Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 8 SM-N950FD Weak Cell Signal LTE Network

mannou78
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I have bought a new Note 8 SM-N950FD (International Model). This phone supports all Fido LTE Bands.

I have configured APN details as mentionned in this guide (http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/configure-unlocked-device-guide)

Before adding this APN , Phone Cell Signal is strong and it works perfectly. As soon as I add the ltemobile APN then Cell becomes weak and I am only having one or two signal bars.

I have CS and requested to have line refreshed but this did not help.

I am wondering if I am missing any configuration.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

*** Edited to add labels ***

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mannou78,

Welcome to the community!

Judging by the specifications I have found for that version of the Note 8, you are correct that it has all of the compatible bands/frequencies.

Before you added the APN (phone with strong cell signal), did you notice to which network you were connected? If you were connected to the '3G' network, it's common to connect to that network with a stronger signal. With the exception of 700MHz (bands 12 or 17), the higher frequencies used on the LTE network do not travel as far or penetrate as much as the lower frequencies used on the UMTS or WCDMA networks (see graphic here).

The strength of signal also depends on a number of other factors, including your location relative to the cellular towers. The more relevant consideration would be whether you can use the LTE networks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mannou78

Hi   ,

Thanks for your reply. I checked APN link that you shared and I have the exact same.

You are completely right before adding the APN phone was getting full signal on 3G Network.

After adding APN weak signal is on LTE.

I have tried forcing the phone on working on 3G and signal improved.

I have other cell phones at home with Fido and I get stronger signal on LTE Network.

Since I am getting ok signal with other phones I assume I would get at least same quality signal with Note 8

Do you suggest that I request a new sim in case my current sim includes any information that would impact LTE reception 

Thanks again

Hello again,

Are you able to use data on the LTE network?

mannou78 wrote:...

Since I am getting ok signal with other phones I assume I would get at least same quality signal with Note 8...

That assumption might not necessarily be valid. It's not uncommon for different phone models to have differences in cellular reception. For example, a professor at Denmark's Aalborg University tested the performance of various mobile phone antennae (see here). I'm not sure how much we can extrapolate from his data because Fido/Rogers uses mostly different bands/frequencies. However, it does illustrate the large differences between phone models. 

In addition, different phones might illustrate the signal strength differently. There is no industry standard that relates cell phone signal strength to the number of bars on your phone.  For example, the same signal strength (-90dBm) might be shown as 3 bars on one phone and only 2 bars on another phone. It is far better to compare the actual decibels. -50dBm is great signal or full bars. -120dBm is very poor signal or a dead zone.

@mannou78 wrote:

Do you suggest that I request a new sim in case my current sim includes any information that would impact LTE reception...

I'm not sure if a new SIM would increase the LTE signal strength on the phone. Before requesting a new SIM, you might consider trying one of the SIMs from your other phones in the Note 8. If the LTE signal improves, getting a new SIM might help. On the other hand, if the LTE signal does not improve, then the issue is likely a result of the differences in antenna performance.

I'll ask again, are you able to use data on the LTE network? Many people get all caught-up with the number of bars on their phones and fail to realise that in most cases they can, in fact adequately access data with a mere 1 or 2 bars of signal.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mannou78

Hi  

Thanks again for your time.

Yes I am able to get LTE even with one bar (Speed up to 80 MB). However, I am concerned if the phone might be defective and facing an antenna hardware problem.

For now I am not facing call drops but I am concern this could happen.

So really what I am trying to understand is that if my phone is defective or if it is a configuration issue

Thanks

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Congrats on your Note 8.  It is a beautiful phone. 

Have you tried adding the APN following this guide: http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/thread-id/20239

Hopefully that helps fix your problem.