Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the "Lite" phone work on Fido

BHal55
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello, 

I would like to use a Lite Phone (https://www.thelightphone.com/) on Fido. The Lite Phone uses: 4G LTE Bands: B2, B4, B12, B13, B17, B25, B26

Will it work?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello BHal55,

Welcome to the community!

It`s interesting to see a phone getting back to basics. Unfortunately, I`m not sure whether it will function properly as a phone on Fido, though. According to the stated North American specifications, B2, B4, B12, B13, B17, B25, B26, that phone does have some compatible LTE bands or frequencies (see here ). However, it does not appear to have any `3G` or UMTS (WCDMA) bands or frequencies.

I understand voice-over-LTE (voLTE) is mentioned as a part of its specifications. However, it`s possible that functionality might not be supported on a device not available from Fido. There is no guarantee that certain functions will work on non-Fido devices. This notion is supported by numerous posts regarding trying to get the service to work on non-Canadian versions of devices Fido carries (ie non-Canadian Samsung versions) without success. If voLTE is not supported on that device, it would need to fall-back to the `3G` networks for calls. Unfortunately, that would not be possible with that phone.

While there is the possibility that voLTE might work with that device on the networks, the only way to ascertain whether it does or not would be to actually test it on the networks. According to their compatibility checker, neither Fido nor Rogers are listed as compatible.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Good morning @BHal55 , welcome to the community. That light phone looks really interesting. I found this information on bands and frequencies for Fido. 

Name Interface
850 GSM
1900 (PCS) GSM

UMTS

Name Interface
B2 (1900 PCS) UMTS
B5 (850) UMTS

LTE

Name Interface
B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1) LTE
B7 (2600) LTE
B17 (700 bc) LTE

As Fido and Rogers use the same frequencies, if it works with Rogers it should with Fido. Hope that helps 

Hello Original_Lucy,

Where did you find those band/frequency specifications? If it was on Fido.ca, you might make note of the page to @FidoSolutions as they may need to revise it. The compatible bands and frequencies have since been updated (see here). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers