cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy a brand new unlocked phone.

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

With Fido's new plan structure, it is promoting users to use their Standard Plan with BYOD to get a 10% price reduction. I've giving some thought to it and decide the best value as a mobile consumer is to go m2m and BYOD to get the lowest monthly price.

And then it hit me.

Where do I buy a uncarrier brand new unlocked phone?

Many phone companies do not sell their phone through their website, instead opt for carriers to do the work of selling them through a contract, even if you decide to buy a phone outright, the phone is still either locked, (need to pay to unlock) or modded by the carrier. 

I know where to buy iphones/Nexus/sony at retail.

But what about Nokia/Samsung/Motorola/LG/HTC in canada? Where can I get these brands unlocked, with factory warrenty? I don't want to go through ebay/craiglist/grey market stores if I want a valid warrenty.

Any thoughts?

***Edited to add labels***

11 REPLIES 11

I have bought my last 4 BlackBerry devices outright and don't regret it at all. I bought 2 from other carriers and had them unlocked, and the other 2 from Amazon. Com all worked well. You can take advantage of special plan offers or switch without penalty. Saves money

msamman
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I usually buy from amazon (amazon US is even better if you have US address) and never had a problem with warranty

sheedy17
I'm experienced level 3
I'm experienced level 3

Usually like someone else states, Amazon is a good spot to get unlocked phones, I havent heard too many horror stories and I believe it is with a warrenty on most phones

I would stay away from kijiji/craiglist ETC.    

I agree on the most part that if a phone is purchased at full price , it should be unlocked. Now if you DO pay full price you can have it unlocked right away,  and I understand on the business side, that a phone company doesnt want to sell you a unlocked phone that is in demand and have you take it to another provider, when one of their customer could want the phone and use it on their network, yes the phone is still sold, and it was bought at full price, but companies arent here to sell you deals on phones , its to please their clients and give variety and have the latest modeals available.  I can understand why they make you pay $50 to unlock it.....   But I agree on the topic, if it is bought full price, it should be unlocked, Apple doesnt have a problem BUT I can see how some androids and others could cause problems for people getting their hands on them , unless they go to a provider.

ren596
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

sheedy17 wrote:  I can understand why they make you pay $50 to unlock it.....   But I agree on the topic, if it is bought full price, it should be unlocked,

OFF the top of my head the UK cost to unlock a phone Converts to LESS Than $50 CAN

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a great idea, though it has not caught on here yet in Canada, but I do see it slowly gaining marketplace and carriers such as Fido will have to change its strategy soon if this does take place. I do not know where to start, but I do know that the more and more us consumers demand for such devices that are factory servicable and not gray market, the retailers and distributors will have to follow suit more and more.

credmau5
I'm experienced level 3
I'm experienced level 3

Here in Vancouver there are dozens and dozens of phone retailers, plus the Apple store, the Sony store, and the Samsung store all selling unlocked devices too. It is smart to think of your wireless provider as just that: service provider. Buy your own phones, just like you would buy your TV and order cable service, and buy your laptop and then order internet service. No reason to mentally link the DEVICE with the service provider unless you don't wanna pay for your phone (which means you shouldn't complain about contracts and mandatory price plans then!).

Anonymous
Not applicable
true, but that wasnt the case 10 years ago, we were "forced" to buy phones from phone stores, now we can get them practicaly anywhere. who ever said progress was a slow process wasnt talking about me.

andyalex
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

In Edmonton, there's a store near Save On at Whyte Avenue (Calgary Trail and 76 Ave) called Omegacell.  You can also order it from Newegg.ca  Not sure about warranties though.  I used to buy my unlocked phones whenever I go to SouthEast Asia, specifically HK or Philippines.

That is a very good question Wufai. I hope this thread grows huge

I wish our CRTC would mandate that when phones purchased in full price they are not to be sold locked.  I bought my Samsung Gio in Europe and they have that specific rule.  A phone cannot be sold locked there.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@SpiltBwater wrote:

I wish our CRTC would mandate that when phones purchased in full price they are not to be sold locked.  I bought my Samsung Gio in Europe and they have that specific rule.  A phone cannot be sold locked there.

Completely agreed. There is no legitimate reason that I can think of that a phone that was purchased at full price should be locked. None. In fact, I don't even see how it is legal now, without an additional CRTC rule.