Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting via wifi not roaming.

mcLeoda
I'm a participant level 1

Hi all, 

I've searched yet I don't see an answer, hope someone can please help. 

I have an Iphone XR, I want to know if I can send and recieve text messages if in another country with my roaming off, yet using wifi only so I don't get roaming charges?  Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello McLeoda,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, to clarify, are you referring to text messages (ie SMS and/or MMS) or iMessages? If you're referring to the former, text messages don't generally get transmitted via Wifi (except with Wifi-calling). If your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some usage abroad is considered roaming and would incur additional charges.

Wifi-calling.jpg

~taken from link above.

**edit** You should note that if Wifi-calling is not enabled, receiving SMS would not incur any roaming charges. However, any data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data. You also should note that multimedia message services (MMS) are not limited to just photo or video messages. Some phones allow users to add Subject lines to their messages -- similar to the subject lines found in emails. Adding a Subject line automatically converts a SMS to MMS. Depending on the phone and its settings, a blank subject line may also still be considered a MMS. Additionally, some phones will also convert long-SMS (messages exceeding the 160 character limit) to MMS automatically. **

On the other hand, if you're referring to iMessages, sending them via Wifi only would not incur any roaming charges. To prevent any unintentional roaming charges, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight modes for the duration of your trip abroad. You could then manually enable Wifi when required.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello @mcLeoda , I was searching the apple support website and found THIS 

Basically it says you can send text over wifi if you turn on Wi-Fi calling using imessage. Read it over carefully as I am not well versed when it comes to Apple products. Hope that helps 

Meingatineau

If I use wifi-calling on a cruise to send a sms (using an android device)or call someone in canada would this incur roaming?

Hello Meingatineau,

Welcome to the community!

As shown in the screen capture posted above, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges. It would be important to note that someone in Canada may not necessarily be using a Canadian phone number. Outgoing Wifi-calling messages and calls to a non-Canadian phone number will incur the Fido Roam charge (even if that person is physically in Canada).

In order to prevent unintended roaming charges, it is generally recommended to enable Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your trip. You could manually enable Wifi when required.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers