cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qi Wireless Charging

Manduh
I'm a contributor level 1
I tried doing a search but came up empty.
Is anyone able to provide me a list of phones offered by Fido which are compatible with Qi Wireless charging?
(Preferably right out of box)

This will heavily impact my next phone purchase decision.

Thank you
12 REPLIES 12

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey guys!

We've checked internally but we don't currently have a list of which of our phones are compatible with wireless charging. 

Here's a list I was able to find that might help but I'm not able to vouch for the accuracy of information offered here. 

Hopefully we'll have this info available soon!

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Manduh you can use GSMARENA to look up the full details for phones and it should help you because Fido does not list all the features for the phones.

I know the Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, S7 and the S7 Edge all have wireless charging.

Once you know which phone you want to can confirm with Fido if it has wireless charging, maybe a moderator can pull that info for all the phones they carry and let us know.

Manduh
Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately, I've already checked there but I'm not seeing anything to do with Qi capabilities on their specs pages. Also, Fido's phones are different models. For example LG G3 phones mostly have Qi capabilities; whereas, specifically, Fido's LG G3 does not. It uses PMA, which is useless because the needed accessories are impossible to find here.
I was just hoping someone had access to a feature search through Fido channels and could list the phones.

The two phones I'm specifically thinking about are LG G5 or the Pixel. I'd Google search but I don't know if Fido's would have the same specs or not because they don't list the model number.

Thanks for trying to help.

Hello Manduh,

I'm pretty sure Fido carries the same Canadian version of the LG G5 as the other Canadian wireless providers, the LGH831 (Silver or Titan). Unfortunately, I don't think it is compatible with wireless charging out of the box. It's likely to do with the Quick Charge feature of the phone. Fonesalesman does make a Qi wireless receiver which would be compatible with the LG G5 (and Pixel). However, charging wirelessly would be slower than charging with the cord. That said, LG recently announced their new wireless charging pad. It's supposed to be the first Quick charging pad. We can only wait and see how well it will perform.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey Guys!

We're going to check on this for you and we'll update this thread when we have more information. Smiley

@Manduh I'm not sure about the Fido G5 but the Pixel does not have wireless charging. 

Manduh
Thanks for all the help everyone!
Basically, I would like the feature because I'm a heavy phone user, for all the things, and with my current phone the charging cable port isn't snug anymore and constantly connects and disconnects. Phone is constantly buzzing while I use it and makes my touch go wonky, and because of the constant disconnect it barely charges unless I completely leave it alone. I still have 8 months before I can upgrade so I was trying to find a solution. Found out my phone is impossible to find wireless charging accessories for PMA so it basically makes my phone useless for my constant usage. Now that being said, when it comes time for my next phone or (if I rip out too much hair) I might decide to upgrade sooner, I really want there to be an alternative in case this happens again.
I have contacted a few repair places near but they said I need to replace the whole motherboard, they won't attempt just a port repair on these phones.
I'll keep searching Google until I find out as well.

P.S. I didnt realize Google got rid of it all together, such a shame. Sad

Again thank you for the help and suggestions!

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Wireless charging is usesless to me. It is slow and it takes to long to get the phone from 0 - 80%.  It's efficiency drops when the distance between the phone and the coil increases (i.e., you loose efficiency if you have a thick phone case) and if the phone is not placed on its sweet spot.  It is not very useful for high capacity batteries (>2,800 mAh) bacuse it takes super long to obtain a full charge. Of course you can opt for high speed wireless charging by Samsung, but you have to pay 60 - 70 dollars extra for this accessory and it is not compatable with every phone.

I used to have a Nexus 5 and I like the Qi wireless charging feature. Long comes a LG G3 and I looked into gettting PMA installed on the back cover of the phone and wireless charging never worked well with me.  Now I have a LG G5 and I never missed wireless charging (Qi or PMA) one bit. In fact, it is not even a needed option.

I put my focus on QC 3.0 which is standard on the LG G5 (or QC 2.0 which is standard on the LG G4).  I can charge a phone from 0 - 80% in about 30 - 40 minutes using an aftermarket QC 3.0 charger and a QC 3.0 capable cable.  The transformer and cable are small enough that I can throw them inside the bag or in my shirt pocket. I can juice up the phone while I am waiting for shuttle ride at the airport, at the gate, or in the airplane using the 110v outlet. THe best part is that you can still use the phone while it is charging and you don't have to look foolish holding the charging plate and phone together while talking.  

With this kind of charging speed I don't see the need to charge the phone while I am driving. In fact, I will probably opt for a 12V outlet instead of a build in Qi charging pad in the car. I can use the 12V outlet for other things (like GPS or radar detector).

In the end, if there is a wireless charger our there that can recharge the phone from 0 - 80% in 30-40 min then I will look into switching.  

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Qi wireless charging is plenty fast for me. No matter what the current charge is when I set it on the charger, it is always fully charged when I wake up in the morning.

To each his own, I guess! Smiley

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

If you leave a phone plugged in and let it charge overnight all will reach 100% (full) evantually.  Heck my macbook can charge from 0% to 100% overnight if I leave it plugged in long enough.

The challenge is can you plug your 0% dead phone into the charger (or place your 0% dead phone on the wireless charging pad and it will be 80% charged in less than 40 minutes or 80% charged in less than 30 minutes? QC 2.0, QC 3.0, and Dash charge (1 plus 3 phone) have this feature.

Hello again,

No worries Smiley

A quick note about wireless charging... I have it. It's great.

However, if you're a heavy phone user and like to use the phone while it's charging, wireless charging makes it a little akward. You have to hold both the phone and the charging pad at the same time. If the charger is one of the larger ones, you need rather large hands to hold both devices. On the other hand, if the charger is one of the smaller compact ones, correct placement of the phone on the charger can get finicky. Trying to hold it and use it at the same time takes more skill than I have. 

Additionally, you may end up using a cord to charge more often than you think. I envisioned never (at least rarely) having to use the charging port. However, I still haven't found a suitable Qi car charging option for my needs so I'm still plugging it in my car.

Just some thoughts Smiley

Cheers

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

@Manduh Google has abandonned wireless charging with the Nexus 5X and 6P, so the Pixel does not have wireless charging. Apparently there's no need for wireless charging because of the reversible USB-C plug. Looks like Google thinks wireless charging is for people too dumb to figure out how to plus a cable... Smiley

Bring your wireless charger plugged on a portable battery to a store and ask to put various models on it! Smiley