cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UMTS Network - Anyone in the know // Motorola Droid 2 Global

hedgesburn
I'm a contributor level 1

Hey everyone, so I've tried to search on the internet about this, but I'm only getting little bits of information, so I'm posting here to see if anyone is in the know.

I, like many, have been a fido customer for over a decade, but really really hate the current low end phone selection.  So I bought a Motorola Droid 2 Global and unlocked it..... first time using the phone, I noticed the signal strength was a lot lower than on my other GSM phones and thought, darn it, I got a bad phone.  Then I was playing with settings and it gave me the option of "GSM only (better battery life)", "UMTS only (better performance)", or "automatic". 

When I'm using the GSM only option, I get a full strength signal again!  When use the UMTS setting, I get a weaker signal, however, I get download speeds that are 2-3x or more faster than on the gsm network.

I did a bit of reading on the internet... here is what I've found so far.  GSM uses time division technology, much like the old TDMA systems of the old Rogers days.  UMTS is apparently a new standard that employs code division and is actually closer to CDMA technology.  UMTS also has a much faster data transfer rate.  I've not heard anything official from Rogers/Fido about a new UMTS network, but it would appear that it's here, although the signal strength isn't quite the best yet, it is there.

Just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this?  Is there an official launch coming, or is the UMTS stuff still in trial mode?

***Edited to add labels***

***Edited Title***

5 REPLIES 5

Timetripper
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

@hedgesburn wrote:

Hey everyone, so I've tried to search on the internet about this, but I'm only getting little bits of information, so I'm posting here to see if anyone is in the know.

I, like many, have been a fido customer for over a decade, but really really hate the current low end phone selection.  So I bought a Motorola Droid 2 Global and unlocked it..... first time using the phone, I noticed the signal strength was a lot lower than on my other GSM phones and thought, darn it, I got a bad phone.  Then I was playing with settings and it gave me the option of "GSM only (better battery life)", "UMTS only (better performance)", or "automatic". 

When I'm using the GSM only option, I get a full strength signal again!  When use the UMTS setting, I get a weaker signal, however, I get download speeds that are 2-3x or more faster than on the gsm network.

I did a bit of reading on the internet... here is what I've found so far.  GSM uses time division technology, much like the old TDMA systems of the old Rogers days.  UMTS is apparently a new standard that employs code division and is actually closer to CDMA technology.  UMTS also has a much faster data transfer rate.  I've not heard anything official from Rogers/Fido about a new UMTS network, but it would appear that it's here, although the signal strength isn't quite the best yet, it is there.

Just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this?  Is there an official launch coming, or is the UMTS stuff still in trial mode?

To answer your question on the D2G and UMTS reception it might suprise you (or not) that the problem comes from Verizon screwing with the radio system to make it look like their system (CDMA) always comes in best [like alot of "mother" knows best companies]. It is not a case of the radio in the D2G being weak, etc it just needs a tweak that you can find on the internet - either where it originated at forum.xda-developers.com (see: wrong signal indicator bars in UMTS mode) or also available over at droidforums.net in the D2G section (see: hacking/tweaking 3G settings and the radio driver)

Youll be pleased with the results

sblinnto
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

This is great feedback.  I'm having the same trouble in Toronto, terrible reception and Edge network, on an unlocked Nexus S.  Where in setting do I need to go to check this out?  TIA, Steven

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

UMTS is the type of frequency that is used for the Rogers 3G (HSPA) network. So, when you toggle off UMTS, you are really toggling off the 3G network and using the older fallback EDGE network. Rogers has been using UMTS for years now. The legacy network still have somewhat better coverage in many areas, so you will often get a stroner signal when using EDGE only, but as you say, it is a slowed network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm supprised you never heard anything about UMTS? but maybe thats becauese everyones been using the term 3G to market it and refer to it. But technically 3G just means third generation, the actual technology is indeed called UMTS and HSPA is the name given to the data connectivity, much like how we call EDGE or GPRS on a GSM network.

You might also be pleasantly surprised to discover that you could be in an area where you are close to a GSM tower, but far from a UMTS tower, or vice a versa. So yes the towers could also be placed in different locations hence why you experience different signal levels.

There is no upcoming launch, the launch happened YEARS ago, lots of people are aware of this technology and WANT to use it mainly because there is a need for faster data speeds, and doing voice/data calls simultaniously, as well as 3G video calling.

hedgesburn

Thanks, this makes a bit more sense now.  When I'm on the GSM only mode, I get either edge or GPRS data modes.  When on UMTS I get the HSPA data mode.  I like the faster speed of the HSPA, but the signal strength of the UMTS network is terrible.  I was hoping this was just because it was new, now I guess it's not gonna be improving anytime soon, that is too bad.