cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my phone work on the Fido 4G network?

hollowman121
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

My phone will be 

4g brands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 39, 40, 41

speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A, 5G

I check on the internet that the FIDO 4g band is on B4, 7, and 17, am I right?

Now, I don't have B17 on this phone. will it cause a lot of signal problems for me? 

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hollowman121,

Welcome to the community!

You should note that Fido/Rogers have updated their compatible band/frequency list. They no longer use band 17. You can view the updated bands/frequencies here.

@hollowman121 wrote:

4g brands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 39, 40, 41

According to those specifications, that phone would have some of the compatible bands/frequencies. So the phone should work on the LTE networks.

Is the phone available from Fido? If it is not, you should note that certain functions (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) won't likely work. If that is the case, you would need to verify the phone also has compatible '3G' (UMTS or WCDMA) bands/frequencies so calls can fall-back to that network. If the device does not have compatible '3G' bands/frequencies, you would not be able to use it for calls or text messaging.

Whether or not a device without particular band/frequency will have signal issues would depend on your particular circumstances. While the phone should work on the LTE networks, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies used at your surrounding cellular towers. You can view your area towers here.

In addition, you should note that the different frequencies vary in their characteristics. For example, the lower frequencies, like 700MHz (band 12 and 17), would be better at penetrating obstructions and travel farther than higher frequencies, like 2600MHz (band 7)(see here). Depending on your location relative to the cellular towers and possible obstructions (ie buildings, trees, etc) between your location and the cellular towers the lack of band 12 could result in signal issues.

Furthermore, it should also be noted that different devices differ in their cellular receptive ability. One phone model may work at a location while a different phone might not work at that same location. The only way to determine how a particular device will function at any given location would be to actually test it at that location.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Good morning @hollowman121,  it looks like it  will work, but in areas covered with B17 band, I don't know. One way to find out, if you have a friend already with Fido, borrow their Sim card and check for yourself. Also, if you go to a Fido store or kiosk they may have a Sim to try in your phone. What type of device do you have? Perhaps someone else on the forum has the same device and could answer that with certainty. Just a thought