cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUPPORT FOR APPLE WATCH

Rubberduck
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Okay how about a compromise to why fido is not supporting apple watch...don't tell us when or if you will support apple watch, just explain in simple language what the problem is. Example It's the network or it's marketing, rogers wont let you or you are not allowed by law or stone cold said no what ever anything anything at all, at least try. Anything but what you already said a least 100 times. Thanks and good luck.

Just curious gorge 

38 REPLIES 38

Hello again,

@brandoc wrote:

> @Cawtau: "a smartwatch with a data-only plan would be entirely separate from the phone's plan."

Correct, and that is precisely what I wanted--a data-only plan for my watch which was entirely separate from the phone's plan....

That is not how the Apple Watch was designed to be used.

@brandoc wrote:..

> @Cawtau: "Apple Watches need to be paired to an iPhone in order to use the device"

My watch was paired, over bluetooth during setup, and it also functioned perfectly fine independently of my phone, when on wifi: iMessage and FaceTime worked fine, even when my iphone was completely powered off....

Pairing a device via bluetooth is not the same as having it paired via cellular services.

@brandoc wrote:..The reason I couldn't scan the code was because apple has programmed the apple Watch app on iphones to first check if the carrier is on the "approved list" of apple watch carriers...

The approved list are the carriers with smartwatch plans.

In addition, had you referred to jailbreaking your Apple Watch in your earlier post? If so, that could be why it was deleted (if it was in fact deleted). Fido Community's Terms of Use does not allow the discussion of hacking and/or “rooting” a wireless phone from any carrier (see Terms of Use). I understand the Apple Watch is not a wireless phone, but your Apple Watch is hacked. It's possible your last post might also get deleted.

Even if you somehow are able to do what you're trying, your watch might not behave the way you intend for it to work.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

brandoc
I'm a contributor level 2

Pairing a device via bluetooth is not the same as having it paired via cellular services.

There's no such thing as "pairing via cellular." If you get a Rogers share everything plan for your iPhone and then bring your Apple watch, the eSIM that the watch receives is actually a different phone number, but the carrier disables calls to that number so you can't use it. Then, they turn on a type of call forwarding feature so that when your iPhone's number receives a call, your carrier will ring both your watch and phone simultaneously.

And that's all! The carrier doesn't do any other heavy lifting. Rogers/Bell/Telus do not send your text messages to your watch; apple does sms forwarding through iCloud and that's a really bad implementation because it means if your iPhone is powered down, your watch cannot send nor receive SMS text messages (the 'green' messages in Messages app).

This whole "number share" thing apple is forcing on us, with the support of the carriers who refuse to let their flanker brands get in on it, is seriously over hyped. And consumers are grossly misunderstanding the "benefits" they think they will get from having their carrier officially join the 'cellular watch club.'

Now that the apple watch has an appstore with dedicated watchapps that are not available for iOS, and the ability to buy them directly on the watch, plus new simplified features like Sign in with Apple, it's ridiculous that this cabal of carriers+big tech are continuing to limit the choices of customers in choosing what kind of cellular services we want on our devices. Because I promise you, I am not the only watch user who would jump at a chance of getting a data-only cellular plan on their watch!

Hello again,

@brandoc wrote:...There's no such thing as "pairing via cellular."..

It appears as though you're trying to accomplish something you don't even understand how it works. The cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone. When you go to set-up your Apple Watch the process automatically searches for your iPhone's data plan. Normally, I would provide references, however, you're trying to circumvent the procedure so I'm not going to provide details of how Apple goes about pairing the cellular services.

I understand what you're trying to accomplish might be what some users want. However, even the people in your Reddit thread on the topic don't seem to think it's possible.

Cheers

brandoc
  • @Cawtau It appears as though you're trying to accomplish something you don't even understand how it works.

I understand how eSIM works entirely, thank you.

• @CawtauThe cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone.

As I've said multiple times, I have a cellular plan on my iPhone.

• @CawtauNormally, I would provide references...

I have no earthly idea what you mean by this??

Hello again

@brandoc wrote:..I understand how eSIM works entirely, thank you....

Apparently, in this case, you do not...

@brandoc wrote:
  • @CawtauThe cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone.

As I've said multiple times, I have a cellular plan on my iPhone....

Your Apple Watch's cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone. **edit** It's set up as a smartwatch plan by your iPhone. That's why a standalone plan won't work. ** I know that's not what you want, but Apple designed the device to be a companion device to the iPhone.

Cheers

brandoc

@Cawtau  Apple designed the device to be a companion device to the iPhone.

And if it had its own data plan, it would be a companion to my iPhone: I would get forwarded push notifications on my watch from my phone, the same as I do now! just without needing to find a wifi hotspot to connect my watch to..

Further, you are aware that it's lawful for people to buy things and then use them in slightly different ways than the inventor had imagined, right?  Because apple also designed the iphone around the idea of making and receiving calls and yet Fido sells plans with data and 0 minutes.

Are you gonna tell us that if we choose a data-only plan for our phones that we simply don't understand what a phone is for? are you going to tell us we are "doing it wrong" and belittle us for not understanding the apple gods of cupertino who "never intended it to work that way!"  ??

