cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Voicemail & nexus s

kenshin33
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

While I was looking through the source of the new android OS (ICS), to check why it didn;t show nitification for VoiceMail (I didn;t know that fido don;t use Message Waiting Indicator), I saw some strange things in the logs. Which lead me to came an interesting thing ... Visual VoiceMail support :

in : packages/apps/Contacts/src/com/android/contacts there's what seems to suggest support for Visual voice mail.

The question is : is the same as the iphone's ?

I'd like to try it if possible, is there a way to call Custumer service and have that option and see if it works (I already have Enhenced Voice mail ... My understanding is that if it doesn;t woek it'll fallback to the regular Enhenced voicemail, is that true? )

***Edited to add labels***

16 REPLIES 16

GregToronto
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1
I have tried a few handets recently and can confirm that Visual Voicemail for Android works differently than the iPhone. With both, Motorola XT910 and Sony Xperia Pro, the App from the Play store does not work. You will keep getting error messages saying you are not subscribed. Fido can't make it work on any handset that does not have Visual Voicemail built in native to the phone, not an App add-on. Even though the manufacturer says it should work, it does not. Best thing to do it delete the App to avoid those anoying error messages. There is nothing actually wrong with the handset, or Fido service. The enhanced voicemail will transcribe the voicemail to text if possible and send it in an MMS along with an audio/amr file that plays the voicemail from your in-box on your handset. The actual audio file is kept on your handset to keep as long as you like or forward it to another number. I love that feature. The true name for this should be "Wireless voicemail" and not Visual voicemail, which only works on native devices such as iPhone. As always, patience is a virtue.

Receiving MMS is FREE by the way, for anyone that does not have unlimited MMS options. Do not worry about charges. They are free to receive Happy

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Hey kenshin33,

I wish to confirm that Visual Voicemail is not a service offered on Android devices at this time.

kenshin33
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

Meh who know that it would be available after such short time :).

I have a question though : I conatcted CS, to get VVM, but I was  told me  I can't. b/c my VM service is bundeled (in a -kind of special- value pack  and the only way to get it is to unbundle (which is not really to my advantage) is it true ?

Thanks

Hey kenshin33!

It is true that we will have to remove your current package in order for you to get the VVM or the VVM Plus. However, we could replace it with one of our currently offered value pack which would include that feature. You can see the value packs available to you directly on Fido.ca here:

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/options/valuepacks

Please note, however, that if your value pack includes features that are not included in our current value packs, should you really need it, it will have to get added to your services as a separate add-on.

I hope this answers your question! Smiley

simonbee
I'm a participant level 2

I added VVM onto my Nexus S about a month ago and it worked really well for 3 weeks - each time someone called and left me a VM I would receive an MMS with a transcription of the VM and an audio file which i could play to hear the message.

About a week ago it stopped working for no known reason. I called into FIDO  and the agent 'reset the service'. 

This caused a text message to be sent to me to download an app for "VVM plus"  I installed the app and noticed:

1. When on WiFi, I see the notification "VVM Synching". However no messages arrive on the phone.

2. With WiFi switched off, I see VVM Synching and then a short time later a notification that I have a new voicemail. Clicking on this notiifcation opens the app and shows me the text transcription of the VM and a player to hear the message. 

How do I make it work on WiFi and Cell?

How can I play the message in speaker mode - not just on the earpiece?

thanks,

Simon

Hello simonbee!

Please note that it is not possible for the application to sync when WiFi is on as the messages are pushed by the network. When on WiFi, the network data connection is blocked hence the lack of sync.

As for listening to the message on speaker mode, tap on the Speaker icon next to the Play button and you will be able to go between speaker mode and earpiece easily Smiley

I hope this helps!

ALain1234
Do we have any date put forward by Fido for VVM?

silentbuddha
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

with the prolierfation of email, sms, IM, social media...i dont why people would want to use voicemail or even VVM...

lol

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Rogers has just started offering VVM for some BB and a couple Androids. Not sure why they are limiting it to select devices, since if one BB or Android can support it the other BB and Androids should be able to as well.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/01/11/rogers-rolling-out-visual-voicemail-plus-for-android-blackberry-in...

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Well, will in Feb.

jjjewels
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I heard feb 22 for new activations only. 

simonbee
any update?

kenshin33
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

i that, I know ... I was saying I'd like to try it to see if it'll work !

(As I said Ice Cream Sandwich seems to support Visual Voice Mail --Source Code indicates that--, don;t know about gingerbread). Say I call and activate it, worst case it wont work: does it  fall back to regular  voice mail ?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Adding it would be useless. If you were to add Fido's VVM it would be Apple's implementation and would not work on your Android. Google may well be adding their own VVM but it doesn't exist with most carriers yet, certainly not Fido. I don't think it will fall back to regular VM since CCF will be set to use the VVM number and not the regular VM number.

kenshin33
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

I see, it seemed to me that it fail back to regalr VM (didn't notice any diffrence) when I had an iphone.

Thanks 10yearfido.