Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my phone work in Canada with Fido?

maxchang
I'm a participant level 1

as title

my phone it supports 2g gsm (all 4 freq), 3G wcdma 850+900+2100

i'm really confused with all these stuffs though, am i able to check emails with 3g with my phone?

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Tru
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone,
To be compatible with our network, a phone must uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz.
To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:
700 MHz on Band 17;
1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
2600 MHz on Band 7.

@maxchang : were you able to test your phone on our network?

Keep us posted!

Hello All,

Thanks Tru for posting that updated info!

To the OP, your phone with WCDMA 850MHz will work on the fido '3G' network. However, since your phone has only one of the compatible frequencies, coverage may be limited depending on the frequencies of the surrounding towers.

For clarification, WCDMA is the same as UMTS and is compatible with Fido/Rogers. Different terminology for the same '3G' technology. HSPA and HSPA+ are data protocols based on the WCDMA/UMTS network. To confuse matters slightly, Fido renamed their HSPA+ to 4G even though it's based on the '3G' network. Before anyone gets in a huff about the Fido renaming, please note that other mobile companies have also adpoted this 4G nomenclature.

I think Wufai might be confusing WCDMA with the 2G networks CDMA and/or TDMA, which are not compatible with Fido/Rogers' GSM network.

Cheers

uncleraymond
Hey, I am planning to buy unlocked Xperia XZ from Amazon. com. I want to get confirmation if i can use it with Fido in Canada

@uncleraymond wrote:
Hey, I am planning to buy unlocked Xperia XZ from Amazon. com. I want to get confirmation if i can use it with Fido in Canada

Hello Uncleraymond,

Welcome to the community!

Compatibility with the Fido/Rogers networks depends on the whether the phone has compatible bands/frequencies. Different versions of the same phone model (Xperia XZ) may have varying bands/frequencies for their different target markets. Since the Sony Mobile website does not list the bands/frequencies for that model, it seems likely there are multiple versions.

That said, judging by the specifications listed on GSMArena:

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
  HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 
  LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 19(800), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 32(1500), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) 

there is at least one version of that phone that has all of the compatible bands/frequencies. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here

You should verify which version of the phone is posted on Amazon. Occasionally, online storefronts post generic specifications and ship whichever version they have on hand. You might also consider verifying whether the version they have has compatible bands/frequencies.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @uncleraymond,

Welcome to our Community Smiley

I moved your post here since I think it might help with your question. Check it out and let me know if you still need any help Smiley

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

If I recall correctly, WCDMA is reserved for China. Fido's 3G uses the HSDPA format. If you phone is unlocked you will only get 2G bandwidth (128kps) with your current phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

umm, i have a WCDMA phone that fido gave me and it actually picks up signal, the ops post has the correct bands too, 850/1900 are canadian bands, china would not use this.   wcdma is the actual air interface, where as hspa is the data transport.

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Hmm, you might be right. But doesn't Fido only uses GSM?

Fido does use GSM and LTE and my Fido phone does work on the Koodo and Telus networks which are HSPA. hope that info is useful.