Hello again,

I never said anything about people having data-only plans. I never said anything about how people should or should not be using their devices. I mentioned that Apple designed the device to be a companion device for the iPhone because the smartwatch plan needs to be set-up on the iPhone. No judgment. Even with Rogers' Share Everything plan you mentioned above, one can't just get any plan for their Apple Watch. The watch needs its smartwatch plan, set-up on accompanying iPhone.

Apple doesn't allow for the Apple watch to have a standalone plan. If you think you can outsmart Apple and somehow bypass their set-up process, that's up to you. However, this is not the venue to discuss such matters.

Fido does not currently offer smartwatch plans. If they do decide to offer them at a later date, it will be posted on Fido.ca.

Cheers

brandoc

wrote:

> Apple doesn't allow for the Apple watch to have a standalone plan.

We now have irrefutable proof that you were indeed wrong: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/freedom-mobile-launches-apple-watch-plan/

As you can see, 1 carrier in Canada is now offering a data-only watch plan without shareable data. Your iPhone plan is separate from your watch plan on Freedom!

I also know that there is a debate happening between the Rogers and Fido management over whether to allow these same kinds of plans on their network.

Hello again,

@brandoc wrote: ...Your iPhone plan is separate from your watch plan on Freedom!...

Thanks for the information. However, that is NOT a standalone plan. Yes, the 1GB of data is separate from the customers' regular plan, but it isn't fully independent from the iPhone as you initally intended. That plan is an Apple Watch plan.

...Apple Watch customers will be able to self-activate through their Watch app on iPhone... The Watch app will be able to pair and activate the Freedom Mobile promo Apple Watch 1GB plan... ~taken from article you posted.

As mentioned previously,

@Cawtau  wrote: ...The cellular plan needs to be set-up on your iPhone. When you go to set-up your Apple Watch the process automatically searches for your iPhone's data plan.

With the Freedom plan, the cellular plan still needs to be first set-up on your iPhone - cellular pairing. I suspect the set-up process will also still search for your iPhone's data plan. However, rather than sharing the data, the watch will only have access to the 1GB. You won't be able to just get that plan on its own.

**edit** It should also be noted that Freedom is now offering Apple Watch plans because they are also offering the Apple Watches.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

brandoc

I guess the problem @Cawtau is that you have consistently iterated that the watch "can't" connect to a different network than the iPhone because of some unknown technical reason. You have strongly insinuated this.

If you would admit that there are no technical reasons a watch couldn't connect to a different network, and instead admit that the only reason we all can't pick and choose which network(s) our apple devices connect to is because apple doesn't like that idea and is arbitrarily blocking us from doing it for no reason-- then I guess we would finally be in agreement!

Previously everyone said "the watch and phone have to have a share everything plan" but apple just last week decided that isn't necessary, because they just granted Freedom mobile the ability to join their network.

Now here's another question (for everyone): what happens if you use your iPhone to successfully get your watch connected to Freedom mobile, and then remove the freedom mobile SIM card from your phone and then pop your fido SIM back into your phone? the answer to this is especially important on iPhone X and older since these phones do not have dual SIM.  What would happen?

Hello again,

You really need to do some better research...

My only claim was that the Apple Watch plan needed to be set-up by the iPhone and that was the reason why Fido's standalone data plan would not work. Freedom's Apple Watch plan still needs to be set-up on the iPhone.

Apple Watch.jpg

~taken from here.

The technical reason is that's the way Apple designed the device to be used. The Apple Watch's plan needs to be set-up on the iPhone. One can't even use an iPad to set-up an Apple Watch plan. Over the years, people have tried to circumvent a way around Apple's design. You are not the first one to think of it. That means that both the iPhone and Apple Watch need to be using the same carrier:

Apple Watch 2.jpg

~taken from here.

@brandoc wrote:..

Previously everyone said "the watch and phone have to have a share everything plan" but apple just last week decided that isn't necessary, because they just granted Freedom mobile the ability to join their network...

The issue wasn't about having to share data. Why would Apple care whether data was shared with a phone's main plan or if it had its own data? Sharing data is consumer marketing. Consumers don't like the idea of having to pay data overages on their Apple Watches if their main plan still had ample data, or even unlimited data. The issue is that Freedom's Apple Watch plan still needs to be set-up on the iPhone. That is, the Apple Watch plan is paired with the iPhone's phone plan. It is not a standalone plan. Whether they share data or not, the two plans are associated with each other.

In case it wasn't clear: the two plans are paired with each other. Cancelling the phone plan would likely also cancel the Apple Watch plan. You probably could set-up the Apple Watch with a Freedom SIM and later replace the SIM with a Fido SIM. However, you would still have to keep the Freedom phone plan in order to keep the Apple Watch plan. So technically, you probably could use the device on two different networks. However, you'd still be paying for a phone plan you're not using. If you're thinking of using a friend's Freedom SIM to activate the Apple Watch, the plan would be associated with their account. You could have done the same with any of the other providers offering plans for the Apple Watch. Like I said, you're not the first to think of it. Freedom hasn't revolutionised the Apple Watch plan; it's generally the same as other Apple Watch plans. The difference is that they limit the amount of data available on the Apple Watch.

