cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi calling switch on unlocked Samsung S6

Mcgyver
I'm a contributor level 1

Should be under the vibrate switch but it's not there.  How do i recify? Something I need to download from Fido????

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mcgyver,

Unfortunately, I do not believe you'll be able to use Wifi-calling (or other functions like voLTE) on an unlocked android phone. If you have a non-Fido Android device (e.g., you did not buy your device from Fido), Wi-Fi Calling will not work (taken from here).

Also note this thread.

Not what you wanted to hear, but hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Mcgyver

I specifically upgraded to a S6 (Fido says it supports S6 wifi calling) as my S5 was not able to do wifi calling and it would solve some of my coverage issues. I've had it with Fido, time to switch carriers......

Hello again,

Fido also specifically says: If you have a non-Fido Android device (e.g., you did not buy your device from Fido), Wi-Fi Calling will not work (taken from here).

Cheers

Mcgyver

Guess they forgot to mention that to me...... what a waste of time and effort.  Another cash grab.... "a Fido phone" Seems there are all kinds of "loopholes" with Fido, 50% extended network limit, have to "use" a Fido phone...never ends with these guys!

Hello again,

@Mcgyver wrote:

...Seems there are all kinds of "loopholes" with Fido, 50% extended network limit...

It's not a loophole. Extended coverage is the result of the roaming agreements between some of the mobile providers. I understand it's frustrating knowing that your extended coverage use might get restricted or limited if you exceed 50% usage. However, roaming is a courtesy between networks, generally available on a temporary basis and is not meant for long-term use. It's not Fido who wants to limit your use of the service. It's likely the network you're roaming on (as per the roaming agreements). If you're spending the majority of your usage on their network, they would rather you pay them monthly fees rather than to their competitors (ie Fido). I don't think any mobile provider would allow indefinite roaming on their networks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey Mcgyver!

We definitely wouldn't want to see you leave us over this, however,  as much as we would like to, we don't have a way to guarantee that any of the services we offer will be compatible with unlocked phones since they have not been configured for our network/services. 

As for use on the Extended Coverage, Cawtau is correct, access to Extended Coverage areas is meant for occasional use only. The use is being performed outside of the Fido network, on the networks of our partners within Canada (other service providers in areas where we do not have coverage) and that’s why there’s a limitation in place as to how much of the Extended Coverage you can use.

If you'd like us to take a closer look over your options, let us know, and we'll send you a PM.

Mcgyver

Have spent hours on the phone with Fido regarding the lack of coverage, it's only the past 4-6 months (been with Fido 5+ years) that something changed with Fido that i no longer get acceptable coverage at my home. My location didn't change and phone didn't change, something within Fido changed where i started to access the extended network more than "infrequently". Eventually Fido suggested a wifi calling phone and I got the S6 (not a Fido phone), was never explained to me that it "needed" to be a Fido phone..... guess my interpretation of a "compatible" phone does not include a locked to Fido phone $$$$$. I heard Samsung S6 as my S5 wasnt supported. Fido's loss as I look for another carrier for reliable coverage, tired of the runaround.

Hello again,

@Mcgyver wrote:

... something changed with Fido that i no longer get acceptable coverage at my home. My location didn't change and phone didn't change, something within Fido changed where i started to access the extended network more than "infrequently". ..

The likely reason for the loss of signal was mentioned to you in your other thread here.

If you were connecting to Fido/Rogers' 2G GSM network, then yes, Rogers is reducing their 2G capacity with a view to decommission it.

On the other hand, if you were connected to the other networks, there are likely other factors outside of Fido/Rogers' control (ie increased interference between cell tower and your location) which has reduced the signal. It's not uncommon. The new construction of buildings is ever growing. Each of those buildings have the potential to reduce cellular signal from any of the mobile providers to their customers. Even tree growth (over years) could provide enough interference to reduce signal!..

Unfortunately, that is the nature of cellular phones. They are dependent on cellular signals reaching the phones. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @Mcgyver,

Real sorry if there was any confusion in regards to WiFi calling! As for the network situation, we sadly can't guarantee indoor coverage.

However, I'd love to take a second look into it with you and see what's going on. We definitely wouldn't want to lose you and we're here to help as much as we can!

I'll send you another PM Smiley