Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WI-FI Calling using a LG G4

Gian1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

I have no FIDO service in my basement apartment and very poor service near my home. It was suggested to me by a FIDO customer rep. that I could use Wi-Fi Calling in my apartment to enable FIDo service. He sent me the instructions on how to turn it on.

I cannot follow the instructions because my phone does not have the menu items for wi-fi calling. Can you please help me? I have been searching but have been unable to find a solution.

My phone is an LG G4 running Android 6.0. I purchased it in Oct. 2016 from a vendor in Mississauga, On other than FIDO.

Thank you.

Gian1

14 REPLIES 14

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Curious why you are still running Android 6.0? We're now up to Android 9.0 so your OS is 3 generations old. Perhaps that explains why you can't see the wifi calling option in the settings menu?

@Proac

I just noticed on your post that you mentioned that the device is On other than FIDO.

If you mean that it's not a Fido device, then it's the reason why it's not working on your end.

If you have a non-Fido Android device (you did not buy your device from Fido), Wi-Fi Calling will not work.

You can confirm that in the FAQs I sent you earlier.

Let me know Smiley

Gian1

Hi Kenny,

Thank you for your replies to my post.

Just to confirm, it is a non-FIDO phone that I purchased to replace a brand new FIDO phone that I lost in 2016 shortly after purchase. The phone has been working on all other features. Why woudn't it work with WI-FI calling? I know the FAQ says "It may not work".

Regarding why I am running Android 6.0 that is the latest version that seems to be available for the LG G4. When i try to update the OS from the phone, I get a message saying it is up-to-date.

Is there a way to update the OS on my phone?

Thanks! 

Gian1

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Gian1,

While most services should work when using a Non Fido device, we unfortunately cannot guarantee all services on them, like WiFi Calling, as they aren't optimized for our network nor configured to be compatible with the service.

As for your phone's OS, it seems that the most recent update released for the model is Marshmallow  6.0 and no new version is available.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Gian1

Hi @FidoClaudia,

Ok, so here's the situation. I moved to this area in Markham 3 weeks ago. There is no FIDO service in my apartment and it is very poor just outside as well on the street. WI-FI calling does not work with my phone because it is a Non-FIDO phone and it's OS version does not support it.

I don't have phone service for the last 3 weeks.

Do you have a solution for me?

Thanks!

Gian1

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey again @Gian1,

We'll need to have a closer look at your account and complete some troubleshooting steps together.

A PM is on it's way so we can get started. 

Gian1

Hi FidoSaad,

I sent you the requested information.

Gian1

@Gian1

We received your PM. Talk to you soon.

Gian1

Hi Kenny, Saad,

Any idea when you may have a solution for me?

I am waiting to hear from you. Thanks! Ghani.

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Gian1

They're not here right now, so I'll answer on their behalf Smiley 

We haven't received the completed form, we would need it to access your account and proceed to the necessary troubleshooting!

I'll send you a PM with a new link, talk to you soon.

Gian1

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. I have completed the form again.

This is the third time. Each time I get a message that your email has been sent to FIDO and someone will contact you. There is no indication that there is anything wrong with the completed form. Meanwhile it takes hours for someone to respond, just to say "we didn't get the form". Do you think you could improve the form so that it is easier to complete and edits for whatever it needs?

Thanks!

Gian1

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Got it, thanks @Gian1!

Sorry for that, thanks for the feedback Smiley

We'll continue over PM, talk to you soon!

Gian1

FidoKenny

Hey @Gian1

I was taking a quick look for you and you can find how to set up your WI-FI calling from our FAQ page here.

You will find a section saying  How do I enable Wi-Fi Calling on my LG device?

Let us know how it goes on your end Smiley