on the "desktop" of the phone require you to use wireless internet to refresh the apps, a big one is that there is NO THREADED MESSAGING and there is no file browser on the phone itself.  In conclusion i would NOT recommend this phone or any other phone that runs on a symbian operating system.

ren596
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

I have found the touchscreen to be annoying at times

I have Never had any droped calls with this phone

The Loudspaker is NOT Wanting

More Later

montrealskier
I'm a contributor level 1

I like that the real keyboard has navigator keys that let you move the cursor around on the screen and select the targeted item once you are positioned. I am learning how to cut and paste text back and forth between the notepad and the text windows in the browser. If I stick the C6 on my car's dashboard against the windshield, it will pick up the satelite signal in 1 to 5 minutes. Wi-Fi picks up quickly when close to a hot spot.

nokia_c6_po

I've paid for the phone (i dont have a contract) and I can t not even upgrade the software and the phone is locked to fido!!!!

There is a case for "a recours collectif" here.

People want free support for the product there are buying : as simple as that!

Car48

@richt2k wrote:

The touchscreen can be annoying as it is a "resistive touch screen" and doesn't always respond properly.

The issues with this phone are that the screen becomes unresponsive to touch and "hangs", this can be anywhere from 2 - 30 seconds.

Does the C6 give the option of using the keyboard buttons to navigate menus and access functions available on the touch screen? It's kind of a work around sure, but I can see how an unresponsive touch screen could be annoying. Or would this even make a difference with the hang time?

charalique
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

i got the c6 about a month ago and i agree with richt2k about the camera having a delay time on deleting a photo that was just taken....it can get annoying.

i have long nails and normally find using a touchscreen difficult, but because this is resistive touch i can use my nails to tap away no problem.  only time will tell if the touchscreen will become unresponsive in the future.  you can definitely use the keybd d pad to scroll through the homepage and select options (as well as in the main menu), but you will have to use the exit button on the touchscreen to get out of a function.

i do, however, have problems while connecting to wifi.  on a few occassions my phone became frozen while trying to connect or when i start browsing.  i am unsure if this is due to the fact that i am only using a 4gb micro sd....i'm getting a 16gb this weekend to be on the safe side.  as well, i had an n95 before this phone and the reception was much clearer than the c6.  i can hear the person on the other line, but the sound quality is definitely noticeable.

i was just looking for a new phone in general and while my requirements are very minimal when it comes to a smartphone i am pretty pleased with the c6.