cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regret, leaving iPhone for lg g6

Shawn05p
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I just changed from years of iphone for an LG g6 thinking that android auto would be easier in my car but I miss my iPhone every day! Anyone else find converting hard?

**Edited to add tags and labels**

4 REPLIES 4

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Of couse it is hard.  It is a tough decision but you jumped ship.

Apple products are designed with a philosophy that states "it just works".  For that to happen, apple takes control of everything within their ecosystem.  All those years of iphone usage, you were told by Apple what you can use, what you should use, and what you are allowed to use. Anytime you want to explore something, Apple reminds you who is in control "Lightning cable, removal of 35mm plug,...etc" and what you have to do to get your devices to work (e.g., adaptors).  In work language, it is called "micro-management".

With Andriod, the design philosophy is very different. Here's the phone, you (the end user) is free to do anything you want.  The nice thing with Android phones is that you are not "forced" to use OEM accessories. The OS is designed to be customizable and OEM like LG or Samsung customize it to their liking. On top of that, the end user (you) can customize it even further. In other words, you will never run across an 2 Android phones that are the same even if the are made by the same manufacturer.  Many iphone users feel confused and insecure due to this ability to customize the phone.  Since no 2 phones are the same, one will have to relearn lots of things when they switch phones every 2 years. 

In short, the LG G6 is a great phone and I will choose that phone over any iphone (including iphone X) anyday. 

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

@EFTC your comment that iPhone "just works" might be interpreted that Android doesn't "just work". If it doesn't "just work", then I don't know what it means, because it's been flawless to me. When I changed phone the last time (Android to Android), all my contacts were there, my email was there (GMail), the phone even asked me if I wanted to reinstall all my apps (which I declined, because I didn't want all of them).

The only things that, as far as I know, don't "just work" are Apple-lock-in things, like iTunes. Of course, Apple has made it difficult on purpose, to lock users into Apple devices.

Since I wasn't using any of that, to me, the switch from iPhone to Android has been as significant as going from a dumb flip phone to a smartphone. Yes, I kept hitting barriers daily in an iPhone.

@Shawn05p out of curiosity, would you care to share what you're missing? There might be an easy path that you're not aware of.

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@zyx You have to look at things from an Apple user's perspective. Many apple users like to be in control.  They think the big boy is looking after them.

For us Android users, we like to be in control ourselves and don't need big boy to tell us what to do.  This is why when you made the switch you feel like a significant jump from a dumb phone to a smart phone.  Suddenly you realize there is so much I can do when I am not under Apple's control.  Some people like to be controlled even though they don't realize it.

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Shawn05p

Thanks for sharing your experience!

@Community anyone else having any trouble?