Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card Activation Failure

Parham97
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I recently ordered a new phone from fido.ca, but I couldn't find any activation under my account when I insert my sim card. Any help would be appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Parham97,

Welcome to the community!

To clarify, were you previously already using Fido services with a different device and SIM card? If you have already been using Fido with a different device, you would need to update the SIM card information on your account. You can do so via My Account --> Profile & Settings --> Usage & Services --> Mobile --> Update SIM card (under Quick Actions, near bottom of page). You'll be required to provide your old SIM card number when your register your new SIM card.

If you no longer have access to your old SIM card information, you would need to contact customer service to update the SIM card.  Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. Depending on the situation, you may be required to activate the SIM card in person at a store for security purposes.

Alternatively, if your new device uses the same-sized SIM card as your previous device, you can simply use that SIM card in your new device. You should note that once you update your SIM card, your old SIM will not function anymore.

On the other hand, if you had not previously been using Fido services prior to this new phone, the SIM card should already be activated. You should be able to use your services upon inserting the SIM card in the device.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Parham97

Hi Cawtau,

I have been Fido user for years, but this time is higly unusal. I switched my previous fido sim card to the new phone and did not work. Also, I tried to activate the new sim on the phone, did not work either! 

I contacted customer support and they couldn't help out too. 

Hey there! Thank you for all the details. 😊

Did you receive the new sim with the phone upgrade?

Also, can you tell us a little bit about what the customer service said about the sim card? 

Parham97

Hello,

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I received a new sim with the phone and tried to activate it both myself and a customer service, and we all couldn't!

I reached out to many supports regarding this issue, and finally last support said they would sent me another SIM card yet I am not sure if that's the SIM card problem because my old phone still works fine with the old SIM.

Oh and one thing I found odd about the new phone is that when I turned it on, there was MyRogers installed not Fido app. Maybe that is causing the problem?

Should I return the phone? 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

@Parham97 wrote:...I tried to activate the new sim on the phone...

@Parham97 wrote:.. my old phone still works fine with the old SIM...

How did you try to activate the new SIM on the phone? As mentioned previously, since you already have been using Fido services, you should have updated the SIM card information on your account. Updating the SIM card on your account would have de-activated your old SIM. If your old SIM card still works in your old phone, your account has not been updated with the new SIM card information.

I understand you also tried to have customer service activate the SIM card. Is it possible they misunderstood your situation? They should also have tried to update your SIM card information rather than activate the card.

I also understand you tried your old SIM card in your new phone without success. Have you tried to replace the old SIM card in your new phone? If the SIM is old, it might not sit properly in the SIM-slot. Re-adjusting its position might help make the contacts connect better. A new SIM might also help.

If yourself and customer service somehow activated the SIM card rather than updating the SIM card on your account, that card will likely not work for your situation anymore. You would need to wait for the new SIM card to arrive and update the card information on your account.

I don't think the phone having the MyRogers app pre-installed would be an issue. Most devices would install the pre-loaded software based on the provider SIM card inserted. If you are concerned, you might consider performing a factory reset and turning on the device with your new updated Fido SIM installed. If that doesn't replace the MyRogers with Fido's My Account, you might consider switching devices if it's important to you. That said, it shouldn't cause issues reading the SIM cards. As of December 1, 2017, all devices sold in Canada from a provider are unlocked (see here).

If the device still isn't reading the SIM card properly, it's possible the issue is with the phone itself. You might consider having the phone replaced under warranty.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Parham97

Hi Cawtau,

Thanks for your super helpful tips!

I figured that it's the phone's problem, even when I updated my sim card to the new one still didn't work while works in my old phone!

Best,