Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked iPhone X LTE not working on Fido Network

Rmitch
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

I recently bought an unlocked iphone X from the apple store. I have a Fido 10GB/month plan and inserted the SIM card from my previous phone (iphone 6 plus unlocked) into the new phone.

I have ongoing problems connecting to the fido LTE network from the moment I set up the phone. The phone constantly drops off the fido LTE network leaving me with "no internet connection" when I try to use apps. When I turn off LTE the phone connects to 3G just fine. Phone calls have been fine. Connectivity to WiFi has been fine. I never had this problem on my previous phone. I called apple and they thought it was a network problem. They suggested that perhaps the bands on the fido network were not compatible with this model of the new iPhone X. This sounds ludacris to me, since Fido sells iPhone X models, so I assume there is full compatability of the phone on their network. I've tried calling fido but can't get through to tech support on the phone.

Anyways, this is really frustrating, I'm not sure what to do. Does anybody have any solutions about fixing this?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

TwitchyPuppy
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

@Rmitchwrote:

Hi,

I recently bought an unlocked iphone X from the apple store. I have a Fido 10GB/month plan and inserted the SIM card from my previous phone (iphone 6 plus unlocked) into the new phone.

I have ongoing problems connecting to the fido LTE network from the moment I set up the phone. The phone constantly drops off the fido LTE network leaving me with "no internet connection" when I try to use apps. When I turn off LTE the phone connects to 3G just fine. Phone calls have been fine. Connectivity to WiFi has been fine. I never had this problem on my previous phone. I called apple and they thought it was a network problem. They suggested that perhaps the bands on the fido network were not compatible with this model of the new iPhone X. This sounds ludacris to me, since Fido sells iPhone X models, so I assume there is full compatability of the phone on their network. I've tried calling fido but can't get through to tech support on the phone.

Anyways, this is really frustrating, I'm not sure what to do. Does anybody have any solutions about fixing this?

Thanks.

You can contact tech support via chat! Also, visit a Fido store to have your SIM card replaced. 

Was it figured out @Rmitch? Did Apple end up replacing the device?

Let us know! Very_Happy

Rmitch

Apple replaced the phone which solved the problem completely. Thanks!

Awesome! Smiley

Enjoy your new phone!

TwitchyPuppy
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

LTE works well on my iPhone X, which I got from the Apple Store too.

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Rmitch! 

The phone is compatible with our network. Smiley 

Have you tried to reset the network settings? 

Rmitch

Yes I have tried this a few times. I also tried factory re-setting the iPhone and “setting up as a new iPhone” without any of my apps. Same problem persists.

If you put your SIM card back into your iPhone 6 Plus, are you currently experiencing similar difficulties maintaining your connection to LTE?

Rmitch

No the LTE connection is fine when I put it in the old phone. 

Also - I tried putting a friend’s Virgin Mobile SIM into the new iPhone X and it connected to and maintained the LTE connection. 

Hello Rmitch,

Firstly, I'll assume you purchased your phone from a Canadian Apple store. That is, your phone model is the A1901. Yes, it would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

Are you having the issue of dropped LTE signal everywhere or only at some locations? It's possible that your location has a relatively weak Fido/Rogers LTE signal. I understand your old iPhone 6+ had no issues at your location. However, starting with the iPhone 7's, Apple has decided to use two different modems in their devices, depending on target markets -- one from Qualcomm; the other Intel (see here). Unfortunately, the Canadian version gets the inferior cellular modem, which means more dropped calls, worse reception, and lower data rates.

I also understand your phone has no issues staying connected to the VM LTE network. It's possible that Bell/Telus have a tower with LTE closer to your location providing a stronger signal to your phone. That's not to say that they have a better network. The mobile providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Some areas might be better covered by Bell/Telus; some areas are better covered by Rogers. It all depends on the particular circumstances of a given area. It's a common misconception that any mobile provider will work for everyone. For example, I was intending on switching my mother from Rogers prepaid to Telus prepaid. However, her phone (unlocked) did not receive any signal when I put in a Telus SIM at her location and she lives in a medium-sized city. I ended up switching her to an alternate provider using Rogers' network. You can get an idea of your local cellular towers here.

The different coverage areas is the basis for extended coverage. However in your case, since your phone can access the '3G' network, it's likely it won't be able to access Fido-EXT at that location.

I also understand that your phone has no problem connecting to '3G'. If what I suggest is true, it's likely your phone is able to connect to that network is because the lower frequencies used can travel farther and have greater penetrability than those used on the LTE network (with the exception of bands 12 & 17 or 700MHz; see graphic here).

Are there any places where your phone does not drop LTE signal?

If this scenario proves to be the reason, unfortunately there is not much that can done to solve the issue. One possibility would be to get a signal booster for your location.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Rmitch

Thank you very much for the help and the solutions. I did buy the phone from a Canadian Apple store. That model is not A1901 but MQAC2VC.

I went to the Fido store and bought a new SIM card. The same problem persists.

I didn't find much variation with respect to LTE dropping depending on location. I live and work in downtown Vancouver, and have travelled around the city quite extensively since I bought the phone. The issue seems to happen regardless of where in the city I am. The one time it went a stretch without dropping LTE was after I had reset the network settings, but this only lasted for about 10 minutes.

Tomorrow I'm going to go the Apple store and see if they can give me a new model. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@Rmitch

Let us know if they give you a new model and what happens. Smiley 

Hello again,

Thanks for the additional information!

Rmitch wrote:.. That model is not A1901 but MQAC2VC.....

Just to clarify, the MQAC2VC is the manufacturer part number signifying the colour and size of memory (see here). The model of the phone is A1901 (see here). While that page does not specifically note the Canadian part numbers, I think it is rather clear that MQAC2VC is a manufacturer part number and the Canadian model is A1901.

Hopefully a new phone will solve your problem Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@Rmitch Would you be able to test another Fido SIM card in your phone to see if the issue persists?