cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung a70

Mike8606
I'm a contributor level 1

Why has the A70 not been updated to android 10 yet and why have we not had a security update since December? The lower end a50 has gotten the update already, so I find it hard to believe that the more expensive a70 hasn't.

25 REPLIES 25

Mike8606

It is quite obvious that Fido has dropped the ball on this update, but you haven't answered any of the questions I asked.

I want to know why I'm paying for a phone that hasn't had an update of any kind since December 2019 

When I purchased this phone I was told that this was a high midrange phone and I should purchase this one over the a50 (which has been updated, and receives monthly updates not quarterly) because it's a higher end better phone.

So as it turns out, I'm paying more for a phone Fido doesn't seem willing or able to update as promised.

I also want to know WHY every other carrier has been able to update this phone but Fido can't.

We're sorry you feel this way @Mike8606,

We can't speak for other carriers, though we're providing the same answer as it remains the same. The update will be released when it's ready to be released.

As a side note, what we guarantee are your Fido mobile services. The security update is provided by the manufacturer and will then go through a testing process to ensure that it's good go. You can find more info about that process here. You can also refer to the link provided by @Cawtau for a possible explanation on why the release is still on hold.

Thanks again for your patience!

Mike8606

As for the previous reply that the update may brick some models of the phone, Samsung has assured me that the issue was resolved quite awhile ago and that the carriers have received the correct update, as proved by the release of the update by every canadian carrier other than rogers/fido. So that is no excuse.

My issue is why has fido not kept up with the release schedule as every other manufacturer has and why is fido releasing updates for lower model phones before taking care of customers who have spent more on their phones?

When, as a customer, I spend more on a phone, it's to have better technology and a better phone than a cheaper lower model. So I find it hard to believe that fido as a carrier would simply ignore that fact and tell me, you'll get the update when we feel like releasing it.

If i wanted that, why would i have upgraded my phone???

To have the previous generation tech and no security updates since 2019? I think not!

Mike8606

so the Carrier blames Samsung and Samsung blames the carrier, meanwhile its us customers who bought the phone that get ripped off!
I bought a new phone to get the latest Android updates for at least 2 years, meanwhile this phone seems to have been lost in a vortex and hadn't had even a Samsung security update since 2019 even though Samsung promises at a minimum quarterly updates and still no Android 10. Remind me again why I wasted my money upgrading my phone...

Mike8606

So now the low end a20 has got the update, but nothing for the a70. If Rogers/Fido is not planning on supporting this model, they should recall them and offer all the people who paid good money for them a comparable replacement. 

I bought this phone with the understanding that we would be getting at a minimum, quarterly security updates for at least 3 years and 2 major OS updates.

Last security update was December 2019, 7 months ago, and still no update to Android 10.