Cheers

brandoc

@Cawtau> "the iPhone and Apple Watch need to be using the same carrier"

as I always suspected, you were wrong @Cawtau and apple proved this month that you were. you previously said "the two plans are paired with each other" which I reiterated multiple times was false because "cellular plan-pairing" isn't a thing! it never was. Apple for whatever reason decided to program an arbitrary limitation into iOS that made it difficult, basically impossible unless you were jailbroken, to download an eSIM of the user's choice onto their watch.

Well, this month (sept 2020) apple decided to flip-flop and now they say it's ok to have two different carriers; one on your phone and a different one on your watch. here's a simple explainer from Truphone, the first apple watch partner for this new venture: https://streamable.com/gz9ygs

Hello @brandoc,

Boy, you really seem to like telling me I am wrong 🙄   However, nothing I mentioned was inaccurate. Did you even listen to the video??

...iOS 14 and Apple WatchOS 7, Apple have introduced an new feature that fundamentally changes how the apple watch works with iphone...

...Traditionally, the iPhone and the Apple Watch shared the same carrier, they shared the same mobile number...

Introducing a NEW feature means that it was not available previously. Seeing as the WatchOS 7 was just released September 16, 2020. That feature was NOT available in any of our previous discussions on the topic.

So at the time I had posted, YES, the iPhone and Apple Watch needed to be using the same carrier (they even said so in the video). And YES, the two plans were paired with each other. And YES, the cellular plans were paired because the Apple Watch plan needed to be activated on the iPhone.

I don't have a Magic Ball to predict how Apple decides to allow their customers to use their devices. I only provided the relevant information available at the time. Who knows, maybe the Apple Watch 7 will be implanted in your arm? 🤔

Cheers

brandoc

are you kidding me @Cawtau? the issue is that you invented a term and an entire concept. You won't find on apple's website, not now and never in the past, this term you invented "cellular plan pairing."  You know why? because it's NOT A THING

its not a thing on the Rogers website or literally anywhere. you INVENTED it, you tried to SELL us on it, and it's complete and utter nonsense. just apologize for having invented this term and then trying to use it to mislead everyone 

Hello again,

Your issue is terminology? Did I make up that term? No, it's been used in various forums and articles to decribe the issue. Like I said, you should do better research.

Question: Could one get a standalone plan for the Apple Watch? NO

Question: Could one use an iPad to activate the device? NO

Question: Could one get an Apple Watch Plan without an iPhone? NO

Question: Could one get an Apple Watch Plan with an iPhone without data? NO

Fact: The Apple Watch Plan needed to be set-up on an iPhone with a cellular data plan. **edit** That IS on the Apple website** I used the term cellular pairing to differentiate it from pairing via Bluetooth or Wifi. Whether that terminology is official or not is irrelevant. Can you think of a better terminology?

**edit** BTW, Adding an Apple Watch to your Cellular Plan is pretty much the definition of pairing. That's also from the Apple website**

Cheers

brandoc

> Question: Could one get a standalone plan for the Apple Watch?

YES you could @Cawtau even before -- you can have a dual sim phone with freedom & fido, then activate your watch on Freedom (who only does standalone plans for the watch by the way!) and then cancel your freedom plan but keep fido on the phone and freedom on the watch

> Question: Could one use an iPad to activate the device?

I never actually asked that question, but you should definitely see this interview with Apple's head of software engineering before you rule that one out.

> Can you think of a better terminology?

There is already a term for it, and I didn't have to invent it. It's called "tied selling" and you can read about it on the goverment of Canada's competition bureau website under section 77 of the Competition Act.

Hello again,

Haven't we already been over this??

@brandoc wrote:

> Question: Could one get a standalone plan for the Apple Watch?

YES you could @Cawtau even before -- you can have a dual sim phone with freedom & fido, then activate your watch on Freedom (who only does standalone plans for the watch by the way!) and then cancel your freedom plan but keep fido on the phone and freedom on the watch

That is NOT a standalone plan. If it were, then you wouldn't have to cancel the Freedom plan. You could have just gotten the Apple Watch plan. Did you cancel the the Freedom phone plan? Your Reddit seems to say otherwise:

Bren.jpg

~you know where that was taken from

Even if you were able to cancel your Freedom phone plan and keep the Apple Watch plan, you still needed the Freedom phone plan to set-up the Apple Watch plan. By definition, that is not standalone.

You even seem to acknowledge that the Freedom option is not standalone...

Reddit.jpg

Did you even listen to that Apple engineer?? He said it's a sensible... idea?. However, that does not mean it is currently possible. I'm not ruling anything out. I just provided information available at the time.

And no, it's not tied selling...

Cheers

brandoc

@Cawtau  > And no, it's not tied selling...

it is tied selling, and it isn't the first time that apple has used software to prevent users from enjoying the full protection of the law.