cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN that works with Fido data on Android?

Madman
I'm a participant level 3

Because Fido is on IPv6 I can't seem to find a VPN that works on their network. Has anyone had any success? I'd like to leave the VPN on 24/7, for both LTE and WiFi, and automatically switch between the two.

I'm on a Pixel XL.

9 REPLIES 9

rob_van
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

What do you need a routeable Public ip address for?  We are not hosting the vpn we are just a vpn client?

Is this because you can't pass the PPTP / L2TP vpn protocols though the regular proxy server?  I've had this enabled in the past for free with my fido service in the past why do we have to pay for it now? 

As this was working on my old phone and I did not have to pay for it?

Does this fall under Net Nuetrality?  Are you allowed to charge for something like this - i could understand a setup fee.. What is the cost for are we getting our own static ip?  - https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-657.htm

Hello Rob_van,

Welcome to the community!

While Fido offers the routable public IP address, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, whether you need one or not depends on the type of VPN you wish to use (see here). I use a VPN with my data services and do not have the routable public IP address.

With regards to the specifics of IPv6, many VPNs do not yet support IPv6. However, some VPNs have measures to prevent IPv6 leak.

Are you having issues with your VPN?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello @rob_van,

We've offered the routable IP add-on since 2013 and we've always charged it a $5 per month. 

If you have any questions about our internet service, you're welcome to contact our tech support. They can answer any technical questions you have for them. 

You can reach them at this number: 

1 (888) 481-3436

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Madman

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

To use a VPN, you would need a routable public IP address. That's something we offer as an add-on for $5/month with a one-time setup fee of $20.

If that's something you'd need to add to your account, you can simply contact us to set it up. 

Hope that helps! 

Madman

Thanks for the quick reply Pamela. I now have the routable IP feature on my mobile account. Is there anything in particular I need to do to make use of it, like a different APN or something?

Madman

Actually, I think I found the solution. I was connecting with OpenVPN over UDP which wasn't working very well. When I switched to TCP instead, everything seems to work fine.

Glad it's working @Madman Smiley 

The APN would indeed be different, it should be publicip.apn or vpn.com.

Don't hesitate if ever you have any other questions. 

Madman

Does the fact that it is functioning properly without use of the publicip.apn imply that the routable IP feature is not actually required as you first suggested?

Hey @Madman

Depending on the type of VPN you want to use, the routable IP address may or may not be necessary.  In most cases, this feature is used to connect to a corporate VPN network.

If this is not what you are connecting to, you should be good without the feature.  You can contact us using any of the method you'll find here to remove the option.  Alternatively, we can send you a PM and remove the option for you.

Let us know what you'd like to do! Smiley