cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with SMS and Tethering

VL
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I got my iPhone 4 with a 3years contract 2 years ago.  However, as my as there is problem with the reception of my iPhone 4, I got a Samsung Galaxy Note as a replacement.  When I have switched to the new phone, even though there is no SIM card in my old iPhone 4, most of the SMS still goes to my iPhone 4 (I still have it turns on for other gaming or music with wifi).  I then found out that I can disable the SMS function in the iPhone 4.  However, is there any other way it can be done without disabling the SMS function in the iPhone 4? As I might give the iPhone 4 to other people for music/entertainment, and I don't want them to receive my SMS on that phone.

Another problem was with the Tethering with my Samsung Galaxy Note.  I have tried it a 2-3months ago and it worked perfectly fine.  However, when I tried it again yesterday and today, it's not working.  The two devices were connected, but no data could be used in both devices while the tethering was on.

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Amanda1
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey VL,

I know this is a pretty old thread but I thought I would provide some updated information in case anyone came across this in the future. :smileyhappy:

It is no longer necessary to have tethering enabled in your account and there is no longer any minimum data plan required.

For all plans released on or after August 3rd, 2011, which bill data overusage per increment of a specific amount of data that you go over your allotted usage (For example, $5/100 MB or $10/GB, the overusage rate is dependent on which plan you are subscribed to), tethering is enabled automatically. 

Hope this helps! 

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Hey VL!

In regards to the iPhone issue, I would suggest that you restore the phone as new while there is no SIM card in it. You would have to make sure that your music and applications are backed up on iTunes, but not the settings as they are what is causing the issue. Once the phone is restored as new, you may put your music and applications back in if you need them.

As for the tethering issue, it could be caused by your phone not having the proper APN settings or by your account not having access to the service. I would suggest that you first verify the APN settings to make sure that you have the following:

Name: Fido Internet/MMS
APN: fido-core-appl1.apn (if you have an LTE SIM, it's ltemobile.apn)
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS proxy : 205.151.11.13
MMS port : 80
MCC : 302
MNC : 370
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol IPv4

You will also require these for the tethering:

Name: Fido tethering
APN: isp.fido.apn
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: <not set>
MMS Proxy: <not set>
MMS Port: <not set>
MCC: 302
MNC:370
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: dun
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

If you have all of these in your phone and it still does not work, you would have to contact customer service and make sure that tethering is enabled in your account.

Let us know!