cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE on Unlocked Note 8

kubica
I'm a participant level 3

I've read so many threads on this topic my face has started to hurt. I don't think I would have switched to Fido if I had known this was the case ahead of time, but here we are.

I'm on a Samsung Note 8, Canadian model, that I initially purchased through Telus. VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling won't work for me. I'm almost always connected to LTE/LTE+, but calls automatically switch to 4G (despite the VoLTE slider being on). Wi-Fi calling won't activate. I've changed my CSC to FMC, and I've read that's all I can do on my end.

Can anyone here advise further? The LiveChat agent I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. I thought this was supposed to work on grey market devices after May 2019...?

9 REPLIES 9

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kubica,

Welcome to the community!

You are correct in that they have allowed those features on some grey-market devices. I believe you'll need to contact customer service and have them provision those services on your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

kubica

Thanks, I just got off the phone. The rep said the setting was there for my account and that it must be an issure with my phone (it's not, I promise - VoLTE is turned on and definitely worked when I was with Telus). Funny - he also said Wi-Fi calling will never work with non-Fido phones, but I know that's not the case based on the reading I've done here.

Should I be going through Rogers tech support for this? Any other ideas?

Hello again,

Are those features still not working for you? Apparently, it might take some time for them to come into effect (see here). If they still aren't working, you might consider contacting technical support to configure your account (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

kubica

Nope, still not provisioned. Someone called me from Tier 2 a few days ago - March 21 - saying it would be done soon. I know there are more pressing things going on in the world (!) so I wonder if the Provisioning Team is even working. Anyone here have access to that info?

Then I could at least stop checking the IMS status a few times a day Smiley

Hey @kubica!

Your compatible device must have been purchased from Fido. If you have a non-Fido device, Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE may work, but we can’t assure that the feature will work properly. 

I am not sure that the Provisioning team can do for you regarding the situation, as we do not support Wi-Fi calling on non-Fido phones, but we can take a look at your account for any updates. 

Let us know if you would like us to send you a PM from here!

kubica

Hi @FidoVanessa - Wi-Fi calling can and does work on non-Fido phones if the account is provisioned properly.

For example, see the solution on this thread, where a user manages to get the same phone as mine set up for both VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling: https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and-Devices/Allow-IMS-Services-VoLTE-and-Wi-Fi-Calling-on-Non-Fido-...

Thanks for your reply! I suppose I'll just have to give it more time Smiley

Hey @kubica!

For the Wi-Fi calling option, your IMEI cannot be added on our system if it's not a Fido device as it won't be available in our database. Also the solution provided by the user in the thread is not supported on our end, as we do not encourage flashing your device.

As for your VoLTE issue, the compatible devices are certified Rogers or Fido device or provisioned Grey Market devices (Samsung Galaxy S8 and above, iPhone 6 and above, LG G8 thinQ).

You can let us know once the provisioning team gives you an answer!

kubica

Hi @FidoVanessa - that used to be the standard advice, but that's not true. The IMEI can be added by Tier 2 Rogers, and mine was just today. I have VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling enabled! (Also, the only reason that other user flashed his device is because it was an American model. That's not the case with mine, and wasn't the part of the solution I was referring to when I pointed to that thread.)

For anyone else with this issue, yes you CAN have both VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling enabled on your non-Fido phone. They just have to manually add and provision your IMEI. Takes a while, but it works!

Thanks, all.

Hello again,

Glad to hear those features are now working for you.

@kubica wrote:...For anyone else with this issue, yes you CAN have both VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling enabled on your non-Fido phone...

Just to clarify, that would be only available on certain non-Fido grey market devices. There would be other devices not sold by Fido (ie OnePlus, Asus, Xiaomi, etc) which would still not be able to avail of those features.

Cheers