cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Iqaluit, Nunavut

angela101
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Does anyone know if fido will work on ice wireless up in Iqaluit ? Or does it need wi-fi to work still??

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Angela101, 

Ice Wireless is actually considered as part of our extended network and you should not be charged anything extra for using their services. Note that the coverage may be very limited in certain areas. 

Pauline1
I'm a participant level 3

18 months ago, when I travelled to Inuvik, NWT, covered by Ice Wireless, I paid a roaming fee and found good coverage there. I have just returned from Yellowknife, NWT, and had no signal. Before I flew to YK I had called Fido to check about cover and was told that I did not have to pay extra to get service this time. I had the same phone both times, Nokia 6061. Has anyone else had this experience?

Hello Pauline.

I just verified our map, and Inuvik is now part of our extended coverage.

The extended coverage allows our customers access to our roaming partners' network for talk, text and data services across Canada outside of the Fido network coverage area.

That service was launched  in the month of March this year.

You can find our coverage map here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Pauline1

Thank you Kenny. But I understood that Yellowknife was also part of the extended network now but I had no coverage there when I visited last week.

Hi Pauline, 

Make sure that roaming is toggled to ON on your phone. You would also need North American roaming to be active on your account. Are you normally able to roam with your phone? 

Pauline1

I have Canada wide minutes and am able to get signal when I travel. I don't have a smart phone and cannot find a Roaming button on my phone. I don't normally have to change anything on my phone to activate roaming.

That is odd, are you able to get our extended coverage everywhere else? 

Pauline1

Everywhere we have been recently. No problem at Edmonton airport on the way to YK, for example.

Hey Pauline1! 

Do you have a roaming block on your account? It would prevent you from being able to connect to a network when on the Extended Coverage.

I'll have to take a look inside to be sure.  I'll send you a PM to get started. Smiley