Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NovaTel MiFi SA-2100 not connecting.

randomuser12
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hey all,

I signed up for the $10 for 4GB data plan and wanted to use it on my NovaTel Mifi SA-2100 device but it fails to connect to the Internet.

I've confirmed that the Mifi 2100 is compatbiable with Fido using THIS link. I've also tested countless APNs, listed HERE and the web. The Mifi device claims that when I put in the Fido SIM that it is "ROAMING". I have tested the Fido SIM in a 3G phone and a LTE Tablet, both worked without issue.

What are my options here? Am I doing something wrong?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Randomuser12,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note that plan is Fido's Tablet plan. Voice and text messaging has been disabled on that plan (see here). In addition, do you know which version of that device you have? I understand you have verified the compatible bands/frequencies, but the Verizon version would not be compatible.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you'll be able to use that device outside of its intended target location (or with a different SIM). Is there a setting to enable roaming? The issue isn't with the Fido SIM per se, the device itself seems to have limitations within its firmware to possibly prevent the device from using other SIMs or outside its intended networks. It's not uncommon for some providers to place these types of limitations on the devices they sell. While the devices might technically be unlocked, the limitations can prevent usage on other networks or make doing so difficult or annoying (see here, here, and here). Even though those examples highlight issues with Verizon devices, other providers might also place similar limitations on their devices.

In addition, from the information I have read, that device (or at least some versions of that device) are used for telematics. If your device is indeed used for telematics, it may require special IoT or machine-to-machine (M2M) SIM cards. Does your device requre a M2M SIM card? I could be mistaken, but I don't think Fido offers a M2M or IoT SIM card or services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers