Visual Voicemail & nexus s

Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

Visual Voicemail & nexus s

While I was looking through the source of the new android OS (ICS), to check why it didn;t show nitification for VoiceMail (I didn;t know that fido don;t use Message Waiting Indicator), I saw some strange things in the logs. Which lead me to came an interesting thing ... Visual VoiceMail support :

in : packages/apps/Contacts/src/com/android/contacts there's what seems to suggest support for Visual voice mail.

The question is : is the same as the iphone's ?

I'd like to try it if possible, is there a way to call Custumer service and have that option and see if it works (I already have Enhenced Voice mail ... My understanding is that if it doesn;t woek it'll fallback to the regular Enhenced voicemail, is that true? )

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Visual Voicemail & nexus s

Adding it would be useless. If you were to add Fido's VVM it would be Apple's implementation and would not work on your Android. Google may well be adding their own VVM but it doesn't exist with most carriers yet, certainly not Fido. I don't think it will fall back to regular VM since CCF will be set to use the VVM number and not the regular VM number.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey kenshin33,

I wish to confirm that Visual Voicemail is not a service offered on Android devices at this time.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

i that, I know ... I was saying I'd like to try it to see if it'll work !

(As I said Ice Cream Sandwich seems to support Visual Voice Mail --Source Code indicates that--, don;t know about gingerbread). Say I call and activate it, worst case it wont work: does it  fall back to regular  voice mail ?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
Solution

Adding it would be useless. If you were to add Fido's VVM it would be Apple's implementation and would not work on your Android. Google may well be adding their own VVM but it doesn't exist with most carriers yet, certainly not Fido. I don't think it will fall back to regular VM since CCF will be set to use the VVM number and not the regular VM number.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 17
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

I see, it seemed to me that it fail back to regalr VM (didn't notice any diffrence) when I had an iphone.

Thanks 10yearfido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Do we have any date put forward by Fido for VVM?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 17
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

with the prolierfation of email, sms, IM, social media...i dont why people would want to use voicemail or even VVM...

lol

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 17
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Rogers has just started offering VVM for some BB and a couple Androids. Not sure why they are limiting it to select devices, since if one BB or Android can support it the other BB and Androids should be able to as well.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/01/11/rogers-rolling-out-visual-voicemail-plus-for-android-blackberry-in...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Well, will in Feb.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 17
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3
I'm a Participant Level 3

I heard feb 22 for new activations only. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 17