cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need data to receive and send MMS pictures?

momtole
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have a data plan but it is limited. Quite often my phone (LG G3) turns off my data when I get near my limit which happens almost monthly. Everywhere I've read says that MMS does not consume data (or you don't get charged), but if I enable data on my phone, I may incur more charges because then emails and such will start to download. Help!

It seems a lot of my iPhone friend's texts come in as MMS even if it is just words.....

** Edited to add labels **

6 REPLIES 6

Keleno
I'm a participant level 2

Let's start with this: My phone is a 'Moto e5 Play'.

I have a plan that allows the use of data, and I understand that you need data on to send MMS, but everywhere that I have seen on the internet, along with posts coming from Fido itself, say that MMS does not consume data, yet when I turn on data quickly to send an MMS, it consumes about 0.12MB of data to send a picture message. I did a few tests to see what would be using the data, but came to the conclusion that the MMS is what's consuming it. One of the tests was: using a data saver, and turning off every app from being allowed to use background data, then sending an MMS. Nothing other than the MMS itself was used with the data on, but it still consumed data. 

I was on WiFi while doing this, and using the default messaging app for my phone. 

I want to figure this out because I don't have much data on my plan. If someone could explain how this works, and why, along with any solution to it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey @Keleno

Welcome to the Community!

I've moved your post here as it deals with the same topic.

You've got that right. Data has to be enabled to send MMS as it needs to pass through our data network servers to work correctly. This will not deduct any data from your monthly bucket though.

Can you clarify where is it that you monitor your data usage?

If it's the Fido application then keep in mind that it updates every 12 hours only. Are your background applications closed for that time period?

Keleno

I have a prepaid phone, so I can't use the app to check my data usage there. I check my data usage from the same place that I enable data on my phone, which is the default app in the settings. 

@Keleno wrote:.... I check my data usage from the same place that I enable data on my phone, which is the default app in the settings. 

Hello Keleno,

Welcome to the community!

Most phones do not distinguish the data within MMS from other data used. It all gets counted as data. On the other hand, the network does differentiate between data sent within MMS from other data and does not count that data against your allocated amount. Note however, when travelling outside of Canada, the data within MMS does count as roaming data.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Thanks for clarifying! Don't hesitate to reply to this tread or reach out in private if you have any more questions!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Momtole,

Welcome to the community!

It is true that data needs to be enabled on your phone or device in order to send/receive MMS. It is also true that any data contained within MMS does not count against your data allotments (note the data within MMS when roaming does count as roaming data).

I understand your predicament, however, there is little that can be done to prevent your phone's other functions from utilising data as well. That said, you might consider restricting background data on all of the apps you do not need regularly. It may help reduce some of your monthly usage.

It should be noted that multimedia message services (MMS) are not limited to just photo or video messages. Most iPhones have the option to add a Subject line to the messages (similar to email subject lines). However, including a subject line automatically convert SMS to MMS. You can ask your friends with iPhones to disable the subject field: Go to Settings --> Messages --> Show Subject Field --> Off.

Additionally, some devices have other functions that also convert SMS to MMS (ie some phones convert long-SMS to MMS). There may be a way to prevent your phone from converting SMS to MMS. If your MMS settings have MMS creation mode, the restricted setting should prevent the conversion.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers